Headlight Requirements for Golf Carts

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2019, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
"Should" is a loaded phrase.

I personally would not drive one without headlights and turn signals on or around real cars.

But, golf carts are not "street legal" and are not allowed on streets with "real" cars. If you have a cart that is street legal (LSL) it has to have lights, brakes, etc.
All golf carts used in The Villages have head lights. Golf carts do share the roadways with regular vehicles (such as within the residential streets and cart paths along main roads such as Odel Circle). All drivers should use common sense when it is raining. Turn on headlights when it rains while driving a golf cart. I don't know if this is a "law" around here but it certainly is common sense to want to be visible to other vehicles, whether they are golf carts or cars.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post

EDIT: Those ^%%^*& ultra bright 50-LED single headlights on some GC's are a danger in themselves. Blinding and unnecessary.
Our golf cart has high beams and they are WONDERFUL when driving on a dark MMP at night. They light up the path so I can see easily what is ahead and I feel very safe driving at night. Of course, I knock down the brights to the regular beam when another cart is coming toward me.......just like I do when I'm driving my car on a dark road at night.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post

I expect the idea behind a GOLF CARt is to use on a GOLF COURSE not a road.
Not in The Villages. Have you noticed the infrastructure here in The Villages to support golf cart travel to everywhere within our bubble?
Old 08-15-2019, 03:16 PM
Sage

///
Old 08-15-2019, 03:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Its all been said before.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Our golf cart has high beams and they are WONDERFUL when driving on a dark MMP at night. They light up the path so I can see easily what is ahead and I feel very safe driving at night. Of course, I knock down the brights to the regular beam when another cart is coming toward me.......just like I do when I'm driving my car on a dark road at night.
Not referring to high beams. I have them too. I am referring to those huge square LED panels that look about 12" x 18" that they mount in between the headlights. Same things that are used on off-road vehicles for dirt racing. They are bright blinding white and are illegal for use on a regular car.

Similar to these but look more like flat panels: 6.5" Quad-Row Off-Road LED Light Bar - 55W Flood Light- 5,040 Lumens | Super Bright LEDs If you had one coming at you on the MMP you would know what I am referring to.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
The cross-over from Morse to the crossover MMP at Hope Lutheran Church by 466 is scary as all get out though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
That crossover is an insane piece of engineering that baffles the usually thought out cart path plans.
That is why I usually don't drive my golf cart on Morse.
I agree, it's an insane piece of engineering.
Back when the population was 40,000, it was not great, but tolerable.
Now when the population is three times that, it's horrible.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:02 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I agree Bare, Morse is not a safe roadway for carts IMO.
I have driven it rarely in the daytime but would rather take an a$$ kicking than drive it at night. When we go to SS, which we do often, we take the automobile.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
The cross-over from Morse to the crossover MMP at Hope Lutheran Church by 466 is scary as all get out though. I wish there was some way to move that further away from the intersection, or have a traffic light that works like a walk light; you'd have to press the button to activate it.
It would definitely help if the gate attendant would hold back the auto traffic after a few cars are allowed to pass in order to let a few golf carts through. When the gate attendant let's the two lanes of car traffic through on an alternating basis, there is a non-stop flow of cars and carts can't get to the MMP. On the rare occasion that I am driving a car (almost always in a cart) I will stop and block the car traffic behind me to let some golf carts through. The cars behind me always start beeping their horns at me, but I don't let it bother me, I know all too well what it's like to be in a golf cart at that particular spot.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Can you imagine pedestrians trying to walk across the street there? There are village neighborhoods on either side of Morse in that area, one would think someone might actually want to walk to a friend's house once in awhile instead of having to drive just a couple of blocks away.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Not referring to high beams. I have them too. I am referring to those huge square LED panels that look about 12" x 18" that they mount in between the headlights. Same things that are used on off-road vehicles for dirt racing. They are bright blinding white and are illegal for use on a regular car.

Similar to these but look more like flat panels: 6.5" Quad-Row Off-Road LED Light Bar - 55W Flood Light- 5,040 Lumens | Super Bright LEDs If you had one coming at you on the MMP you would know what I am referring to.
Oh my. I haven't seen any carts with those. I can see how they are completely different than cart head light high beams. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I realize now where this crossover is. I have driven it only twice. We live south of 466 but do not take our cart any more on Morse north of 466. Hubby and I don't feel it is safe for golf carts.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

My Headlight are on all the time period. People have stopped me to tell them they're on my comment then you saw me. Period only replace the bulbs in each cat once in 10 years. And I drive my cart wherever I can go legally.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:27 AM

Back to the original question,

Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine

“(5) A golf cart may be operated only during the hours between sunrise and sunset, unless the responsible governmental entity has determined that a golf cart may be operated during the hours between sunset and sunrise and the golf cart is equipped with headlights, brake lights, turn signals, and a windshield.
(6) A golf cart must be equipped with efficient brakes, reliable steering apparatus, safe tires, a rearview mirror, and red reflectorized warning devices in both the front and rear.”

Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine

“316.217 When lighted lamps are required.—
(1) Every vehicle operated upon a highway within this state shall display lighted lamps and illuminating devices as herein respectively required for different classes of vehicles, subject to exceptions with respect to parked vehicles, under the following conditions;
(a) At any time from sunset to sunrise including the twilight hours. Twilight hours shall mean the time between sunset and full night or between full night and sunrise.
(b) During any rain, smoke, or fog.”
Old 08-16-2019, 10:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
We live south of 466 but do not take our cart any more on Morse north of 466. Hubby and I don't feel it is safe for golf carts.
I also live south of CR 466.
I agree it's not safe for golf carts on Morse, especially at night, even with headlights on.
When I golf in the area, my stomach sinks, because I'm forced to take a golf cart.
Doesn't seem to bother anyone else we golf with.
We go for early drinks and dinner with the group.
I never thought I'd say this; but I try to be home before dark.
Closed Thread

Tags
carts, headlights, rain, golf, driving

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.