Hearing Aid Awareness

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2015, 11:39 AM

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I wear hearing aids and I go to the movies. I do not have iPhone adjustments, but I am glad to know that is available and maybe I will consider this when I get new hearing aids in the future.

I see both sides of this situation (not the jerk part), but since it might be sensitive, even a threatening possibility, maybe you as the movie patron could have gently eased yourself out of your seat and gone to the back of the theater to adjust your hearing aids by the phone and disturbed few, if any, people while standing in the back (or off to the side, or in the aisle leading into the theater. Just go somewhere that the actual movie is being heard but away from other patrons.

Just an idea. Perhaps the standing up and moving out of your seat would be less threatening and annoying to others than taking the chance of being harmed or bullied by a nearby jerk. I am thinking this is what I would have done.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:42 AM

nancymenn has a good point, but I'm afraid it isn't that simple. As any good audio engineer will tell you, the volume and quality of sound varies depending on your location and the source of the sound. Therefore, if you leave your seat and go to the back of the theater to adjust your hearing aids, the adjustment will only be correct for that location at the back of the theater. It won't be the correct adjustment when you return to your seat.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

every hearing aid that can be adjusted from a cell phone can also be adjusted from the hearing aid itself.
I wear hearing aids in both ears. When an adjustment is made it is usually one tap of one or the other of the aids and adjusts both at the same time. I can have mine adjusted while some are still reaching for their phone.

Keep your seat. Keep your phone in your pocket. Adjust in the same time it takes to snap your fingers. Done!!!!
Old 01-30-2015, 12:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
every hearing aid that can be adjusted from a cell phone can also be adjusted from the hearing aid itself.
I wear hearing aids in both ears. When an adjustment is made it is usually one tap of one or the other of the aids and adjusts both at the same time. I can have mine adjusted while some are still reaching for their phone.

Keep your seat. Keep your phone in your pocket. Adjust in the same time it takes to snap your fingers. Done!!!!
Exactly right! And, as I recall, the theater reminds you 3 times to turn off your phone...please.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 02-02-2015, 12:54 PM

I'm going to have to disagree with those who say everything can be adjusted by means of the the remote or a tap on the aid itself. I know environmental and volume changes can be made but these alone do not give me what I need.

There are many types of hearing aids and many types of hearing disabilities. My disability requires bass and treble adjustments especially in large public environments. The remote cannot make this adjustment. It requires the use of the Smart app on my phone to give me this functionality.

I am not going to quit going to movies because I have a hearing disability that you do not approve of. And the suggestion of leaving my seat to go elsewhere and make the adjustment will not work either - adjustments vary from each location. Additionally I would think that easing out of the seat to go make an adjustment and then easing back in after the movie begins would disrupt more people than making a 30-second low brightness adjustment on my phone.

The use of cell phones can be abused but there are many legitimate and necessary uses for them as well. I was hoping my original post would bring awareness to the fact that cell phones are used for more than chit-chat and texting.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

That was true 5 five years ago and is that way on the cheeper aids yet today but with the new high end aids you have a lot more control then button pushing can do.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbym View Post
That was true 5 five years ago and is that way on the cheeper aids yet today but with the new high end aids you have a lot more control then button pushing can do.
Actually it is todays technology. I can use my iphone and take more time to make the same adjustments I can on the hearing aid itself.

Got all the bells and whistles including bluetooth allowing phone access and television audio to the hearing aids.

I use the hearing aid control most of the time....much quicker for the same result.

A change for theatre environment....still just a click of one hearing aid....finger snap quick!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.