He could have been dead.

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2016, 01:09 PM
Gold member
Default He could have been dead.

Today at 12:30 I was driving toward Buena Vista on Hendry when I almost hit a golf cart near the Collier Pool/Mail station.

The driver would have been dead. Here's what happened:

1. He was wearing 2 ear buds
2. He made a left turn from the Golf Cart lane
3. He did not look to his left AT ALL!
4. He did not signal

I was directly beside him driving my Prius in the vehicle lane when he basically turned left into me as he turned left from the golf cart lane in to the Mail Center/Pool. Luckily I was able to slam on my brakes in time and missed him by bare inches.

I laid on my horn after the near miss, that is when he to glance at me, not knowing what had just happened.

I thought for sure I was going to hit him. I really don't know how I didn't! It was that close! I am still shaking.

I turned into the other entrance to the Pool/Mail station and stopped at his cart and told him what had happened. He had no idea how close he was to having this day be his last. He was very casual and nonchalant as I reminded him:

Please signal before a turn,
Please enter the traffic lane before turning left
Please look over your shoulder before initiating a turn
Please do not wear both ear buds.

He said "I'm not going to get into an argument with you." I replied, "I am not here to argue with you, just to ask you to be cautious and to let you know that I could have killed you."

He had his name on a club name badge he was wearing, which I will not name here.

Golf Carts are fun, they are everywhere, I love mine and use it every chance I get. But Golf Cart drivers need to be smart and defensive. Obey the rules of the road. Don't forget where you are.

I think his decision to turn into the mail station was a spur of the moment decision. At least I hope it was. But this man had no idea that he could have died today. He was just oblivious!

Be safe and drive defensively out there!!
Old 01-08-2016, 01:15 PM
Sage

Good move Dottie, been there done that--If your car ties with a golf cart-guess who loses?
Old 01-08-2016, 01:20 PM

Congratulations on your quick reflexes!!

Obviously the gentleman wasn't being mindful, and perhaps was too embarrassed to deal with it politely.

Have a nice cup of tea to relax you. You earned it.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:31 PM
Gold member

Surprisingly a LOT of people assume that the golf carts have the Right of Way! The Collier Pool/Mail stations is just crazy dangerous. One really needs to pay attention around there. I don't know if the other Pool/Mail stations are the same or if we just have more idiots in Collier.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
Surprisingly a LOT of people assume that the golf carts have the Right of Way! The Collier Pool/Mail stations is just crazy dangerous. One really needs to pay attention around there. I don't know if the other Pool/Mail stations are the same or if we just have more idiots in Collier.
My guess would be that the idiots are evenly distributed

Dotti, glad everyone was OK
Old 01-08-2016, 01:48 PM
Veteran member

An adult reply instead of "I'm not going to get into an argument with you" to Dotti (who approached him because she cares about human life even if acting stupidly) would have been:

"I am ashamed of myself for not paying better attention and I'll try to be more careful. I'm glad we didn't crash".
Old 01-08-2016, 01:50 PM

Wow! Was just on Buena Vista near Lopez and this lady was in her cart heading south on Buena Vista. Quite sure it was not street legal. I don't think she had a clue that she should not be on the highway. Ironically, the cart path was 10-20 feet to her right and easily accessible. Hope she made it safely.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimesintv View Post
An adult reply instead of "I'm not going to get into an argument with you" to Dotti (who approached him because she cares about human life even if acting stupidly) would have been:

"I am ashamed of myself for not paying better attention and I'll try to be more careful. I'm glad we didn't crash".
Well said.

But forgive me if I don't hold my breath waiting for THOSE words to ever fall out of someone's mouth after pulling a stunt like that
Old 01-08-2016, 01:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by debow View Post
Wow! Was just on Buena Vista near Lopez and this lady was in her cart heading south on Buena Vista. Quite sure it was not street legal. I don't think she had a clue that she should not be on the highway. Ironically, the cart path was 10-20 feet to her right and easily accessible. Hope she made it safely.
I think I passed her on 301 south of Ocala
Old 01-08-2016, 02:13 PM
Platinum member

You saved the guys life Dotti, and, based on his attitude, I can guarantee you he still has no idea he did anything wrong!!
Old 01-08-2016, 02:31 PM
Platinum member

I hope he comes on TOTV....although probably not. He needs to realize how brainless his actions were.

Thank goodness you didn't hit him Dotti.....mainly because of how you would have felt for the rest of your life. You did good!!!!
Old 01-08-2016, 02:51 PM
Platinum member

It's that time of year.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I can see this thread spiraling into another you know what abyss. I'm outta here and no I won't pass you the popcorn.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:58 PM
Sage

Are wearing music ear buds legal in car or cart? I think that is a very dangerous behavior and am amazed at how many golf cart drivers do this. Why not have a Bluetooth speaker? You need your ears to safely operate a vehicle.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts
Default Yipsters!

I read a story this morning that recommends that ALL seniors should ONLY make right turns, isn't that what UPS routes do????? Suppose to contribute
to living to a ripe old age, Yipsters!
Closed Thread

Tags
left, golf, cart, lane, turn, turned, happened, station, decision, close, idea, mail, today, ear, dead, buds, hit, driving, pool/mail, wearing, signal, killed, cautious, defensively, carts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.