Lizards

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2015, 07:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Lizards

Our home has vinyl siding. We see lizards going behind the vinyl all the time. We believe this is the entryway into the enclosed lanai and then the house. Any ideas on how to keep the lizards out? Thanks.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

Can you get matching silicone caulk and use it in the areas where you see the anoles entering? If your house is new, I would also contact home warranty, to see if the siding was installed correctly.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:10 AM

I also have a vinyl sided house. Warranty office called out siding applicator he put some caulk in siding just before the screening on both sides of the lanai. I thought it worked but now starting to see some small ones. I also see somewhere between 10-15 around the house that go up into the bottom length of siding. There has to be a way to prevent the lizards from going under the siding. It can't be good if they are relieving themselves while in there. If there is a product to fix this, I would do it.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:16 AM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Been here 13 years now and our home has vinyl siding have yet to see or hear of a way to prevent it. Welcome to Florida. I knew of a neighbor that used double sided tape in her lanai basically to catch them. Pretty much they do not create a hazard and are harmless, but they breed like crazy. On the upside if you have the anoles around you most likely don't have snakes Anytime we found snakes on our property we did not see anoles as they make a good dinner for the snakes.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I have lived in Florida most of my life and never had a problem. Perhaps my previous cats got rid of the evidence.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:49 AM

One of our cats loves to catch the lizards that slip into our birdcage. We have formed a lizard rescue society. She brings them into the house, drops them to play with them, then we scoop them up and put them back outside. This annoys the cat but not the lizards.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:47 AM
Veteran member

We only ever have had one 'lizard' in our lanai. I have made a deal with him....I told him IF he just stays on the Lanai and won't go into the house, I will leave him alone. He said ok and hasn't been a problem ;-)
Old 03-18-2015, 11:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbkmaine View Post
One of our cats loves to catch the lizards that slip into our birdcage. We have formed a lizard rescue society. She brings them into the house, drops them to play with them, then we scoop them up and put them back outside. This annoys the cat but not the lizards.
We must have the same cat. Where you call it the "lizard rescue society" we call it "catch and release".
Old 03-18-2015, 11:54 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbkmaine View Post
So now the little guys know where to run to for rescue!
Old 03-18-2015, 06:11 PM
Gold member

Growing up in Florida in the 50's and 60's we had chameleons. They were so much fun! It was amazing to watch them change color as they went from one surface to another.

Fast forward and they are all gone. I guess the anoles are more aggressive and they won the survival of the fittest. I do miss the chameleons. Wish they were around to show our kids and grand kids.

Back in the day, no one had AC and the chameleons came and went as they pleased. Never a bother or worry. I don't think the anoles are anything to worry about either.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:52 PM

Dotti,
Do I have chameleons, or anoles, my lizards are light green, and very shy, I also have the brown ones known as anoles, I think. I'm up in Alhambra. They don't seem to cause any harm... I've never seen them defecate, not sure what that means. Bill
Old 03-18-2015, 07:14 PM
Sage

These critters are so small when they are young. We often have them out in the lanai. I expect they are coming up from the drains for the pool. I usually try to catch them with the pool net and put them back outside. Then the next day I notice another one. It's become a game. I haven't had one in the house as yet thank goodness. They stay out by the pool and the screens mostly, and not under the lanai where we sit.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:52 PM
Platinum member

my friends bought a preowned home here in The Villages. They are trying to figure out a way to add a sliding screen door between their screened in lanai and the house because the wife doesn't want the geckos in the house. There isn't a track for a sliding screen door. We have a big screened pool deck and we don't have a sliding screen door. Never even thought about needing one. we don't have the lizards in the house.

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 03-18-2015, 08:01 PM

My aunt used to call them "baby alligators".
Old 03-18-2015, 10:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts
Unhappy

I like the little lizie's, I even named couple. I don't like little insects. So I leave the Lizards alone. Some say they walk like dinosaurs, but I think the Hollywood Movie's made the Dinosaurs walk like the lizards.

I also run them off the pickleball courts after I seen one get splatted by the ball. I was very sad
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.