Recycling in TV

Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2007, 01:59 AM
Default Recycling in TV

Recycling is a good idea, however what I just read indicates the the recycling program is a good idea that will be implemented wrong. I just read whre the program will: 1) reduced the number of days that general garbage is picked up from 2 days a week to a singlepick-up per week (imagine how that will smell in that garage in August), 2) there will be NO reudction in the coast for general garbage pick-up envne thoug it is only a single pick-up per week and, 3) there will be a $2 additional charge for picking up recylcling items. Lets see if I got this right; we(the property owners) will pay some one to do half the work the same amount, the cost for the general pick-up will be less because there will be a reduced amount which will reduce the "tipping fees " that the trash haulers now pay thus increasing by a significant amout the profit for that company. We will pay extra for someone to haul away our recycle waste, who in turn will sell those items and again we will not benefit (other that a warm fuzzy). Anm I wrong or does this sound somewhat screwed-up? :dontknow:
Old 12-15-2007, 02:37 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: Recycling in TV

It sounds pretty typical. Garbage costs have gone up astronomically the past 5 years. I was very surprised to come here and find pick up twice a week and being able to leave out anything. I don't know of any community that has gotten a break for recycling being picked up. What I don't understand is that we have to provide different color (clear) bags for recycling -- plastic bags kind of defeat the whole purpose of recycling, don't you think. It is also surprising that pick up would be the same day for both. That's rather unusual. I'm also surprised they don't provide recycling bins. They're much more efficient.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-15-2007, 06:04 AM

No bins!!! Please no bins. Can't you see it now---bins left out for days all over the place--bins everywhere. I was against recycling ( not recycling but at the curb side recycling) but so many people yelled about it that here it is. We have always had to pay for recycling whether we did it or not. Should just have a place where you could take your stuff to recycle. I have often wondered how much of the stuff put out is really recycled.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope2b
I was against recycling ( not recycling but at the curb side recycling) but so many people yelled about it that here it is.
I do not believe that there were "so many people" demanding recycling. I think there was a relatively small group (The Village Greens and others) screaming the politically correct mantra about the world coming to an end if we don't recycle because we have to save the planet for the children. Kinda like so many of these movements, the agenda is couched in such a way that only a real ogre could object. Nothing is ever said about actual costs. All the letters to the editors seemed to begin "Up north, we had a recycling program that actually made money for the community. Why can't the developer do that?" Nothing was ever said about losing one of our two trash pickup days. Basically, it was those who pushed the program telling the rest of us to shut up, accept the program, and pay up. I expect TV management thought it easier to just cave in. I just hope they don't think that by conceding on this point, they'll satisfy the Group 3s. God knows what the next thing they'll suggest for our own good.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 12-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Veteran member

Muncle, I couldn't agree with you more. The silent majority takes it on the chin and in the pocketbook again.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncle
I do not believe that there were "so many people" demanding recycling. I think there was a relatively small group (The Village Greens and others) screaming the politically correct mantra about the world coming to an end if we don't recycle because we have to save the planet for the children. Kinda like so many of these movements, the agenda is couched in such a way that only a real ogre could object. Nothing is ever said about actual costs. All the letters to the editors seemed to begin "Up north, we had a recycling program that actually made money for the community. Why can't the developer do that?" Nothing was ever said about losing one of our two trash pickup days. Basically, it was those who pushed the program telling the rest of us to shut up, accept the program, and pay up. I expect TV management thought it easier to just cave in. I just hope they don't think that by conceding on this point, they'll satisfy the Group 3s. God knows what the next thing they'll suggest for our own good.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Sage

For comparison:

In MA I pay a private hauler (Waste Mgt.) around $38 per month for trash pickup (they provide a large bin) 1 per week. Every other week on the same day they pick up recycles (in bins they provide). They take everything i put out even if it goes over the one trash bin or the two recycle bins.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:58 PM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

WARNING!! This is a rant. 024

Wow....... what's wrong with this picture ???

Now I can't think of too many folks who object to recycling or who don't understand the concept except perhaps my mother who feels it's nasty, disgusting and beneath her so my father takes responsibility for it. She's always reminding him to not leave those big, ugly, wheeled behemoths in front of the house. Pick up for all refuse and recyclables is once a week and at least the hideous receptacles are uniform throughout the city. They live in the San Francisco Bay area so generally heat and thus odoriferous trash are not usually an issue.

Here at my house we use big blue rectangular recycle bins which rate a minus 10 on the chic-o-meter. The bins are supplied by the city of Boston; note supplied not free because the bin cost is included in our exorbitant city taxes. Recyclables are collected on our one trash day then those empty ugly bins and nasty garbage containers in varying states of decay are left strewn about the street & sidewalk. Definitely less than ideal.

I for one was all excited when I heard that refuse in TV was picked up twice a week.... no stinky trash hangin' around for me to complain; "what's that stench?!?!?!?!?!?!" :: which is my mantra during warm weather. I was concerned that no provision was made to address recycling. Needless to say I was somewhat more than skeptical when the TV salesperson responded to my question regarding recycling by saying, "Oh "they" sort through "it" afterwards separating the trash from recyclable stuff." Hmmmmmm, who were "they"... trash elves, guests of the many state run "hotels", illegal/undocumented aliens? ??? Way too much for my paradise clouded mind to comprehend so I let it go. I thought the "no garbage can policy" brilliant; I mean how attractive a neighborhood without any reminder that we create mountains of trash, more trash than any other nation in the entire world and despite the reality that trash would still be contained in dare I say it, PLASTIC BAGS :yikes: :yikes:, how politically incorrect is that :realmad:?

If you're reading this please don't take offense, take it in the manner in which it is given. I mean it not to be judgmental but provocative, definition : serving or tending to provoke, excite, or stimulate <a provocative question>, in this case to provoke thought in seeking a more effective solution to the proposed trash/recycle question.

P.S. I will be moving to TV hopefully before summer 2009 and am looking forward to living in Florida's :-* Friendliest :-* Hometown where I can be an active part of a wonderful community choosing to be as involved or uninvolved in how things work or not. On the other hand maybe I'll just sing, not likely 1rnfl, dance :hot:, play :joke:, party and/or float in the pool :bigthumbsup:.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Veteran member

While it is a politically correct, feel good about saving the earth position to support recycling, I am not certain that the manner in which it has been forced upon Villagers is so warm and fuzzy. An arguably small group of activists has pressed their ideology and as a result a significant loss of collection service and an increase in cost for every Village resident seems to be the pending result. The far reaching implications for happy Villagers include the abrupt reduction of quality and efficiency that are evident in a collection system residents are overwhelmingly satisfied with.

If those that passionately embrace recycling are so certain that most people agree with them, they shouldn't be afraid of a referendum that would give all stakeholders in the decision (all Village residents) an opportunity to vote their sentiment. Given the current option of cutting pickups to once a week, increasing costs and the prospect of bagged garbage simmering in the summer heat for a full week, I think more than a few shareholders would want the decision taken back to the drawing board. More insight might give rise to more viable options.

In some European countries the purported benefits of recycling are starting to come under challenge. On this side of the Atlantic, a number of local governments are defunding recycling programs. The research is on going. The jury is still out.

As a young sapling before tree hugging was in vogue, I was raised with a consciousness and appreciation of the environment. For many today, that awareness has risen to a politically correct and stylish cult status. For me, it's less the recycling than having a small, vocal minority influence the decision making process so dramatically and speaking for so many who do not fully agree with them and much less the decision that resulted from their well intentioned activism.

Village residents need a dialogue and a referendum on this important issue before sweeping changes are implemented.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:09 AM

I too am confused as to the rational for the program. Today those concerned TV citizens have several opportunities to recycle at little or no cost. It some case the recycling of newsprint actually supports local charities,

The proposal, as I understand it, Add recycling, reduce trash pickup to once per week. increase cost by 53% per month.

Where is the gain? Who does it help?, The Developer?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:19 PM
Veteran member

Good questions. I am sure many residents are asking the same.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:54 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdhog
I too am confused as to the rational for the program. Today those concerned TV citizens have several opportunities to recycle at little or no cost. It some case the recycling of newsprint actually supports local charities,

The proposal, as I understand it, Add recycling, reduce trash pickup to once per week. increase cost by 53% per month.

Where is the gain? Who does it help?, The Developer?
???
Now I'm confused. Where does the 53% increase come from? The earlier post cited a $2.00 increase, which seems like about 14%. And the last comment quesationing whether "The Developer" profits ~~ where did that come from? ???
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 12-20-2007, 03:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If you people are going to comment on recycling , then I suggest you do a little research first. First of all we recycle right now,,,,PRISONERS DO IT, and they have been doing it for quite some time....Now some people want to take it away from the prisoners and pay people to do it....And who do you think profits when when the garbage people only have to come in here once a week instead of twice......Duh......I didn't retire and move down here to pick s--- with the chickens......and don't appreaciate suggestions from people who want to save the world but don't live here ...You might better direct your energy into saving a whale somewhere...
Oh , and please advised that there is no trophy for the most posts on this website........

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.