HELP Hot Garage

Closed Thread
Old 10-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Default HELP Hot Garage

I like to spend some time in my garage, but find it really HOT in mid day. Just wondering if someone else has found a solution. I was thinking of adding a vent in the attic above the garage and maybe some insulation in the bays above the garage as there is non there now. Also thought about some of the foam insulation being added to the inside of the door. I dint think we can have portable air conditioners?? Any suggestion Thanks
Old 10-27-2007, 11:10 AM
Platinum member
Default Re: HELP Hot Garage

Last edited by F16 1UB; 08-10-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:53 PM

Thank You Steve. Will try fan and look for screen
Old 10-27-2007, 01:46 PM

I just had a system installed in my garage by the "Solar Guys" that really helps. Not cheap but works well.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Veteran member

I installed two ceiling fans which work really well no matter what the temperature. One person I know was looking to build some interior walls in his garage for a small workshop that could be air-conditioned.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 10-28-2007, 03:04 AM
Platinum member

APODPERSON. Friends had four vents inserted in their garage door. Two low and two near the top of the door (4-corners). As a result their garage is always cooler than their neighbors. The vents have screens. Does anyone else have any experience with venting the garage door? This approach works whether you're home or not.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:57 PM
Veteran member

We installed an automatic garage screen door and put a large fan in the garage. Since my laundry is in there, I needed to have the air. This works out very well for me. We used a company called HidnScreen I believe.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Gold member

I just looked and i have no insulation above the garage. Am i the only one - or do most houses have none??
Old 10-31-2007, 01:53 AM
Platinum member

None of the Courtyard villas have insulation above the ceiling in the garage or in the outside walls of the garage. Only the living area has insulation. The inside wall of the garage is the only wall with insulation. Up north, we always installed a vapor barrier and then insulation. I don't recall seeing a vapor barrier. But then again we're not builders and we're certainly unfamiliar with the way things are done in Fl.

Getting back on track, all of my neighbors who have added insulation above their garages claim it significantly reduced the heat factor. Others have even installed Styrofoam panels on the back of their garage door and also claim this helped considerably.

George
Old 10-31-2007, 05:01 PM
Veteran member

I'm going to ask a dumb question but what comes to my mind immediately is why don't people consider putting in a stand alone AC unit? The space isn't very large so a big unit wouldn't be needed.

Is there a reason this wouldn't work?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:39 PM
Platinum member

Nanci, some have extended the ductwork from their home AC into the garage. It all boils down to money and how much you're willing to spend or can afford. Of course, AC consumes energy and from an environmental sense, do you want to use energy just to keep your car (and maybe your washing machine) cool all of the time. I would think that reducing the heat buildup would be a first step and it would not consume energy. One ofther observation, you're not permitted to stick an AC unit in any windows. So extending the ductwork on your home AC unit would seem to be your best if not only option for cooling your garage area. George
Old 11-01-2007, 03:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I have a friend in the Churchill Greens area of the Villages that has put an attic exaust fan in his garage ceiling and wired it to a thermostat.....When it gets to hot the fan kicks on and exausts the air into the attic where it is circulated out through the eve's vents and so also cools the attic ...It works terrific and now I'm going to do it also...............John L.

ps He bought it at Sears..
Old 11-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Gold member

i am going to install some Styrofoam in the garage doors - will let you know if there is any difference in the heat and the sound of the tinie sound of the door
Old 11-01-2007, 03:27 PM
Veteran member

Good information - the reason I asked about the stand alone unit is I have a particular interest in keeping the garage comfortbale because this is where I plan to put my cat litter boxes.

I have cats and their litter boxes are in a storage area in the basement (I presently live in IL - going to move next year, I hope!!!).

I don't want boxes in the living area at all so the garage seems to be the logical space. I just need to get creative on how I'm gong to develop a way for them to access the boxes in a somewhat enclosed area in the garage (some kind of cat door that leads to a contained area where they can do their business).

But these postings about different options is very helpful. Thanks
Old 08-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanci2539 View Post
Good information - the reason I asked about the stand alone unit is I have a particular interest in keeping the garage comfortbale because this is where I plan to put my cat litter boxes.

I have cats and their litter boxes are in a storage area in the basement (I presently live in IL - going to move next year, I hope!!!).

I don't want boxes in the living area at all so the garage seems to be the logical space. I just need to get creative on how I'm gong to develop a way for them to access the boxes in a somewhat enclosed area in the garage (some kind of cat door that leads to a contained area where they can do their business).

But these postings about different options is very helpful. Thanks
A screen would work well for you and the kittys get a view of the outside

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.