Help Me, What Would You Do?

Closed Thread
Old 12-28-2019, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
We got ARC approval to remove ours, but it was not easy because the tree was not dead. We were denied the first attempt where we mailed in the application and could not attend the hearing. I resubmitted the application and attended the next hearing and after pleading my case we were granted approval. We were lucky that one of the ARC members also had an out of control Magnolia and convinced enough other members to allow removal on the condition that we have the stump ground and planted another approved "shade tree". Note that palm trees are not considered shade trees. We planted an "Eastern Palaka Holly" tree, which I prune back three times per year and I will never let it grow out of control.
I'll never understand why the ARC can refuse removal of a tree that was planted by a homeowner. There are many instances where the homeowner makes a dreadful mistake with their choice of landscape and wants to remove it years later. The homeowner planted it so why can't they remove it without all these repercussions?

I know, I know.....we live here with rules and rules must be adhered to. Just vented and now I feel better.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
OK ...Lot's of advice, me being one to agree with a post.

Simple solution 5 yes ( 5 ) Brass Nails into the bottom of the said tree..approx 5-6 months later problem solved.

Best time After Midnight. Who Me?
My brother-in-law said the same exact thing about the brass nails. Would the ARC demand a new tree be planted in place of a removed dead tree? Just wondering.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmit16 View Post
My 1st thought is why would anybody in a Villa want a Magnolia tree? The landscaper put one in our yard when the house was built. The 1st thing we did was dig it up. They are nice shade trees but they grow way to big for a Villa lot and they shed leaves and cone terribly. Who wants all that maintenance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
A Magnolia tree can reach 70-80 ft tall and a width of 30-40 ft. I would think several times before planting one in our small Village yards. No Landscaper worth his salt should recommend one for our yards. Even on the golf course it’s questionable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriAnn View Post
Remove the tree and you’ll gain a life long friend. Keep the tree and you’ll gain a life long enemy that lives way too close. In my opinion, she’s doing you a favor. You’ll regret that tree in a few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
Actually I totally agree with this post. Magnolia Trees are basically junk trees usually in parks and wide-open spaces.

It's very sad that so much bad information has been posted by unknowing or ignorant residents and the above comments are only a few of them.

Magnolia trees are not junk trees. They are prolific through the south and are beautiful trees. In addition, they are not inexpensive. Dirty? The dropped leaves are seriously easy to pick up! The main misconception is that they are all huge trees. Not so! Magnolias come in all sizes. Dwarf trees are available and would be suitable for smaller lots.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud2020 View Post
It's very sad that so much bad information has been posted by unknowing or ignorant residents and the above comments are only a few of them.

Magnolia trees are not junk trees. They are prolific through the south and are beautiful trees. In addition, they are not inexpensive. Dirty? The dropped leaves are seriously easy to pick up! The main misconception is that they are all huge trees. Not so! Magnolias come in all sizes. Dwarf trees are available and would be suitable for smaller lots.
How large can a dwarf Magnolia tree become at maturity? How can you tell if a Magnolia tree is of the dwarf variety?
Old 12-29-2019, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
How large can a dwarf Magnolia tree become at maturity? How can you tell if a Magnolia tree is of the dwarf variety?
dwarf magnolia varieties - Bing
Old 12-29-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:

See Bogie Shooter's comment for more information.

When you buy a dwarf Magnolia from a nursery or through a "genuine" landscaper, they should be able to give you the details on the specific tree they are speaking about. The tree should be tagged as to what variety it is.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomsiepop View Post
Yesterday morning my neighbor rang my bell. I invited her into my home and she immediately said, "I hope this doesn't ruin our friendship". She proceeded to tell me the tree I planted in the back of my home was blocking her "view" of the water. I live two doors away from her and the tree in question is a Magnolia. Our homes are newly built and the tree in question was planted three months ago. I am in the process of having my entire home landscaped right now. I was extremely upset and because I didn't want to upset her I said I would try to relocate the tree. I spoke to my landscaper and he said because I have an interior lot the location I suggested could damage the screen to my pool area in the future as the tree grows. Although I want my neighbor to be happy I am not happy myself. I am upset she waited three months to tell me her concerns. The "view" she mentioned can only be seen from one chair in her lanai to the left side of her lanai. The tree is planted on my property and I did submit the paperwork to ARC and I was approved. Can someone give me guidance as to what they would do in my situation. Thank you for your help.

Have you decided yet, on what course of action...you're going to take?
Old 01-01-2020, 06:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
I'll never understand why the ARC can refuse removal of a tree that was planted by a homeowner. There are many instances where the homeowner makes a dreadful mistake with their choice of landscape and wants to remove it years later. The homeowner planted it so why can't they remove it without all these repercussions?

I know, I know.....we live here with rules and rules must be adhered to. Just vented and now I feel better.
Come on now. You certainly do understand. It's because you signed a contract agreeing to certain terms. And seeking approval for a tree removal is one of the terms.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Come on now. You certainly do understand. It's because you signed a contract agreeing to certain terms. And seeking approval for a tree removal is one of the terms.
The point I'm trying to make is about a tree that was planted by the home owner, not The Villages. Why should The Villages be consulted to remove a tree or shrub that was planted by the home owner? It wasn't there to begin with when the dotted line was signed.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
The point I'm trying to make is about a tree that was planted by the home owner, not The Villages. Why should The Villages be consulted to remove a tree or shrub that was planted by the home owner? It wasn't there to begin with when the dotted line was signed.
Because you signed a contract. And one of the terms of the contract is that approval must be obtained before removing a tree with a 4" plus trunk. You agreed to do it when you bought your house. That is why.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
My brother-in-law said the same exact thing about the brass nails. Would the ARC demand a new tree be planted in place of a removed dead tree? Just wondering.
Yes. It has happened. Unapproved tree removal requires replacement. Intentionally killing it is improper removal.

Each individual can decide on his own how much risk he is willing to take. Personally, I would not suggest to anyone that they "can get away" with something that may end up costing them a lot of money.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Because you signed a contract. And one of the terms of the contract is that approval must be obtained before removing a tree with a 4" plus trunk. You agreed to do it when you bought your house. That is why.
I get it. Just venting. I'm good at that. LOL!
Old 01-07-2020, 09:19 AM

Without getting too detailed, as I have a magnolia tree up north, a lot of concerns were noted above regarding the disadvantages of such tree and I fully endorse each of those, as an fyi only. You may need to confirm with your landscaper of your particular tree is a dwarf, as it may not mitigate your neighbors concern but will not be as large and messy as the regular. Good luck!!
Old 01-10-2020, 04:30 PM
Default She may be doing you a favor,

I was doing yard work today, up north, and though of this post as I was raking leaves from under the Magnolia tree and took a small break to send a note. She may be doing you a favor, regarding replacing of removing the tree. I raked at least 5 wheel barrels of leaves from under the magnolia tree and that included large cones. Big brown leaves. Cones the size of a can of soda. Additionally I stood back and eye balled the tree at about 80 feet. Yikes!!
None of my business of course, but unless you have a very large yard, I am surprised a landscaper would recommend this type of tree in TV's. I actually took a few pictures to send you but not sure if I uploaded correctly.
Please note that I am sending this to you not to be rude, but in spirit of these forums, a chance for us to proactively share comments with each other.
Interesting post,
Best wishes.
Keep us posted please of the final outcome

Last edited by TNGary; 01-12-2020 at 11:44 AM. Reason: edit
Closed Thread

Tags
tree, planted, upset, home, question

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.