HELP ME: Impressions... Are they correct??

Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2018, 07:00 PM
Question HELP ME: Impressions... Are they correct??

Thank you for reading, this may become lengthy by me trying to explain (sorry)... ok, here goes ...

We have done a lot of research (for years) on places to retire. We have visited communities from Florida to Washington state. Yes, we have visited (for just two days) The Villages, that was about 4 years ago now.

We really like the community for all the variety of things to do and in a large community, there is no doubt that we would find people who share our interests. We really like the idea of downsizing to one car and a golf cart. (sounds like A LOT of fun!)

HOWEVER ..... The Villages has fallen from our #1 choice to the bottom of the list.

HELP US ...PLEASE ...

We are very much afraid of The Villages because of impressions that we continue to get from the people. When we were there, looking a home out if curiosity, the woman two doors down the street came over and gave us a very hard time. She was complaining about us and to us about everything else too. It really shocked us! We now watch Skip's videos of The Villages and he seems to be calling everyone there "Stupid" or "Idiots" for one thing or another...

We do not want to live in a community of whiners and busy-bodies. But this is the exact impression we get every time we look at The Villages. ( I am NOT saying that I think everyone is like that - please, I am just trying to communicate our impressions from afar).

Please, honestly tell me: Is there an abnormally high percentage of these people in the villages? Are there areas that have fewer of these people? Have you (those already living in The Villages) found this to be an issue and what did you do about it to get some peace?

Again, thank you TREMENDOUSLY for your time and honest feedback. I want nothing more than to find a nice place for us to retire. A place where my wife and I can live where we are able to go for walks together, enjoy dining together and pursue our hobbies for the next (30?) years.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:21 PM
Veteran member

So you visited for 2 days 4 years ago and you have these impressions? NO, you have those impressions from the people on this board and possibly on the several Facebook forums and from Skip (who I love). You may also be reading the rag news website which is just total clickbait. I would say maybe you need to do some research by Visiting more. Remember there are a lot of people who just come on here to gripe (and it is way worse on a few of the facebook sites). This is not representative of TV at all.

The problem is that other communities are not big enough to have a forum like this, so you don't hear any of the bad stuff.

Here is my view - TV is great. We love it. Everyone we know who lives there loves it. Skip loves it. Most of the people on this forum love it. The only way to find out is to go and spend time there - rent a house for a month and see if you like it. You will find the friendliest people on the planet in TV. Lots of fun, but they are people with all their faults. If you find a place where the people have no faults, let me know

They call it the bubble for a reason - it is a very happy place. Now, if you would like to actually come and see for yourself for longer than 2 days, I have 2 rental homes I would be more than willing to rent to you. One is in Hillsborough - about 2 blocks from Skip - available July, August, and September right now. September is great - less heat and no crowds. Unfortunately rented through next April after that. I have another home in Fernandina about a mile west of Skip - That is rented out except December, but I would make you a nice deal on December, and Christmas is lovely in the villages. Now one of the reasons I don't have a lot of months available is PEOPLE LOVE TV! Houses rent very well because of this.

Full disclosure - we are there a lot, but don't live there full time yet. I hate it every time I have to leave, but I still have not hit my number yet and have to work, and I have a great job up north. Part of what gets me worked up is people that CAN live there because they are retired and are scared because of a few bad eggs. This is a city of over 100,000 people, there are going to be a few bad ones. Sorry, that is the truth. I am counting the days until I retire and can live in TV full time and get away from the crappy weather up north!

Ed
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 05-15-2018, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
So you visited for 2 days 4 years ago and you have these impressions? NO, you have those impressions from the people on this board and possibly on the several Facebook forums and from Skip (who I love). You may also be reading the rag news website which is just total clickbait. I would say maybe you need to do some research by Visiting more. Remember there are a lot of people who just come on here to gripe (and it is way worse on a few of the facebook sites). This is not representative of TV at all.

The problem is that other communities are not big enough to have a forum like this, so you don't hear any of the bad stuff.

Here is my view - TV is great. We love it. Everyone we know who lives there loves it. Skip loves it. Most of the people on this forum love it. The only way to find out is to go and spend time there - rent a house for a month and see if you like it. You will find the friendliest people on the planet in TV. Lots of fun, but they are people with all their faults. If you find a place where the people have no faults, let me know

They call it the bubble for a reason - it is a very happy place. Now, if you would like to actually come and see for yourself for longer than 2 days, I have 2 rental homes I would be more than willing to rent to you. One is in Hillsborough - about 2 blocks from Skip - available July, August, and September right now. September is great - less heat and no crowds. Unfortunately rented through next April after that. I have another home in Fernandina about a mile west of Skip - That is rented out except December, but I would make you a nice deal on December, and Christmas is lovely in the villages. Now one of the reasons I don't have a lot of months available is PEOPLE LOVE TV! Houses rent very well because of this.

Full disclosure - we are there a lot, but don't live there full time yet. I hate it every time I have to leave, but I still have not hit my number yet and have to work, and I have a great job up north. Part of what gets me worked up is people that CAN live there because they are retired and are scared because of a few bad eggs. This is a city of over 100,000 people, there are going to be a few bad ones. Sorry, that is the truth. I am counting the days until I retire and can live in TV full time and get away from the crappy weather up north!

Ed
I think Ed said it well.

My reputation precedes me that I am really smitten with this wonderful place and how it's run, and I have a half a dozen dear close friends who are women and we have several couples we love to spend time with and he has some really nice golfing buddies. I think finding your niche and your own friends makes this place really special. This Forum is not how people act to me in real life....EVER. I can't imagine my husband ever treating anyone like some of the posts here. Most people here have earned the right to rest on their laurels and to enjoy life pleasantly, and they do. There are some and they will always be anonymous who are terribly angry and upset most of the time. Their glass is half empty.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-15-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:30 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

I will attempt to address your concerns. The Villages is a diverse community of some 120,000 people who have come looking for the best possible landing spot for their "golden years". Some believe they have found nirvana and some probably hate it. I have heard from hundreds of the former and virtually none of the latter, though they undoubtedly exist. No one besides you can determine which camp, or somewhere in between, you are likely to land. I too have been to many retirement areas and communities, and have decided that TV has more going for it in terms of the things my wife and I like and enjoy, than any other. There are those who want to be on or very near the beach, others that desire a college town, others who want four distinct seasons, and on and on. Everyone's reasons for deciding their preferences are valid for them.

I watch Skip Smith's videos as well and I don't get the sense that he is painting everyone as stupid, only the extreme cases that show up in the online news, many or even most of whom are not even from The Villages. That is also part of Skip's shtick if you will. He repeatedly has stated how glad he is he retired to TV and how active and engaged he and Sue are here.

There is no place that is perfect for everyone thank God, or it would be impossibly expensive and exclusive. Just ask yourselves what you want out of retirement, what activities you would most enjoy, and what kind of climate would best suit you, then choose a community that best fits all your criteria. In the end no place you choose will be totally without some grumpy people or some level of stupidity, but I can assure you that The Villages will have as great, if not a greater percentage of contented, friendly, happy people as any other you may choose.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:35 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Even though I do not live in TV yet, three 5 day to one month long visits made it my first choice as a retirement community and I have visited several across the country, not only Florida. TV is way ahead of the pack!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-15-2018, 07:40 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

I believe the things that you are noticing are a function of age as in dare I say it - grouchy old people. That is a common denominator in any over 55 community.

If you are considering one over 55 community over another for this reason you are just not considering the impact of aging on personality.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post

Yes, we have visited (for just two days) The Villages, that was about 4 years ago now.

We do not want to live in a community of whiners and busy-bodies.
Honestly, no one wants to live in a community of whiners and busy bodies. It may not be a good fit for you.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:01 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default The ONLY community without

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Honestly, no one wants to live in a community of whiners and busy bodies. It may not be a good fit for you.
any whiners or busy bodies is the cemetery. The villages is a great place to live.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:05 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I believe the things that you are noticing are a function of age as in dare I say it - grouchy old people. That is a common denominator in any over 55 community.

If you are considering one over 55 community over another for this reason you are just not considering the impact of aging on personality.
The onset of dementia ain't pretty!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-15-2018, 08:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

I don't think TV is much different than a lot of other 55+ retirement communities, where you've packed in (relatively small home lots for the most part) a lot of people, with a freeway system for golf carts that can be used year-around, but can get very crowded and who at this age...are pretty 'set in their ways.'

I can tell you though, that being able to get outside all year (most of the time in shorts) and play golf or whatever else you like to do...helps with the 'cabin fever' that you may experience in Alaska.

Make sure you're also ready for almost perfect flatness and lack of any mountains...compared to where you are now.

Good luck in your choice.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
any whiners or busy bodies is the cemetery. The villages is a great place to live.
I think you may have misunderstood. I love it here. I'm a good fit.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
Thank you for reading, this may become lengthy by me trying to explain (sorry)... ok, here goes ...

We have done a lot of research (for years) on places to retire. We have visited communities from Florida to Washington state. Yes, we have visited (for just two days) The Villages, that was about 4 years ago now.

We really like the community for all the variety of things to do and in a large community, there is no doubt that we would find people who share our interests. We really like the idea of downsizing to one car and a golf cart. (sounds like A LOT of fun!)

HOWEVER ..... The Villages has fallen from our #1 choice to the bottom of the list.

HELP US ...PLEASE ...

We are very much afraid of The Villages because of impressions that we continue to get from the people. When we were there, looking a home out if curiosity, the woman two doors down the street came over and gave us a very hard time. She was complaining about us and to us about everything else too. It really shocked us! We now watch Skip's videos of The Villages and he seems to be calling everyone there "Stupid" or "Idiots" for one thing or another...

We do not want to live in a community of whiners and busy-bodies. But this is the exact impression we get every time we look at The Villages. ( I am NOT saying that I think everyone is like that - please, I am just trying to communicate our impressions from afar).

Please, honestly tell me: Is there an abnormally high percentage of these people in the villages? Are there areas that have fewer of these people? Have you (those already living in The Villages) found this to be an issue and what did you do about it to get some peace?

Again, thank you TREMENDOUSLY for your time and honest feedback. I want nothing more than to find a nice place for us to retire. A place where my wife and I can live where we are able to go for walks together, enjoy dining together and pursue our hobbies for the next (30?) years.
You will surround yourself with people you enjoy no matter where you live. When I encounter grouchies I simply smile a little bigger and talk a little nicer. There are grouchies everywhere and no more concentrated in TV than anywhere else...I find that I have closer friends in TV than I ever had up north... and I am still a 50/50... Rae

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2018, 08:37 PM
Platinum member
Talking Here's my view.

There was a time a few years ago when I would have given an unequivocally positive review of The Villages. That time would have been before the Morse family began developing The Villages south of County Road 466A,

But, between 2010 and 2017, the population of The Villages area grew almost 33 percent, from 94,279 in 2010 to 125,165 in 2017. According to U.S. Census data released in March 2018, The Villages was the 10th in the annual list of fastest-growing metropolitan areas in the United States. There is a reason for this growth. The variety of attractive activities, and the attractive landscaping and infrastructure are undeniable.

But one result of this explosive growth is very crowded town squares during the daily evening free entertainment. Long ago we began taking our own folding camp chairs to the squares when we went. If spending time at these events are not what you are looking for then you won't care too much about this. But, it is an indication of the overcrowding that has become typical of many events in The Villages.

Golf continues to be a major attraction for those who like that sort of thing. I never acquired the habit.

In my opinion, the majority of the houses in The Villages are built too close together, and noise from the neighbors television is a frequent complaint, particularly when trying to enjoy a quiet evening on your lanai. Barbara and I were fortunate to find a house on the end of a cul-de-sac which resulted in a pie shaped lot, and no neighbors houses crowded up next to it or behind it. There are also some houses that back up to wildlife refuge areas.

Regarding grumpy people, it is inevitable that you will find a certain proportion of old grumps in a retirement community of over 125,000 people, many of whom came from northern climes and who are very disturbed by the weather, and living cheek-to-jowl with bugs, alligators and other wildlife.

My greatest joy in The Villages is moving about in a golf cart. I love the fact that you can go virtually anywhere in the official bounds of The Villages by golf cart. For me this is recreation. One of the activities I have enjoyed is going by golf cart to a local pond where I can do a little fishing, or just feed the wild birds that gather at the pond.

When we first arrived Barbara and I established a circle of friends who have become close friends through thick and thin. Our social group has endured the deaths of two of the husbands, my descent into physical disability, and the failing health of other members. But the friendships remain.

Your life in The Villages, like life anywhere, is what you make of it. Find friends with similar interests. Avoid people with negative attitudes. I don't believe you can find a better, more varied, or better maintained infrastructure than The Villages.

(You are considering retirement communities where it snows? Incredible.)
Old 05-15-2018, 08:58 PM
Platinum member

Love it here. You should take the Lifestyle program visit. Everyone on this topic have already spoken of the advantages of living here. If you can get a house in an active neighborhood with a lot of group socials, golf groups, card groups, mah jong groups, book clubs plus all the options offered at the rec ctrs and sports clubs you will have a much healthier and happier life than you could ever have possibly imagined. It makes you feel so much younger. And, if you meet a couple of grumps on the way, tell them to have a nice day and move on. Life is too short and you will find that you will meet some of the nicest people from all over the world that have landed here. It is a large place but most people enjoy the activities in their neighborhood and acquire best friends who stick by you through thick and thin, travel together and help out in emergencies, a great support system and near many healthcare options which at this time of life you have to take that into account. Try it out for longer than 2 days. Converse with people you meet in the squares or at restaurants and get a better feel for the place and you'll be surprised how welcoming it is.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:04 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

The the few whiners and busy-bodies are in a state of discontent because they spend their entire day on-line feeding on and believing all the negativity others of their kind keep spitting out in an every widening and vicious circle.
The rest of us are out having a good time and too busy to worry about such nonsense as we enjoy life here in The Villages. 4000-5000 homes sold here every year would not be happening if it was as bad as the on-line trolls make it out to be. Some people just aren't happy unless they are making someone else miserable.
Come back, stay a while, learn the truth for yourself, you'll not regret the decision to give The Villages a chance.
My wife and I grew up in military families and I did 20 years in the Navy, we moved every few years, after I retired from the Navy we moved two more times before moving to The Villages, this has been the BEST place we both have ever lived.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, people, community, years, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.