HELP Hot Garage

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Sorry to disagree, but others have reported that Solar works good and U can get 1500CFM, the saving in cost is about 3 years over elec.
Jimbo, see last link.
That size in electric run about $100. plus installation and operating costs. They need between 280 and 400 watts to operate.

Home Depot Attic Fan - Home & Garden - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at Nextag - Price - Review

These solars at HD seem to be about 250cfm, 15 watts and underpowered.

Edit: found this 1500 watt comparison online but I think the electric costs are overstated. Still looks good though.
http://www.energyefficientsolutions....comparison.asp
In reality, they're different!
Old 08-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Sage

Here's one at 1500 cfm for about $550, but if U shop they can be had for 400-450

The Villages Florida

The cost comparison on that link is about right.

Also you're reducing your carbon footprint with solar
Old 08-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Anything short of an air conditioner, the best you're going to get is the same temperature as it is outside. That's why I went with the screen, also if you're in the garage working or doing laundry you'll need the extra daylight. I thought about the motorized screens, but if you're outside working in the yard it's too much trouble to keep putting it up and down. We went with the horizontal sliders, so you can open one section go and close it behind you. Also it's much cheaper, we paid $850 installed for our 12' door opening.

The Villages Florida
John,

I 100% agree with you about the screen being the best way to go. The screen also adds to the beauty of the neighborhood by concealing the contents of your garage when the door is open. Prop the attic stairs open a bit and the process of thermodynamics will take over and pull the "cooler" air into the attic and out the ridge and soffit vents. IMHO there is no real benefit to any kind of attic fan.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APODPERSON View Post
I like to spend some time in my garage, but find it really HOT in mid day. Just wondering if someone else has found a solution. I was thinking of adding a vent in the attic above the garage and maybe some insulation in the bays above the garage as there is non there now. Also thought about some of the foam insulation being added to the inside of the door. I dint think we can have portable air conditioners?? Any suggestion Thanks
Try an exhaust fan
Old 08-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Location: Euclid, Ohio--Anahein California--DeLand Florida--Virginia Trace
Cool Too Cool Garage

I extended my Golf Cart garage 27' down the side of my house and took out the back wall making it 42' long. I insulated the doors and the attic of the addition along with the existing garage. Finally I had a Mitsubishi 2 ton ductless AC unit installed in my garage. You can hang meat in the garage now. This is why I say it is "Too Cool Garage".
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.