Help with New Furniture

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2019, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

The bedroom and dining room we purchased from City Furniture is about 2 years old give or take and it's holding up perfectly so far.

On each order, we told them that we will inspect the entire purchase outside our home and if there is any problem back it goes. The first chair for the dining room wasn't even close to the color wood that we ordered. I just told them see ya and started walking away. They travel with two trucks so they went back to the store and corrected the mistake and we couldn't be happier.

With your budget maybe Babettes would be the better choice. Good Luck and Welcome.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments.

We spoke with Babette's, and were not able to find what we wanted.

We continued searching and considered a trip to Hickory, NC, and decided against that for now.

So, we ended up (we think) deciding to just get what we "need" to have for now from Macys and then shop around and replace pieces as we find what we want without the "moving in soon" pressure. Macys is having a sale now (aren't they always?) with 44%+10% off - so it is not too expensive.

We only have about 3 weeks until move in and decided we just didn't need the stress right now.

(Now to decide which cars to keep and if we should get an Atomic Cart or what - lol - NEVER MOVE AGAIN!)
Old 08-13-2019, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default My opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
We have decided to not bring our old furniture with us next month when we move in to TV.

We have looked around and found a set we like but on researching it, the reviews are not to pretty good. Since we would have to order this "sight unseen" that is not too pretty good.

So, can anyone recommend a store or brand or set that is similar to this one (Bonaventure Park by HomElegance) that we can touch and feel locally (Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Orlando, etc)

Our budget is around $15k for the three rooms
What you show in your pictures is imitation antique, traditional furniture. Just looking at your pictures is screams machine carving, plastic molding and made to a price.

If, your furniture is well made, you might want to consider having it refinished. A good job is not going to be cheap.

You may want to visit The Furniture Barn. They have some nice traditional furniture that has been cleaned and lightly restored.

We bought an all leather couch. Quality-even the ends are leather not the commonly used to save money vinyl. After five years, you don't see it unless I tell you. The ends of the cushions are vinyl and they are peeling
Old 08-13-2019, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default My opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Thanks everyone for the helpful comments.

We spoke with Babette's, and were not able to find what we wanted.

We continued searching and considered a trip to Hickory, NC, and decided against that for now.

So, we ended up (we think) deciding to just get what we "need" to have for now from Macys and then shop around and replace pieces as we find what we want without the "moving in soon" pressure. Macys is having a sale now (aren't they always?) with 44%+10% off - so it is not too expensive.

We only have about 3 weeks until move in and decided we just didn't need the stress right now.

(Now to decide which cars to keep and if we should get an Atomic Cart or what - lol - NEVER MOVE AGAIN!)
Buying the wrong thing because it is one sale is always a mistake. Furniture as you tease is always on a sale the reason is we've all been conditioned to buy on sale. The sale price is often what is the normal retail price-or perhaps, a fair price. It is always less expensive to to the right thing the first time then to sell you mistake to buy what you really want.

As to three weeks to move. I was packing right up till the time the moving van pulled up in front of our home.

Do not make the mistake we did. The buyer who I had misjudged asked for a guess about $1,000 worth of of furniture.
I agreed to give it to them. At closing they complained the place was not broom cleaned-whatever that means. Sadly typical today their atty demanded I leave $1500 in escrow to clean it. Apparently before we got there my atty agreed to this-without asking me. I enjoyed the expression one the face of their atty, my atty, the title representative. my crying wife etc etc etc When I explained if they want to try this stuff we will put the closing off and I will give away everything not listed in the sales contract. Moral sell everything you are leaving behind or leave it out with the trash.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Thanks for all the helpful advice!

We are meeting with the Realtor to put our current house on the market tomorrow. They will be responsible for all the clean up, touch, up, staging, everything including the sale. We are packing a truck, my son in law is driving it down in return for a Disney vacation on us.

Shopping is a PIA!

We have been looking for Wing Back chairs in a style we like for days. We finally found a place that does it, and we really got excited, then noticed the store is in Ireland. I asked if they delivered, and they said not to The Villages!
Closed Thread

Tags
pretty, good, furniture, set, similar

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.