Having second thoughts!

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2015, 07:09 PM
Platinum member

Do what is right for "you"!!!
Old 03-18-2015, 07:40 PM

When in doubt: don't do it.
You should be feeling giddy, gung ho and all that, not having second thoughts.
Several of our friends have sorely regretted selling their homes and moving. Sometimes it is only one of the couple, but how can one person be happy and contented if their spouse is homesick and heartbroken that the home they loved is gone?
It has nothing to do with TV, it has to do with loving where you're planted but not realizing it till it's too late. Good luck. God bless.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:52 PM

Another consideration is that you will be leaving your doctors, your health care team and it is almost impossible to recreate that anywhere else. If you have a dire health situation and are getting quality care, I would not risk changing that.
Perhaps being a snowbird would work out really well for you.?? I doesn't have to be all or nothing.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:58 PM

My brothers and sisters and myself told our parents that they were crazy when they came to the Villages on a visit and bought a house. We were really upset and thought they didn't know what they were doing. What we didn't know is they knew better than us. They made lots of friends, joined in lots of the activities, and loved every minute in the Villages. Much better than staying up in New Jersey with nothing to do. We started to visit them in the Villages, as did my other brothers & sisters, and we began to love it also. We now have a house in the Villages, that we visit part of the time, from California; and, one of my Brothers has also moved there.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Sage

Moving away from family can be a very difficult decision. Like others have said, maybe rent here for a while to see if it's for you. For us, it was one of the most difficult decisions we have had to make .....moving away from my mom who is 87. We kept telling ourselves that life is too short and we need to make the move. We worked hard to get where we are and we really wanted to improve our quality of life after living in Upstate NY. Turns out we made the right decision to move to TV. My family now visits and my mom too! They love to vacation here. Plus we have FaceTime which makes it much easier. We have no family here but have made good friends whom we celebrate holidays with and have a lot of fun together. Everyone's circumstances are different and you have to do what is right for you. The best of luck to you.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:05 PM

I questioned my move when we were trying to get our house ready to sell, pack and move and plan my daughter's wedding! The stress of it all made me think twice about the decision to leave our home of 23 years and move here! Everything fell into place and the move to The Villages was the BEST move my husband and I made for ourselves! We love it! My grandson came for a week long visit during spring break- by himself! We took him to Disney BUT he actually preferred the Villages and the family pool! He had a blast! It's an adjustment, but everyone will be on board with your decision once they visit you in paradise.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:27 PM

Sell and rent for a year or so. That's what we did. Still not sure if we want to stay but I still have time to figure it out. Try before you buy. A short visit won't give you the same experience as living here.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:08 PM
Platinum member

the stress of selling a house and packing is real. We've all had it. I didn't think I'd survive it. however, it got done, and my life is so much better here. I do so much more here than I did back where I came from.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deestatham View Post
I'm having second thoughts about moving to TV. Our plans are to move by September. Our house goes on the market in 2 weeks and now I'm scared and having second thoughts. I don't understand this because I've wanted this for 5 years. The stress of selling the house and our families telling us we're making a mistake is really causing me to question what we're doing. Have any of you been here before?
Rent
Old 03-18-2015, 10:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Some in our family said the same thing but what they were really saying was we don't want want you to go because that would create hardships for us....who will baby sit the kids, who will do the holiday dinner etc. If they were really concerned about us they would have been excited for us but nope, they were concerned how us moving would change their lives. We moved, they accept it and guess who's coming to visit? You decide what's best for you, you decide what will make you happy and that's the drum to march too. What's the worst thing that can happen, you sell here and move back if it doesn't work out......this isn't a lockup. And I agree, if you haven't rented for an extended time you might want to try that first.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-18-2015, 11:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Whatever you decide, just make sure it 's what you want, and not what your families are saying you should want.
And listen to your Gut.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:38 AM

I like the idea of renting for awhile to see how I like it in TV, but I've been looking at the rents and - whoa! - they're ridiculously high. My goal is to pay off my mortgage in the next 4 years because I can't afford to retire (and live on my projected retirement income) if I have a house payment or rent. Most places I've looked at want about $1,800/mo during the off season and about $3,600/mo during peak season!! I certainly can't afford that after I quit working (or even now while I do work).
Old 03-19-2015, 12:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-Bucks! View Post
I like the idea of renting for awhile to see how I like it in TV, but I've been looking at the rents and - whoa! - they're ridiculously high. My goal is to pay off my mortgage in the next 4 years because I can't afford to retire (and live on my projected retirement income) if I have a house payment or rent. Most places I've looked at want about $1,800/mo during the off season and about $3,600/mo during peak season!! I certainly can't afford that after I quit working (or even now while I do work).
I agree that rental homes can be pricey in The Villages, especially during high season.
There are many other communities which are less expensive.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:55 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Second and third and fourth thoughts

Moving is a very stressful event, but you will get through it. Tell them you will be back to visit often

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 03-19-2015, 01:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Come down and rent for a couple of months before you make a decision.
That is the only way you will have peace of mind when you decide.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.