He could have been dead.

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2016, 11:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
Dotti, Good but scary posting - and must commend you for handling the situation as a wise adult. Not sure if my temper could have been diffused. 2 quickies:

1. Yesterday going to the postal station. Was in GC lane following a relatively slow cart ahead of me. About 50' from the left on the road to enter the PO, I signaled and went into the car lane to make the left. About 15' from the turn the GC guy whipped right in front of me and made his left - probably never saw me. It was close but...I didn't confront him in the lot. I saw the driver was in 40s and had his grown son with him - they were going to play bocci...didn't want to start anything, probably a short-term renter or guest...

2. Walking our pooch this afternoon on our street (no GC lane), saw a newer cart with an "older guy" traveling quite slow - like 8mph. Saw him 2 more times, maybe he was going around the block. Then he stopped by me and asked if he should get gas. I was a bit dumbfounded, said I have an elec cart. Then I asked him what his gauge read - got a blank look back. Long story short, he just got here with his wife - renting a house and the cart came with it. He said he was going to Winn Dixie. Well, that would mean he rides on neighborhood streets then Pinellas with GC lane to a tunnel etc etc. I told him that it was a bit complicated to get there but his tank was 1/2 full. Nice guy, but when he putted off I was hoping that he (and others) would be OK. Now I have second thoughts if I should have been more helpful or been strict with him. oh oh. oh well.
Further proof that landlords providing a golf cart (probably uninsured for liability because insurers will not write rental golf cart policies) is the dumbest thing ever! The renters do not know what they're doing, and then they'll let their 10-year-old grandkids drive it with 3 other kids hanging off the sides and back with no seatbelts.

It takes weeks to navigate one's way under roundabouts and thru tunnels and come up and go in the correct direction, and to know the kinds of pitfalls there are to driving a cart here, amongst cars, giant trucks, and trucks with trailers.

Last edited by goodtimesintv; 01-08-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimesintv View Post
Further proof that landlords providing a golf cart (probably uninsured for liability because insurers will not write rental golf cart policies) is the dumbest thing ever! The renters do not know what they're doing, and then they'll let their 10-year-old grandkids drive it with 3 other kids hanging off the sides and back with no seatbelts.

It takes weeks to navigate one's way under roundabouts and thru tunnels and come up and go in the correct direction, and to know the kinds of pitfalls there are to driving a cart here, amongst cars, giant trucks, and trucks with trailers.
I think that is a very good post. Based on what we saw on our 4-day visit in November, we have no interest in driving a golf cart around The Villages. A small car like a Civic will work just fine for us.

While we were there, the guy driving behind us on 441 got read-ended by a Mack truck and his vehicle got pushed into us, doing a considerable amount of body damage.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:18 AM
Sage

It's astonishing how many golf cart drivers make a left-hand turn from the cart path on a road, rather than merging with traffic and signalling their intention.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:27 AM

Was driving home tonight on Buena Vista and passed a regular golf cart, no street legal plate. It crossed the intersection with 466 after I turned and kept on going.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:57 AM
Gold member

Hard to fix "Stupid"
Old 01-09-2016, 08:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimesintv View Post

Hence, the reason for ambulance chaser highway billboards. Back in the day I preferred the beer & whiskey ones.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:57 AM

I was coming home after visiting Oxford Oaks going east on 466, when I was shocked to see a golf cart in front of me. I thought maybe the person had gotten lost and was heading back to The Villages, but that person made a left onto 301 heading north.

A couple of nights later we were heading home from Spanish Springs and had a car heading toward us on the golf cart path. It was dark, so I am sure the lady driving had visited someone at one of the facilities over there, and thought she made the street.

Try to be safe out there!!!
Old 01-09-2016, 09:24 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,300 Times in 536 Posts

No doubt in my mind that cars are safer than golf carts in TV. Why? For all the reasons others have already posted on this Thread. I've seen some of the same "things" myself after almost 10 years in TV. This time of year---January-April----it behooves us to be aware of our surroundings while driving both our golf cart and our car.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
No doubt in my mind that cars are safer than golf carts in TV. Why? For all the reasons others have already posted on this Thread. I've seen some of the same "things" myself after almost 10 years in TV. This time of year---January-April----it behooves us to be aware of our surroundings while driving both our golf cart and our car.
Well said. The traffic does seem to be getting worse and worse with each passing year since we moved here in June 2005.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:48 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
No, we did not stop. We had spent the day at Crescent Beach and were driving back to Gainesville and I hit the dog a little east of Hastings. It was getting dark and it was a busy narrow road with a ditch on the right side. I kept driving.....
....I am at a loss for words (at least the ones I can post on here)!!!
Old 01-09-2016, 12:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
You could certainly post these words:

"When my dog is off my property, I will keep it on a leash."
Old 01-09-2016, 02:59 PM
Sage

Almost nailed 2 golf carts who both barreled thru the stop sign @ the Bailey Trail gate of of the Lake Miona Rec Center--UNBELIEVABLE
Old 01-09-2016, 03:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Ahhh, life in the Villages....
Old 01-09-2016, 05:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Almost nailed 2 golf carts who both barreled thru the stop sign @ the Bailey Trail gate of of the Lake Miona Rec Center--UNBELIEVABLE
That's a tough one, and if you're coming through the Bailey Trail gate from BV, the gatehouse blocks your view of the cart path on the left.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:42 PM
Sage
Thumbs down

Quote:
A few years later, I was driving with my future wife one evening and a dog ran in front of us. I slowed down but did not swerve to either side, and I hit the dog really solid. I probably killed it.
Quote:
You didn't stop to find out if you killed the dog? Please tell me you did stop!!!
Quote:
No, we did not stop. We had spent the day at Crescent Beach and were driving back to Gainesville and I hit the dog a little east of Hastings. It was getting dark and it was a busy narrow road with a ditch on the right side. I kept driving.
Quote:
NYGuy, I join you in your disbelief.
No one expects a motorist to swerve into the path of an oncoming vehicle and risk your life, and that of others, to avoid a dog.
But I would expect you to brake and pull over. To help if at all possible. And to show some feelings, some compassion and regret.

Last edited by Barefoot; 01-10-2016 at 12:51 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
left, golf, cart, lane, turn, turned, happened, station, decision, close, idea, mail, today, ear, dead, buds, hit, driving, pool/mail, wearing, signal, killed, cautious, defensively, carts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.