Help Me, What Would You Do?

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2019, 06:34 PM

Leave the tree where it is. She would hate me because I would be putting in a pool with a birdcage! She should be happy it's just a tree! Her view is ruined only from one chair in her lanai? Tell her to move the chair. Complainers will always find something to complain about.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

In the end, the view she paid for is dirertly out the back of her lanai. that does include a view up either side of the lanai.

You are definately in the right...
Old 12-19-2019, 05:26 AM

My 1st thought is why would anybody in a Villa want a Magnolia tree? The landscaper put one in our yard when the house was built. The 1st thing we did was dig it up. They are nice shade trees but they grow way to big for a Villa lot and they shed leaves and cone terribly. Who wants all that maintenance?
Old 12-19-2019, 06:35 AM

Some people need a little more time than others to learn to live in close quarters like we do here in TV.
Get at least two estimates for removal. Hopefully she sees the tree service trucks and thinks she has won.
Add up the cost of installation, cost of removal, cost to install new landscaping and the price of your aggravation since she came over. Present your cost fact sheet to your neighbor with a smile on your face. Agree to have tree removed if she pays the costs upfront, cash preferred Have a witness present when/if she signs off on the costs.
This is definitely meeting her half way. This may cure the neighbor of attempting to influence (bully) her neighbors. Lets see how important her view is.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:00 AM

How old is she? Leave it there maybe you can outlive her.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

We don't have a Magnolia tree on our property but from what I have read on this thread, I would not want one. If I were the OP, I would have that tree removed.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:18 AM

That is a brilliant thought, hopefully keeps everyone happy
Old 12-19-2019, 07:28 AM

We have a magnolia tree that was trimmed removing the lower branches. The view from my lanai was greatly improved. Perhaps that’s a compromise that would satisfy your neighbor and you keep the tree.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:37 AM

I agree with tophcfa. I had a magnolia and got rid of it. The roots are FIERCE so I hope yours is no where near any concrete, the house, etc., because that will be cracked when the roots grow over there. But if you want that thing it is your decision, not your neighbor's.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:39 AM

As someone owning a home in a neighborhood that has a MAGNOLIA tree in front of every house - I would say you are making a huge mistake planting this tree anywhere on your property. They are one of the most high maintenance trees with constantly shedding their leaves that look a lot like piles of dog duty. Take it out as soon as possible. If you don't want her to be happy - give her the tree.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:39 AM

I think it is very caring of you to consider your neighbors request. You'll have to decide whether a personal relationship with your neighbor is more important than the cost of removal of the tree. It's not always about what is your right but what is the loving thing to do. I will pray for you.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:14 AM
Default Possible tree removal??

well . . . what's easier . . . you transplanting the tree, or you're neighbor shifting her chair or foot or two? No brainer.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,881 Times in 2,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomsiepop View Post
Yesterday morning my neighbor rang my bell. I invited her into my home and she immediately said, "I hope this doesn't ruin our friendship". She proceeded to tell me the tree I planted in the back of my home was blocking her "view" of the water. I live two doors away from her and the tree in question is a Magnolia. Our homes are newly built and the tree in question was planted three months ago. I am in the process of having my entire home landscaped right now. I was extremely upset and because I didn't want to upset her I said I would try to relocate the tree. I spoke to my landscaper and he said because I have an interior lot the location I suggested could damage the screen to my pool area in the future as the tree grows. Although I want my neighbor to be happy I am not happy myself. I am upset she waited three months to tell me her concerns. The "view" she mentioned can only be seen from one chair in her lanai to the left side of her lanai. The tree is planted on my property and I did submit the paperwork to ARC and I was approved. Can someone give me guidance as to what they would do in my situation. Thank you for your help.
IMO i would get rid of the magnolia, you will be picking up tree trash and it going to be headache as it get bigger. But, if you want keep it you’re neighbors can’t control what was approved in you’re yard. If she thought the pond view was so important when she brought she should of brought behind the pond.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,881 Times in 2,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithinGod View Post
I think it is very caring of you to consider your neighbors request. You'll have to decide whether a personal relationship with your neighbor is more important than the cost of removal of the tree. It's not always about what is your right but what is the loving thing to do. I will pray for you.
Loving? So, I go two doors down and complain, cause I brought cheap lot at angle within small site of corner of pond and I expect all the neighbors to adhere to my wants? IMO it rude to even bring it up.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:37 AM

Tell her that you talked to your landscaper and were told moving the tree was not in your best interest.
Closed Thread

Tags
tree, planted, upset, home, question

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.