having a house built

Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Default having a house built

We are considering having a wisteria built but of course they will not tell you the prices of the packages until you put your money down. We want an open kitchen, walk-in shower in master, and maple cabinets. Anyone have a ball park figure on this. We know that some of the pre-builts have all of this and more.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Red face Wisteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobolink46 View Post
We are considering having a wisteria built but of course they will not tell you the prices of the packages until you put your money down. We want an open kitchen, walk-in shower in master, and maple cabinets. Anyone have a ball park figure on this. We know that some of the pre-builts have all of this and more.
Ballpark figure should be about $195000 if you don't add any stretches. I am having a Wisteria built also with maple cabinets. I am very disappointed at how the cabinets look after being installed today. They have too much contrast - some doors/drawers are dark and some are very light and some are two-tone. They better correct them. They look nothing like the ones I saw at the Designer model Camellia over on Duchess Loop. I cannot believe that someone installed them in the house looking like that. So be careful with the maple.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Won't tell you prices of the packages until you put your money down.... Hmm that was not our experience when we were there 3 weeks ago. We spent a few days with a sales rep. We looked at existing homes and priced the same home on different lots with different packages and building options. This was without any money down. We were even emailed the building options (stretches, extended lani,) for a few of the floor plans we were interested in before we arrived in TV. Though this did not tell you the price for the building options. I guess our rep. was okay after all. You might want to push a little more. How can one make a commitment without knowing what the price will really be? Good Luck.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
That was not our experience at all --we were sitting in one of the models --the rep had a laptop and he put together the package we wanted right there
we had a price on the model we wanted in about 20 minutes --just needed a lot ---Which by the way we never found ---will try again in June --

good luck with your home
Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Not our experience either. Change your rep we used Cindy Hughes who was brilliant

Eric
Old 03-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
I agree with the other posts. Our rep told us the total price before plunking down the cash. (Note: we haven't yet but will give it another try in May).

Perhaps this was the case some time ago? Or maybe it varies rep to rep?

Last edited by Russ_Boston; 03-10-2010 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:49 AM
Gold member

This was the case for us back in 2008 when we built. The rep gave us ballpark figures for some things based on his ability to extrapolate between houses, but nothing firm. He said we could put together a complete package request and then get a firm price on it in about 3 days. If we were not happy with the price, we could request another configuration to be priced out, but then lose the guarantee of the first quote - and he definitely implied that if we went back to the first package that the new price would be higher. In retrospect, this was really just a fear tactic to get us to make a quick decision.

Bottom line is that I was not happy with our rep with the way he dealt with us. Others seemed to have much more accommodating reps and they ended up with houses more to their liking. I would change reps until you find one that you are comfortable with.

Last edited by NJblue; 03-10-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.