Help suggestions for an elderly lady living arraignments

Closed Thread
Old 06-02-2021, 08:34 AM
Location: Near Sumter Landing; come down when we can; still live in Forest Hills, a suburb of NYC

While it would be great if family members could/would live up to their expectations, many just don’t. She may not actually want her son to help. He might be an unpleasant, unhelpful person. She may not want her closest family to be involved in her important decisions.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:39 AM
Location: Near Sumter Landing; come down when we can; still live in Forest Hills, a suburb of NYC

While it would be great if family members could/would live up to their expectations, many just don’t. She may not actually want her son to help. He might be an unpleasant, unhelpful person. She may not want or trust her closest family to be involved in her important decisions. Sad, but not so unusual.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:10 AM

Try "A place for MOM."
Old 06-02-2021, 09:38 AM

As a person that is familiar with at least 30 Assisted Living places around Central Fl over the years via family members experiences and other people I would totally recommend a thoroughly checked out "live in" caregiver with a driver's license. This is way way cheaper and when you find one that really cares about her, she can go many many places and live like she wants. The other way gives you a menu you may not like, a bed, people you might not to live with you can't get rid off, and many sicknesses you would not otherwise have. Not to mention constant theft. Yes, I mean the most expensive ones as well!! Do FBI background checks, license checks, and good interviewing techniques. Your third one will be the charm.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:39 AM

The Villages has several assisted living and memory care options, you can try Sumter Grand on 466 to start. Also, you can just call The Villages 800 number and I’m sure they will give you other suggestions. If she can live on her own, maybe The Lofts would be another avenue. They rent month to month. She could set up a conservatorship with her attorney to take over paying her bills and other financial issues. She really needs to consult an attorney to get another relative on her accounts if the son is not capable.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:43 AM

Oh, I forgot. Never hire a "company" that supplies live in caregivers. They charge a fortune, will hire the dregs, will send anybody, and I mean anybody over, and they pay the people actually doing the work an insulting amount which means they never have good people. I know of situations where the caregivers of the "companies" were doing meth on the job, pot on the job, show up drunk, having sex with their boyfriends with the patient in the room, having multi visitors over, etc. Just get ONE with references that you actually visit and interview them also.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Elan Is a relatively new facility on Rt 466 and Buena Vista. It's not in Spanish Springs. I think Watercrest Spanish Springs is a different facility. Other facilities are Buffalo Ridge, Mission Oaks, and Sumter Grande.
We toured Elan & the others. Elan is my favorite. Very bright cheery atmosphere
Old 06-02-2021, 10:05 AM

Our neighbor is moving to Buffalo Crossing with his wife.
Seems nice but would check more out. Ask for price and
how often, every year or so is the rent going up. And is
there a Dr. or at least a RN 24hour on duty. How often to
they check on people if they don’t show up for breakfast,
Lunch or dinner?
Old 06-02-2021, 10:08 AM
Send a message via AIM to newgirl

Contact a attorney before you do anything else! Make sure her house is in trust etc.so she does not lose all her assets, you don't want to be responsible for her losing everything she has and ending up in a dump somewhere.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:15 AM

I sincerely appreciate everyone's guidance and after talking to our neighbor, we have all made a decision to visit her attorney next week in Tampa and have him provide guidance to my neighbor's predicament. Her attorney appeared very willing and concerned over the phone and indicated that he would have her evaluated and after conferring with her physician, the attorney will secure an appropriate safe living arraignment for my neighbor. For the time, her attorney will provide her with a part-time aid to assist her with her daily needs. I had no idea there were so many levels of care facilities based on the individuals needs. Also had no idea how expensive some of the facilities are. Regarding her son, he will not be able to assist his mother as he is currently on a federal paid vacation and won't return for another eight years.

My wife and I thank everyone for their assistance and I had no idea how difficult it is to secure housing for an elderly lady who needs a little help. I wonder why this country can't help their elderly citizens a bit better. THANKS
Old 06-02-2021, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine B View Post
The Villages has several assisted living and memory care options, you can try Sumter Grand on 466 to start. Also, you can just call The Villages 800 number and I’m sure they will give you other suggestions. If she can live on her own, maybe The Lofts would be another avenue. They rent month to month. She could set up a conservatorship with her attorney to take over paying her bills and other financial issues. She really needs to consult an attorney to get another relative on her accounts if the son is not capable.
Sumter Grand is on Rt 466A, not 466. The address is:

1490 Killingsworth Way, The Villages, FL 32162
Old 06-02-2021, 12:34 PM
Default Relocation to Assisted Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
I had to comment on the P.S. yes, the son should get his butt in gear and come down here and get her settled in. Im pretty sure he will come poking around in her final days to see whats left for him to take home. Theres always that one in every family who wont take on any responsibility
Agree that this is a concern. However, it may well be that the son is incapable of being of assistance...disabled mentally or physically. Thankfully, there are others who are willing to step up and be helpful.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:27 PM

One more thing. Be able to watch cameras in the home on your phone at any time and several locations.
Old 06-02-2021, 04:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Trinity Springs behind the 466 Walmart is a beautiful facility as well. People might forget we have that here. They have a Facebook page. I've heard good things about it plus Buffalo Crossings.
I think Buffalo Crossings had a fair amount of COVID with both the residents and the staff.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:17 AM

I researched the area and visited multiple places. Mission Oaks was my choice for my mother and I was exceedingly pleased. It has been in business over 10 years and has some of its original staff members. It is smaller, which I believe provides better, more intimate care. My mother was able to remain there as her needs increased - not all places could have kept and cared for her. Brand new places have kinks to work out; I’d be wary of them.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, living, neighbor, lives, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.