Open Exercise in Sport Pools

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2015, 06:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts
Question Open Exercise in Sport Pools

When "Open exercise and walk with no lanes in" is listed on the sport pools schedule, is swimming considered an exercise? Just wondering how the folks who swim laps view this. Is swimming considered an exercise? Thanks.

I do plan to ask someone who works at the rec center to get an "official" answer but was wondering how the sport pool participants feel about this.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:15 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Swimming at the sports pools is very much an exercise.. My wife swims laps every morning.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:22 AM

There is open exercise prior to my aerobics class at the Savannah sports pool. There is a dividing coil across the pool to designate one side for laps and the other for walking or whatever. Perhaps this is how they do it at other sports pools as well.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:30 AM
Veteran member

yes, swimming is exercise. Generally the walkers will be in the non-lane area, and lap swimmers get the lanes. Occasionally you'll have walkers in the lanes though. Its not a problem if there are other lanes open, but if all the lanes are full, I'll ask the walkers if they would mind going to the open area. Lap swimmers need to have the lane lines in order to swim.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
When "Open exercise and walk with no lanes in" is listed on the sport pools schedule, is swimming considered an exercise? Just wondering how the folks who swim laps view this. Is swimming considered an exercise?
I believe your question is about "Open" sessions, rather than "Combo" or "Lap" sessions.

When I tried doing laps in an Open session the (very few) walkers kept congregating for a chat at the end of my black pool line, forcing me to keep switching. Even though I was deliberately avoiding them while they were walking widths, they clearly resented someone swimming in "their" pool. All seemed rather petty and unVillagerlike, but that's how it goes here sometimes.

The definition of an Open session is open to interpretation, so you would be doing everyone a favor if you could get the official line and post it here.

What is not unclear is that, for combo and lap sessions, you are supposed to share your lane if all lanes are taken. Some people refuse to do this, but you can insist if you want to.

Each year, more and more combo sessions are replaced by organized activities with the result that less and less time is available for swimming.

I have suggested to Recreation that Laurel Manor - which has deeper water and diving boards and is thus a proper "swimming" pool, less suited to other activities - should have its lane-markers left in 24/7, but that fell on deaf ears.

To be fair, it is impossible to keep everyone happy, but I do think Recreation makes work for itself by constantly having to put in and take out lane markers.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I believe your question is about "Open" sessions, rather than "Combo" or "Lap" sessions.

When I tried doing laps in an Open session the (very few) walkers kept congregating for a chat at the end of my black pool line, forcing me to keep switching. Even though I was deliberately avoiding them while they were walking widths, they clearly resented someone swimming in "their" pool. All seemed rather petty and unVillagerlike, but that's how it goes here sometimes.

The definition of an Open session is open to interpretation, so you would be doing everyone a favor if you could get the official line and post it here.

What is not unclear is that, for combo and lap sessions, you are supposed to share your lane if all lanes are taken. Some people refuse to do this, but you can insist if you want to.

Each year, more and more combo sessions are replaced by organized activities with the result that less and less time is available for swimming.

I have suggested to Recreation that Laurel Manor - which has deeper water and diving boards and is thus a proper "swimming" pool, less suited to other activities - should have its lane-markers left in 24/7, but that fell on deaf ears.

To be fair, it is impossible to keep everyone happy, but I do think Recreation makes work for itself by constantly having to put in and take out lane markers.
Widths? Really? I've never seen anyone walking the width of the pool. Why would they do that? I've always seen the walkers walk the length of the pool and stay within the marked lines. Does "open exercise" mean a free for all in the pool like a neighborhood pool? There seems to be no order in that.

I will ask someone behind the desk at the rec center what is expected of "open exercise with no lanes in".
Old 03-08-2015, 08:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts
Default Swimmer

My wife and I are thinking of buying at the villages but if we can not lap swim year round it is a non starter. We both like to swim at least one mile per day 4 or 5 days per week. For the amenity fees we are hoping we can have adequate lap swimming time. What are peoples experiences with this. As a reference, we consider lap swimming a heated 25 yard pool that has no more than 2 people per lane.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:25 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
My wife and I are thinking of buying at the villages but if we can not lap swim year round it is a non starter. We both like to swim at least one mile per day 4 or 5 days per week. For the amenity fees we are hoping we can have adequate lap swimming time. What are peoples experiences with this. As a reference, we consider lap swimming a heated 25 yard pool that has no more than 2 people per lane.
FYI , there is an INDOOR pool being built just out side the villages. They will charge a membership fee. At this time I have no other info about it. I would think swimming in the winter could be a bit difficult as we do get cold spells.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:26 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post

This may sound incredible, but it's been my experience as well.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:50 PM
Sage
Default swimmer

You would think that for the amenity fees one could swim laps at the villages year round? Question, how cold are the pools in the winter. I would a rather swim in a semi-cold pool that is not crowded than show up and have the pool packed and not be able to swim laps in peace. I don't mind wearing a light wet suit to stay warm.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy steam View Post
FYI , there is an INDOOR pool being built just out side the villages. They will charge a membership fee. At this time I have no other info about it. I would think swimming in the winter could be a bit difficult as we do get cold spells.
When you get more info on this new indoor pool, please post it on this site. I am very interested.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
You would think that for the amenity fees one could swim laps at the villages year round? Question, how cold are the pools in the winter. I would a rather swim in a semi-cold pool that is not crowded than show up and have the pool packed and not be able to swim laps in peace. I don't mind wearing a light wet suit to stay warm.
You can swim laps year round. All the pools' water temp is kept at a steady 83-84 degrees and the chemistry is consistently "just right", too.

Getting out is the cold part, if the ambient temperature is below 65, but you make a quick dash for the hot showers when it's like that sometimes in Jan-Feb. I can't say how packed the lanes are in the mornings, but in afternoon-evening it's usually 1 person per lane and we do share lanes.

With 10(+) 8-lane 25-yd sport pools, all around TV, you have many choices at various times during the day/evening. See Regional Rec Center Sport Pools schedules at the weekly Rec News linked below. (VAST on the schedule is the vast swim team) Neighborhood rec center adult pools and family pools are grouped geographically under the regional centers.

http://www.thevillagesdailysun.com/a...ews/index.html
Old 03-08-2015, 09:45 PM
Sage
Default Swimmer

Thanks for the information, that is encouraging. Don't mind the cold when getting out of the pool. Diving for lobsters in Rockport, MA next month and the water will be in the 40's. Just hate more than 2 people per lane when swimming laps. One other quick question, we are renting for a month to look for homes and understand that with my owners guest pass I can not use the sport pools. Is that true and if so, how can I possibly find out if the pools will fit my needs before buying?
Old 03-08-2015, 09:58 PM

yes a guest pass allows you to use pool but there is rarely a "pass checker " at the pools at lap time
Old 03-08-2015, 10:08 PM

If your renting you should get a resident pass not a guest pass. It will cost $50 for 2 and you will be able to use the sports pool. With a guest pass you can't use them.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.