Headlight Requirements for Golf Carts

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2019, 02:11 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default Headlight Requirements for Golf Carts

While driving and doing errands this afternoon I was greeted with the daily 3pm downpour about 45 min early. There were a substantial amount of golf carts caught in the rain, but still driving. Less than half of them had their headlights on, including the many that were on roadways shared with automobiles etc. The rain was coming down pretty hard, and they (headlights off carts) were difficult to see.

If cars need to have their headlights on, shouldn;t the carts do the same ?? It's more a matter of their safety.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

"Should" is a loaded phrase.

I personally would not drive one without headlights and turn signals on or around real cars.

But, golf carts are not "street legal" and are not allowed on streets with "real" cars. If you have a cart that is street legal (LSL) it has to have lights, brakes, etc.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:35 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default not allowed on streets ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
"Should" is a loaded phrase.

I personally would not drive one without headlights and turn signals on or around real cars.

But, golf carts are not "street legal" and are not allowed on streets with "real" cars. If you have a cart that is street legal (LSL) it has to have lights, brakes, etc.
Of course they are allowed on streets !! They are everywhere .. You have a golf cart lane on major thoroughfares throughout the villages ! You are confusing street legal requirements vs MMPs .. but haven;t you noticed golf cart lanes on every major street within the gates ? how do you suppose golf carts get from their home to a MMP ? or a country club etc ...
Old 08-14-2019, 02:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

I find the new lights so bright they are a safety hazard to oncoming traffic.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
While driving and doing errands this afternoon I was greeted with the daily 3pm downpour about 45 min early. There were a substantial amount of golf carts caught in the rain, but still driving. Less than half of them had their headlights on, including the many that were on roadways shared with automobiles etc. The rain was coming down pretty hard, and they (headlights off carts) were difficult to see.

If cars need to have their headlights on, shouldn;t the carts do the same ?? It's more a matter of their safety.
Here is the rub, FL law, if your wipers are on, your headlights (NOT daytime running lights) MUST be on, golf carts No wipers.....
I agree completely with your point, in the rain, put your lights on and be SEEN by other drivers. For a long time i would flash lights, etc., to try and get a driver to put on their lights, the results were so poor, I gave up.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Of course they are allowed on streets !! They are everywhere .. You have a golf cart lane on major thoroughfares throughout the villages ! You are confusing street legal requirements vs MMPs .. but haven;t you noticed golf cart lanes on every major street within the gates ? how do you suppose golf carts get from their home to a MMP ? or a country club etc ...
I suppose the golf carts stay in their lanes and only cross streets where they have marked crossings.

Being on the MMP is not the same as being out in the traffic. Try driving down the "real" street and you face a serious fine, same with going more than 20 mph - you can do it, but you risk a big fine.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
I am guessing he was referring to LSV carts AKA street legal that are driving down Morse or BV or 301 or 44A or Powell Rd or 466A east of Powell or Rolling Acres where "regular" golf carts are not permitted.

As for the topic of this post golf carts are supposed to (and should) follow all rules of the road when they are on one so that likely means turning on headlights or those big bright blinding front LED's some have when it rains. Wouldn't worry much about getting ticketed though for that for either a GC or a MV because the officer would have to stand out in the rain to write one. .

EDIT: Those ^%%^*& ultra bright 50-LED single headlights on some GC's are a danger in themselves. Blinding and unnecessary.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I suppose the golf carts stay in their lanes and only cross streets where they have marked crossings.

Being on the MMP is not the same as being out in the traffic. Try driving down the "real" street and you face a serious fine, same with going more than 20 mph - you can do it, but you risk a big fine.
I drive down two streets (with no separate area for golf carts) to get to Morse Boulevard, and they both seem real to me?
Old 08-14-2019, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

All golf carts and school buses...should have safety belts.

All motorcycle drivers...should wear helmets.

All...ahhh, never mind.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I drive down two streets (with no separate area for golf carts) to get to Morse Boulevard, and they both seem real to me?
Not enough information. Are they 20mph neighborhood roads, or 35 mph connecting roads.

If they are 35 mph roads/streets then from what I understand if your cart is not a LSL and licensed then you are breaking the law - hence the term "not street legal". Whether the law is enforced, and whether there are exceptions, or whether I am just plain wrong - I don't know.

But, I could certainly could be wrong.

I expect the idea behind a GOLF CARt is to use on a GOLF CORSE not a road. I assume further most people do not play golf too late at night, so headlights would be a seldom used option - but I could be wrong.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:

With only a couple of exceptions (most of Morse Blvd, is one of those exceptions), golf carts can drive on all the streets in the Villages. They are real, public roads, accessible by normal motor vehicles. Most of them don't have special lanes dedicated to golf carts. The state/county roads prohibit golf cart traffic but they are the exceptions to the rule.

Regardless, I agree that golf cart drivers need to be more aware of their own vehicle. Turn signals ON when turning, OFF when you're done turning, headlights ON at dusk til dawn and when the sky is dark from rain or cloudy skies. Or, just turn them on and drive with them on all the time. That way you never have to forget to turn them on - you only have to remember to turn them off when you're done.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:57 PM
Sage

I see many vehicles driving without their lights on during the rains here!! Cars, trucks and yes golf-carts too. I have said that people bring their bad habits with them. That goes for not signaling, going way over the speed limits and more. It is dangerous not to have your lights on when the torrentials are happening.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

And as a Public Service Reminder...DO NOT USE YOUR EMERGENCY FLASHERS IN RAINSTORMS!

It's illegal.

Hazard Lights Illegal (Click Flashers Here)

Quote:
On a rainy Tampa Bay day, you might notice interstate message boards that read “lights on, hazards off.”

It’s a mandate many drivers ignore, insisting that the hazard lights make themselves more visible to other motorists, and therefore safer. The opposite is true, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

The FHP explains, turn signals and hazard signals are considered communication devices. Hazard lights alert troopers and other motorists that there’s a crash or broken-down car ahead. When drivers are simply communicating “it’s rainy” it sends the wrong message to other motorists, as well as law enforcement officers.

Moreover, because hazard lights override your vehicle’s turn signals, you’re potentially putting yourself and others in danger. That’s why the use of hazard lights at any time while driving is against the law.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Not enough information. Are they 20mph neighborhood roads, or 35 mph connecting roads.

If they are 35 mph roads/streets then from what I understand if your cart is not a LSL and licensed then you are breaking the law - hence the term "not street legal". Whether the law is enforced, and whether there are exceptions, or whether I am just plain wrong - I don't know.

But, I could certainly could be wrong.

I expect the idea behind a GOLF CARt is to use on a GOLF CORSE not a road. I assume further most people do not play golf too late at night, so headlights would be a seldom used option - but I could be wrong.
You are making a lot of poor assumptions...…….

A suggestion:
The VHA
Golf Cart Safety Clinic
3rd Wednesday 9AM, Colony Cottage

Last edited by Bogie Shooter; 08-14-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I see many vehicles driving without their lights on during the rains here!! Cars, trucks and yes golf-carts too. I have said that people bring their bad habits with them. That goes for not signaling, going way over the speed limits and more. It is dangerous not to have your lights on when the torrentials are happening.
I see most vehicles don’t use turn signals. What’s up with that? Retired from signaling. Worst problem, more so than others. Only a dumbo would not turn on the headlights in rain. Lots of them are here and just lazy, I think
Closed Thread

Tags
carts, headlights, rain, golf, driving

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.