Hearing Aid Awareness

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-27-2015, 11:06 AM
LorasBetty LorasBetty is offline
Member
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Village of Poinciana
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Hearing Aid Awareness

I wear hearing aids that are controlled by my iPhone. This control includes settings for various environments such as restaurants, church, outdoors and watching TV. In addition to these settings I control the volume and bass/treble to maximize speech understanding.

My husband and I went to a movie on Saturday and I needed to make bass/treble adjustments to understand the dialog. There is no beeping, ringing or tinging when making these adjustments.

The gentleman behind me saw that I had my phone on and he rapped (harder than tapped) my shoulder and said rudely put that away. I didnt say anything since the movie had begun and I didnt want to disrupt the patrons around me. I did continue to adjust the settings but was nervous considering the other movie/phone incident that occurred in Florida last year.

After the movie I said to the gentleman - Sir, you need to be aware that cell phones are used for more that talking and texting. I was adjusting my hearing aids. He did not respond but hopefully will be aware in the future that if someone is using their phone it may be for reasons other than entertainment.
  #2  
Old 01-27-2015, 02:05 PM
Proscoe Proscoe is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The Villages
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wink

Respectfully:

I wear Hearing Aids too. However, by having your cell phone on you are disturbing patrons all around you. It's a catch 22 situation. My recommendation is to keep the cell phone off and use an alternate remote control device in this situation.
  #3  
Old 01-27-2015, 03:57 PM
downeaster downeaster is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,562
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorasBetty View Post
I wear hearing aids that are controlled by my iPhone. This control includes settings for various environments such as restaurants, church, outdoors and watching TV. In addition to these settings I control the volume and bass/treble to maximize speech understanding.

My husband and I went to a movie on Saturday and I needed to make bass/treble adjustments to understand the dialog. There is no beeping, ringing or tinging when making these adjustments.

The gentleman behind me saw that I had my phone on and he rapped (harder than tapped) my shoulder and said rudely put that away. I didnt say anything since the movie had begun and I didnt want to disrupt the patrons around me. I did continue to adjust the settings but was nervous considering the other movie/phone incident that occurred in Florida last year.

After the movie I said to the gentleman - Sir, you need to be aware that cell phones are used for more that talking and texting. I was adjusting my hearing aids. He did not respond but hopefully will be aware in the future that if someone is using their phone it may be for reasons other than entertainment.
Well done!
  #4  
Old 01-27-2015, 04:29 PM
rubicon rubicon is offline
Email Reported As Spam
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13,697
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorasBetty View Post
I wear hearing aids that are controlled by my iPhone. This control includes settings for various environments such as restaurants, church, outdoors and watching TV. In addition to these settings I control the volume and bass/treble to maximize speech understanding.

My husband and I went to a movie on Saturday and I needed to make bass/treble adjustments to understand the dialog. There is no beeping, ringing or tinging when making these adjustments.

The gentleman behind me saw that I had my phone on and he rapped (harder than tapped) my shoulder and said rudely put that away. I didnt say anything since the movie had begun and I didnt want to disrupt the patrons around me. I did continue to adjust the settings but was nervous considering the other movie/phone incident that occurred in Florida last year.

After the movie I said to the gentleman - Sir, you need to be aware that cell phones are used for more that talking and texting. I was adjusting my hearing aids. He did not respond but hopefully will be aware in the future that if someone is using their phone it may be for reasons other than entertainment.
LorasBetty: Intellectually handled. Good for you
  #5  
Old 01-27-2015, 05:38 PM
rjm1cc's Avatar
rjm1cc rjm1cc is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,052
Thanks: 92
Thanked 268 Times in 104 Posts
Default

I think the problem is the light given off by the phone. However I think it is reasonable that you adjust your hearing aids when necessary. Good that you mentioned the use to him and the rest of us.
  #6  
Old 01-27-2015, 05:41 PM
spring_chicken spring_chicken is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 882
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Plenty of time to make that adjustment during the half hour of previews. Don't blind people behind you once the movie starts. Everybody happy...
  #7  
Old 01-27-2015, 06:23 PM
redwitch's Avatar
redwitch redwitch is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,099
Thanks: 2
Thanked 76 Times in 33 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default

I was not aware that hearing aids could be adjusted via your phone. Thank you for this information.
__________________
Army/embassy brat - traveled too much to mention
Moved here from SF Bay Area (East Bay)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
  #8  
Old 01-27-2015, 06:25 PM
bobbym bobbym is offline
Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 70
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
Plenty of time to make that adjustment during the half hour of previews. Don't blind people behind you once the movie starts. Everybody happy...
The previews are not always the same as the movie sound level. Unless you had to wear hearing aids you would not understand. Thay are not like glasses that you just put on and then everything is 20 20.
  #9  
Old 01-27-2015, 06:38 PM
LorasBetty LorasBetty is offline
Member
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Village of Poinciana
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you bobbym for saying exactly what I was going to say - the aids were adjusted during preview time but when the movie started they needed further adjusting. The entire process was no more than 30 seconds and my brightness control was turned low. I believe this incident was due to the fact that a phone was visible to him.
  #10  
Old 01-27-2015, 07:16 PM
kansasr kansasr is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 448
Thanks: 78
Thanked 266 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorasBetty View Post
Thank you bobbym for saying exactly what I was going to say - the aids were adjusted during preview time but when the movie started they needed further adjusting. The entire process was no more than 30 seconds and my brightness control was turned low. I believe this incident was due to the fact that a phone was visible to him.
No I believe the incident was due to him being a jerk who looks for any opportunity to bully someone....
  #11  
Old 01-27-2015, 07:27 PM
KayakerNC's Avatar
KayakerNC KayakerNC is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,882
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorasBetty View Post
Thank you bobbym for saying exactly what I was going to say - the aids were adjusted during preview time but when the movie started they needed further adjusting. The entire process was no more than 30 seconds and my brightness control was turned low. I believe this incident was due to the fact that a phone was visible to him.
So...the ONLY way to adjust your aids is with a cell phone?
Really?
I also wear HA's and can adjust them manually or with a small remote when needed.
__________________
KayakerNC
Mt Clemens, MI
Newport, NC
Suffering from TV envy
  #12  
Old 01-27-2015, 07:34 PM
billethkid's Avatar
billethkid billethkid is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 17,550
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3,205 Times in 907 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
No I believe the incident was due to him being a jerk who looks for any opportunity to bully someone....
Actually you are wrong, but entitled to an opinion.

He, like me has been trined by our society of ignorant, impolite, continuous use of cell phones and in theatres. One cannot go ANYPLACE where folks do not have their faces buried in their phones.

So the person in question picked on one who had a legitimate reason. Does not make him a jerk or what ever else he is called. Merely a victim of circumstance. The jerks are the others in theatres, restaurants, buses, doctors office, church et al.
__________________
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it"...Mark Twain
  #13  
Old 01-29-2015, 12:39 AM
dotti105's Avatar
dotti105 dotti105 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Village of Gilchrist, fulltime
Posts: 1,088
Thanks: 86
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default

If he "picked on one who had a legitimate reason", the fact that he said anything at all makes him a jerk. "picked on" is self explanatory!
  #14  
Old 01-29-2015, 11:20 AM
snowbird22154's Avatar
snowbird22154 snowbird22154 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 100
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Actually you are wrong, but entitled to an opinion.

He, like me has been trined by our society of ignorant, impolite, continuous use of cell phones and in theatres. One cannot go ANYPLACE where folks do not have their faces buried in their phones.

So the person in question picked on one who had a legitimate reason. Does not make him a jerk or what ever else he is called. Merely a victim of circumstance. The jerks are the others in theatres, restaurants, buses, doctors office, church et al.

  #15  
Old 01-29-2015, 11:34 AM
Hancle704 Hancle704 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,227
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Too bad there are so many self appointed monitors living in the Villages who think it is up to them to control others and have no clue themselves.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 AM.