Headlight Requirements for Golf Carts

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2019, 05:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

I apologize, I did not realize that The Villages are exempt from Florida laws concerning street legal vehicles.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,462 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
I apologize, I did not realize that The Villages are exempt from Florida laws concerning street legal vehicles.
They are not exempt. It's just that on MOST roads in the Villages, golf cart use complies with existing law. In the state of Florida, golf carts may be driven by anyone over 14 years of age on roads where the speed limit is 25mph or lower.

That's a general summary of the part of the state law that applies to the thread.

The speed limit in most of the villages is 25 and lower.

Here's the actual law, on the government website:

Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine
Old 08-14-2019, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
Of course they are allowed on streets !! They are everywhere .. You have a golf cart lane on major thoroughfares throughout the villages ! You are confusing street legal requirements vs MMPs .. but haven;t you noticed golf cart lanes on every major street within the gates ? how do you suppose golf carts get from their home to a MMP ? or a country club etc ...
Sorry, but Buena Vista, 466 and 466a do not have diamond (cart) lanes.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
They are not exempt. It's just that on MOST roads in the Villages, golf cart use complies with existing law. In the state of Florida, golf carts may be driven by anyone over 14 years of age on roads where the speed limit is 25mph or lower.

That's a general summary of the part of the state law that applies to the thread.

The speed limit in most of the villages is 25 and lower.

Here's the actual law, on the government website:

Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine
Okay, so then my bad above was thinking the limit was 20 mph, and that the roads between neighborhoods were/are 35mph.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Not enough information. Are they 20mph neighborhood roads, or 35 mph connecting roads.

If they are 35 mph roads/streets then from what I understand if your cart is not a LSL and licensed then you are breaking the law - hence the term "not street legal". Whether the law is enforced, and whether there are exceptions, or whether I am just plain wrong - I don't know.

But, I could certainly could be wrong.

I expect the idea behind a GOLF CARt is to use on a GOLF CORSE not a road. I assume further most people do not play golf too late at night, so headlights would be a seldom used option - but I could be wrong.
Hey GrumpyOldMan, I know you are new to the Villages and are buying in the Villages south, so you have a lot to learn about golf carts in the Villages. Golf carts are a primary source of transportation for many Villagers, not just for golf. In fact, many non-golfers still use golf carts way more than their cars. If we don't need to leave the bubble, we almost never use a car. We go shopping, to concerts and shows, to dinner, to town squares, to the sports pools, to the dog parks, and many other places besides golfing in our carts.

Also, golf carts are not just for neighborhoods with a 20 MPH speed limit. Where we live, we often have to drive on Morse Blvd., in the dedicated golf cart lane, that is only separated from car and truck traffic often going in excess of 35 MPH, by a painted white line in the road. And we drive our carts at night so lights are a necessity.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
I find the new lights so bright they are a safety hazard to oncoming traffic.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Hey GrumpyOldMan, I know you are new to the Villages and are buying in the Villages south, so you have a lot to learn about golf carts in the Villages. Golf carts are a primary source of transportation for many Villagers, not just for golf. In fact, many non-golfers still use golf carts way more than their cars. If we don't need to leave the bubble, we almost never use a car. We go shopping, to concerts and shows, to dinner, to town squares, to the sports pools, to the dog parks, and many other places besides golfing in our carts.

Also, golf carts are not just for neighborhoods with a 20 MPH speed limit. Where we live, we often have to drive on Morse Blvd., in the dedicated golf cart lane, that is only separated from car and truck traffic often going in excess of 35 MPH, by a painted white line in the road. And we drive our carts at night so lights are a necessity.

Thank you for the information.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post

On that section of Morse the speed limit is 30 MPH.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
On that section of Morse the speed limit is 30 MPH.
That's an important thing to know for car drivers and "street legal" vehicles.

Communities are allowed to impose stricter rules on the roads that run through them. It's good that Morse has a designated golf cart lane in the places where cart driving is allowed.

The cross-over from Morse to the crossover MMP at Hope Lutheran Church by 466 is scary as all get out though. I wish there was some way to move that further away from the intersection, or have a traffic light that works like a walk light; you'd have to press the button to activate it.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:04 AM

Isn’t there tunnels and golf cart paths in that area?
Old 08-15-2019, 09:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarriors View Post
Isn’t there tunnels and golf cart paths in that area?
Yes, but only to the south. Not where Jazuela is talking about.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
That's an important thing to know for car drivers and "street legal" vehicles.

Communities are allowed to impose stricter rules on the roads that run through them. It's good that Morse has a designated golf cart lane in the places where cart driving is allowed.

The cross-over from Morse to the crossover MMP at Hope Lutheran Church by 466 is scary as all get out though. I wish there was some way to move that further away from the intersection, or have a traffic light that works like a walk light; you'd have to press the button to activate it.
That crossover is an insane piece of engineering that baffles the usually thought out cart path plans.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2019, 10:10 AM

Plenty of room to push that crossover further North, issue is the gate with 2 lanes and traffic not sequenced causing unpredictable traffic flow for those trying to turn. Push it further North where it’s a single lane and add some stop signs. With all of the traffic, speeds and golf cars, a few more stop signs in the Villages would be safer for all. Yes it would be inconvenient, but you’re retired now, quit running so fast, those days are thankfully over.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarriors View Post
Plenty of room to push that crossover further North, issue is the gate with 2 lanes and traffic not sequenced causing unpredictable traffic flow for those trying to turn. Push it further North where it’s a single lane and add some stop signs. With all of the traffic, speeds and golf cars, a few more stop signs in the Villages would be safer for all. Yes it would be inconvenient, but you’re retired now, quit running so fast, those days are thankfully over.
The gate issue is why they might want to look into a walk-signal-type of thing.

I can see it in my head but not sure I can describe it right. Here goes, anyway:

Carts heading south toward the gate, veer *right* to a cart-way. Basically just a really big chunk of sidewalk where carts can turn, facing the other side of the road.

At that spot, there is a traffic pole with a big button, just like a walk signal button at any main intersection that has traffic lights.

The cart driver can reach out and push the button; he is already positioned to cross the street because he turned off the road-lane onto this sidewalk platform thing.

When the signal activates, the gates from the south side of Morse go down, and a NEW gate placed further north (on the south-moving side) also goes down, stopping other vehicular traffic.

This section of road is now clear for carts (and pedestrians - that's a MMP on the other side of the road!) to cross Morse Blvd. After a certain period of time, a buzzer buzzes to warn traffic that the signals are about to change, the gates go up, and the next batch of cart drivers start lining up until the next signal activates.

When no one is trying to cross the street, the gates could theoretically be left up.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

What is the accident history at this location? If it ain’t broke why fix?

Tags
carts, headlights, rain, golf, driving

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.