Hearing Aid Awareness

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2015, 11:06 AM
Default Hearing Aid Awareness

I wear hearing aids that are controlled by my iPhone. This control includes settings for various environments such as restaurants, church, outdoors and watching TV. In addition to these settings I control the volume and bass/treble to maximize speech understanding.

My husband and I went to a movie on Saturday and I needed to make bass/treble adjustments to understand the dialog. There is no beeping, ringing or tinging when making these adjustments.

The “gentleman” behind me saw that I had my phone on and he rapped (harder than tapped) my shoulder and said rudely “put that away”. I didn’t say anything since the movie had begun and I didn’t want to disrupt the patrons around me. I did continue to adjust the settings but was nervous considering the other movie/phone incident that occurred in Florida last year.

After the movie I said to the “gentleman” - “Sir, you need to be aware that cell phones are used for more that talking and texting. I was adjusting my hearing aids”. He did not respond but hopefully will be aware in the future that if someone is using their phone it may be for reasons other than entertainment.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:05 PM
Wink

Respectfully:

I wear Hearing Aids too. However, by having your cell phone on you are disturbing patrons all around you. It's a catch 22 situation. My recommendation is to keep the cell phone off and use an alternate remote control device in this situation.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:57 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorasBetty View Post
I wear hearing aids that are controlled by my iPhone. This control includes settings for various environments such as restaurants, church, outdoors and watching TV. In addition to these settings I control the volume and bass/treble to maximize speech understanding.

My husband and I went to a movie on Saturday and I needed to make bass/treble adjustments to understand the dialog. There is no beeping, ringing or tinging when making these adjustments.

The “gentleman” behind me saw that I had my phone on and he rapped (harder than tapped) my shoulder and said rudely “put that away”. I didn’t say anything since the movie had begun and I didn’t want to disrupt the patrons around me. I did continue to adjust the settings but was nervous considering the other movie/phone incident that occurred in Florida last year.

After the movie I said to the “gentleman” - “Sir, you need to be aware that cell phones are used for more that talking and texting. I was adjusting my hearing aids”. He did not respond but hopefully will be aware in the future that if someone is using their phone it may be for reasons other than entertainment.
Well done!
Old 01-27-2015, 04:29 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:

LorasBetty: Intellectually handled. Good for you
Old 01-27-2015, 05:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think the problem is the light given off by the phone. However I think it is reasonable that you adjust your hearing aids when necessary. Good that you mentioned the use to him and the rest of us.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:41 PM
Veteran member

Plenty of time to make that adjustment during the half hour of previews. Don't blind people behind you once the movie starts. Everybody happy...
Old 01-27-2015, 06:23 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I was not aware that hearing aids could be adjusted via your phone. Thank you for this information.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-27-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
Plenty of time to make that adjustment during the half hour of previews. Don't blind people behind you once the movie starts. Everybody happy...
The previews are not always the same as the movie sound level. Unless you had to wear hearing aids you would not understand. Thay are not like glasses that you just put on and then everything is 20 20.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:38 PM

Thank you bobbym for saying exactly what I was going to say - the aids were adjusted during preview time but when the movie started they needed further adjusting. The entire process was no more than 30 seconds and my brightness control was turned low. I believe this incident was due to the fact that a phone was visible to him.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Thank you bobbym for saying exactly what I was going to say - the aids were adjusted during preview time but when the movie started they needed further adjusting. The entire process was no more than 30 seconds and my brightness control was turned low. I believe this incident was due to the fact that a phone was visible to him.
No I believe the incident was due to him being a jerk who looks for any opportunity to bully someone....
Old 01-27-2015, 07:27 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
So...the ONLY way to adjust your aids is with a cell phone?
Really?
I also wear HA's and can adjust them manually or with a small remote when needed.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 01-27-2015, 07:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
No I believe the incident was due to him being a jerk who looks for any opportunity to bully someone....
Actually you are wrong, but entitled to an opinion.

He, like me has been trined by our society of ignorant, impolite, continuous use of cell phones and in theatres. One cannot go ANYPLACE where folks do not have their faces buried in their phones.

So the person in question picked on one who had a legitimate reason. Does not make him a jerk or what ever else he is called. Merely a victim of circumstance. The jerks are the others in theatres, restaurants, buses, doctors office, church et al.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:39 AM
Gold member

If he "picked on one who had a legitimate reason", the fact that he said anything at all makes him a jerk. "picked on" is self explanatory!
Old 01-29-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Actually you are wrong, but entitled to an opinion.

He, like me has been trined by our society of ignorant, impolite, continuous use of cell phones and in theatres. One cannot go ANYPLACE where folks do not have their faces buried in their phones.

So the person in question picked on one who had a legitimate reason. Does not make him a jerk or what ever else he is called. Merely a victim of circumstance. The jerks are the others in theatres, restaurants, buses, doctors office, church et al.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:34 AM
Gold member

Too bad there are so many self appointed monitors living in the Villages who think it is up to them to control others and have no clue themselves.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.