HELP...my car alarm is going crazy...can someone out there help me

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2015, 07:03 AM
Default HELP...my car alarm is going crazy...can someone out there help me

I have a Toyota Rav 4 with a factory installed alarm. It went crazy last night. I called AAA and they tried to stop it by disconnecting the battery but that didn't help. He got it to start as I couldn't drive it but every time I put my foot on the brake the alarm went off all the way home (more then 4 miles) and with all the roundabouts you can imagine how much noise I made. I work full time and I need my car although I will be driving my golf cart today. I can't imagine driving all the way to Phillips Toyota with the alarm sounding. Other then having it towed there I just don't know what to do.
Any handyman out there with any suggestions or a good pair of wire cutters...
Old 03-28-2015, 07:10 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Daily Run View Post
I have a Toyota Rav 4 with a factory installed alarm. It went crazy last night. I called AAA and they tried to stop it by disconnecting the battery but that didn't help. He got it to start as I couldn't drive it but every time I put my foot on the brake the alarm went off all the way home (more then 4 miles) and with all the roundabouts you can imagine how much noise I made. I work full time and I need my car although I will be driving my golf cart today. I can't imagine driving all the way to Phillips Toyota with the alarm sounding. Other then having it towed there I just don't know what to do.
If it's still under the Toyota warranty, cutting wires may not be the best idea.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 03-28-2015, 07:21 AM
Eternal Member

Sounds (no pun intended) as though the car is inoperable to drive on the road. AAA should tow the car to Phillips to be repaired. Have AAA work it out directly with Phillips. They will do that.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:40 AM
Gold member
Default Read the instruction book....

Quote:
if that doesn't work go to the Toyota website and ask those who made it....
Old 03-28-2015, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

You do not state how old the car is, I am assuming it is less than 10 years old. In this case, most of the cars have their own internal communications system, which in this case monitors several inputs to determine if the car is being stolen. So IMHO, I am guessing that one of these inputs (door ajar, key in the ignition, hood ajar, vibration, tilt, etc sensor) is defective, causing the computer to say Hey I am being stolen.

I had a Chrysler Sebring convertible that did something very similar. Initially the dealer quoted repairs and replacements that would have totaled over $1200, not including the towing!! After some additional discussion the dealer told me to try disconnecting the battery FOR OVER 1/2 HOUR, to completely clear all codes, etc. This actually worked, unfortunately, whatever was causing the problem, continued, and I had to do this 2-3 more times until I sold the car. I did mention to the buyer this quirk.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

I did a quick Google search, here is a link to some info on false alarms.

Car alarm going off for no reason? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Look at the hood closed sensor.

Hope this helps...........
Old 03-28-2015, 09:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I did a quick Google search, here is a link to some info on false alarms.

Car alarm going off for no reason? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Look at the hood closed sensor.

Hope this helps...........
VillageTinker, are you available for hire? You have the solution to so many things. Guess that explains your title: you tinker with stuff.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Some alarm systems utilize the car's horn to emit the alarm sound. You might try unplugging it.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:28 AM
Veteran member

Check on the location of all of your car remotes. Most have a "panic button." If some thing is pressing against that panic button (like a pair of shoes, a dog, a can of oil, etc), it will keep going off.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:46 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
I would call the service manager at Phillip's Toyota tomorow morning and see what he suggests. They are so helpful over there. We had two Camry's in a row from there because we loved the service dept. so much. Hope they can help.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.