Help Me, What Would You Do?

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2019, 09:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
If you remove the tree to please your neighbor, what will her next request be? I agreed to an opaque fence up north where I had flowers and the rule is 6’ high at the back maximum. The neighbor put in an 8’ fence. When I didn’t complain, she made it 10’ high. She has a raised deck on her side, it is 6’ from her deck floor. Now I can only grow grass, I don’t mind as I am not up north all the time. But guess what my answer will be the next time she asks for anything.... And yes I know I can get it down to 6’ with just one call.
You can say no to any of her requests. I would think that what-if shouldn't enter into the equation. If I decided to accommodate a neighbor somehow and the neighbor then pushed for something else, that's when I would start saying no.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:42 PM

Though the flowers are beautiful, it is true the magnolia tree is messy and drops a lot of leaves. It should not be planted anywhere close to the house. I think honesty is the best policy. You checked with professionals, they told you there is no other safe spot in your yard, and therefore the tree should not be moved. Tell her that. You are not even next door. If one tree blocks her 'view' then it must have been a peekaboo view at best. What is the view of? Views are not guaranteed on any lot. Mother Nature has a way of changing things.
If you like your tree, keep your tree. No reason to feel guilty about anything. The neighbor will get over it... or she won't. Her problem.
Not your circus, not your monkeys. Enjoy your home and yard.

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 12-20-2019, 04:50 PM

Agree with removing/replacing the magnolia. We have one that we thought we loved, but it is now 14 years old, HUGE, and a CONSTANT MESS on our lawn. Put in a sabal palmetto or similar palm tree. Indestructible and not much trouble to maintain and not very messy!
Old 12-21-2019, 06:37 PM
Gold member

As long as you went through the ARC process to have your additional landscaping approved you have no worries
Old 12-21-2019, 08:37 PM
Veteran member

You asked for advice about The Magnolia Tree and should you choose to ignore it so be it.

Honestly, it's a poor choice.
Old 12-22-2019, 12:43 AM

I agree with many posters who have recommended you tell your neighbor you would be happy to oblige her request if she will pay you for the cost of the Magnolia, the cost of planting it, the removal of the tree and then the cost of a newly planted tree (yet to be decided) which has a high canopy and a trunk that will not obliterate her view.

Kill her with kindness when you speak with her and be saccharine sweet! If she agrees with all this (yeah, right!) I would even up the cost of a new tree when you tell her how much it is with planting!

I'm sorry you have this kind of neighbor. BTW -- there are a number of dwarf, small, mini or whatever adjective you want to use, within the vast Magnolia family. They all are not necessarily huge trees but they all do tend to have a low canopy.

Last edited by Rosebud2020; 12-22-2019 at 12:46 AM. Reason: additional sentence
Old 12-27-2019, 05:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

So many people have recommended to remove the Magnolia tree. Will the ARC allow a Magnolia tree to be removed if the trunk is larger than 6" in diameter? I thought trees that size will not be approved for removal unless they were dead.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
So many people have recommended to remove the Magnolia tree. Will the ARC allow a Magnolia tree to be removed if the trunk is larger than 6" in diameter? I thought trees that size will not be approved for removal unless they were dead.
It’s. 4” .
Old 12-27-2019, 06:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
We got ARC approval to remove ours, but it was not easy because the tree was not dead. We were denied the first attempt where we mailed in the application and could not attend the hearing. I resubmitted the application and attended the next hearing and after pleading my case we were granted approval. We were lucky that one of the ARC members also had an out of control Magnolia and convinced enough other members to allow removal on the condition that we have the stump ground and planted another approved "shade tree". Note that palm trees are not considered shade trees. We planted an "Eastern Palaka Holly" tree, which I prune back three times per year and I will never let it grow out of control.

Last edited by tophcfa; 12-27-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:08 PM
Veteran member

OK ...Lot's of advice, me being one to agree with a post.

Simple solution 5 yes ( 5 ) Brass Nails into the bottom of the said tree..approx 5-6 months later problem solved.

Best time After Midnight. Who Me?
Old 12-27-2019, 10:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
OK ...Lot's of advice, me being one to agree with a post.

Simple solution 5 yes ( 5 ) Brass Nails into the bottom of the said tree..approx 5-6 months later problem solved.

Best time After Midnight. Who Me?
That will work. Or you can clear a little dirt from the base of the tree and drill a few holes in the sub-turain trunk and roots, pour a bunch of salt in the area including the holes you drilled, and cover it all back up with dirt. The tree will eventually die and you will get ARC approval to remove it. Just don't apply with ARC before doing this or it will raise concerns. Sometimes it is best to not ask.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8xwb View Post
I haven't looked at the other replies, so if this has already been said, I apologize. If you can live without the tree and it isn't that important to you, you might consider offering to have it removed at her expense. That expense should also cover what you paid to have it planted too
That is what I was going to say.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:59 AM

If the ARC approved the planting, you have complied with the rule. This problem happens more often with interior lots which is why interior lots cost less. Explain to your neighbor your efforts to find a compromise without cost to you. However, the present situation is the best that can be done unless you want to be unhappy to make your neighbor happy. A recurring problem when living in close quarters.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
There really are some great posts about keeping a friend or loosing one. About making or not making an enemy. At our age can we agree that many people are very principled?

If the VIEW is so important have the neighbor let you VIEW the $$Benjamins$$ to cover the compromise that you decide upon. It's not a regular compromise because it should be the neighbor who is feeling ALL the pain financially, not you, you did everything the correct way. Why should you be a people pleaser or uncomfortable? Many people would have told her to hit the bricks.

I have great neighbors, top drawer, fantastic people but there is only one that I would do this for and not accept a penny. If this person matters to you the way this one neighbor matter to me then maybe you have to adjust the plan and foot the bill and upset YOUR yard!
I have a similar situation actually. I have a "peek a boo" view of Evan's Prairie Marsh from my front Bedroom. 5 years ago when we moved in I asked my neighbor across the street (great people BTW) to just consider this view as they developed their property. I mentioned I of course understood it was well within their rights to do what they wanted, but it was just a neighborly request, and if they did something that blocked it, it would not affect our friendship. Sort of a preemtive strike of sorts. 5 years and they have done a LOT of upgrades and I still have a view. This is how to handle things the best way. Now, If I had not done this and the same situation as the OP posted had happened, I would be more than willing to pay for a change to his yard. I think that the best option here is the work with your neighbors, but make her pay to remove the tree. Personally, I would not replace it with anything, I think that would get you huge brownie points with not only her, but the whole neighborhood! Live the Golden rule here and treat others how you would like to be treated. That is how I feel. Some great advice has been given here. Good people in TV!
Ed
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 12-28-2019, 04:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
It’s. 4” .
Oh my.....that's even worse!!!

Tags
tree, planted, upset, home, question

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.