Health & Fitness

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Default Health & Fitness

Are the exercise classes "silly" or "serious"? Is any of the cost included in the amenity fee? I'm not sure what that covers. :dontknow: I keep getting the impression people are paying for everything except some form of golf. :
Old 07-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Default Re: Health & Fitness

From what I've seen the classes are geared towards people that aren't in very good shape. If you're younger, and in fairly good shape, the classes aren't very good at all. If you're not particularly fit, or if you're older, the classes may be just fine.The classes offered at the rec centers are free, I assume are paid for by the amenities fees. There are other exercise classes that are offered by the villages learning center. I think they had tai chi, yoga, some dancing classes, etc...Those you pay for. Prices are listed in the Villages Learning center catelogue, or on their website. There are also 3? wellness centers with equipment, treadmills etc. Not state of the art, but okay. They are very busy during the winter months. You can pay per session, monthly, for 6 months, etc. I wish we'd get a YMCA in Lady Lake.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the information. It sounds like the exercise classes leave a lot to be desired and a "Y" would do a better job. We get a reasonable rate on our "Y" membership, Anthem Insurance will cover a fitness center fee on some policies. It makes a big diffeence if the classes are led by someone who really has experience as a personal trainer. It's taken a lot of fussin' but we've finally got a group of regular older exercisers that are in pretty good shape! They just don't come if the class is "silly". :'(
Old 07-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Veteran member

The one thing we have found missing in the Villages is a FREE Fitness Center with indoor pool (not a wellness center for rehab) and hot tubs . Seems like many of the other over 55 communities like Del Web have very nice fitness centers with indoor pools and hot tubs. The fees at the 2 Fitness centers (LM and the new Center ) seem very high for what they offer.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:16 AM

We thought the fees were high as well. I went one time last year to try it out, and there was a 15 minute limitation on the ellipticals and treadmills. I do 45 minutes of aerobic, so that was a problem for me. also, they had televisions, but no sound. I guess you could bring your own music/ipod, but I'm used to having aerobic equipment with individual televisions attached, where you can actually hear the television and pick your own station. They have that at our local YMCA. I haven't seen the newest health center, though, so don't know how it compares. And, it was so incredibly busy when we went, that it was hard to get on the equipment. I bought some free weights and do that at home, and walk, do a little jogging, and ride my bicycle for now.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:52 AM

the wellness center is a full gym with indoor pool and outdoor hot tub. any village resident can purchase a full or part time membership. aerobic and yoga classes are included in the membership.
spinning classes and personal trainers are available for additional fees.
they had just broken ground on the center when i bought my home in 99 and it was one of the selling points for me.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:13 AM

That sounds really nice but why wouldn't it be included in the amenity fees? What do they cover besides pools for persons not interested in golf? ???
Old 07-25-2007, 09:51 AM

amenities fees pay for use of community and outdoor sports swimming pools and recreation center outdoor tennis, pickleball, boccie , shuffleboard, horseshoe and basketball courts. indoor pool rooms. etc.
as well as walking trail and fitness course near nancy lopez.
it's always a topic of conversation but i do think we non golfers get our monies worth of amenities.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.