Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:25 PM
deestatham
Default We're Here!

Well, after 5 long years of planning our move to TV, we arrived on Friday 9/5. Moving was the most stressful thing I've ever done but we are getting settled in and feeling good. We sold EVERYTHING and came with just 50 boxes. We are renting a furnished house for a year until we decide to buy. So we're looking forward to meeting lots of new friends and becoming a frog.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deestatham View Post
Well, after 5 long years of planning our move to TV, we arrived on Friday 9/5. Moving was the most stressful thing I've ever done but we are getting settled in and feeling good. We sold EVERYTHING and came with just 50 boxes. We are renting a furnished house for a year until we decide to buy. So we're looking forward to meeting lots of new friends and becoming a frog.
Congrats. Be there in 2 months
Old 09-10-2015, 07:05 PM
deestatham

Well we look forward to having you here. Moving is a huge job but so far TV has been well worth it.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:23 PM
Default Warranty FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpierleo View Post
I also agree solar tubes were one of our best after market investments. I also recommend you use this forum for many of your questions, particulary for numerous contractors you may want in the future. Also, ask away on this forum, you will receive great advise. Most of all, enjoy!
Just an FYI folks. When you install solar tubes, your shingle warranty is terminated. we were also told by several TV realtors, that it voids your roof warranty as well. If your home is older,, I guess its moot.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:06 AM
deestatham
Default Vet recommendation

Just moved here 3 weeks ago and need a recommendation for a really good vet. Live in village of Chatham
Old 09-27-2015, 07:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by deestatham View Post
Just moved here 3 weeks ago and need a recommendation for a really good vet. Live in village of Chatham
We use Buffalo Ridge Animal Hospital. They have a location in Pinellas Plaza. Their main location is of CR 466 near Walmart. That location also provides 24/7 emergency care for your pet
Old 09-27-2015, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

People seem to like Buffalo Ridge and Park Heights on 441. Also, if you do a search on the forum for veterinarian, you should come up with many suggestions. I tend to pay more attention to the recent ones.

The only real negative I've heard on this forum is for the new one down at Colony, but I don't think that would be real close to you.

If you wish a holistic vet, I can find out the name of one from my friend.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:47 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

This is how we operate down in The Villages.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2335.JPG
Views:	670
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	56909  
Old 12-29-2015, 08:30 PM
Platinum member
Default Pickle Ball Injuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count'n the days View Post
Your chances of having a pickle ball injury is huge. Don't take a break from unpacking to play what appears to be an easy game. You may end up visiting the ER and not being able to enjoy the TV's Lifestyle as soon as you had planned. I can't stress this enough!
During my early days at TV I was going through a variety of illnesses and injuries (now under control) that caused me to go to Lake Regional Urgent Care at Lake Sumter Landing several times, for treatment and follow-up.

At least 80% of the time, when I went there was a patient there who was being treated for a leg injury received while playing pickle ball. None were able to walk unassisted.

I played shuffleboard, Bocci Ball, and used the swimming pools. Never got around to horseshoes. Did some putting practice on golf courses. Avoided pickle ball.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
During my early days at TV I was going through a variety of illnesses and injuries (now under control) that caused me to go to Lake Regional Urgent Care at Lake Sumter Landing several times, for treatment and follow-up.

At least 80% of the time, when I went there was a patient there who was being treated for a leg injury received while playing pickle ball. None were able to walk unassisted.

I played shuffleboard, Bocci Ball, and used the swimming pools. Never got around to horseshoes. Did some putting practice on golf courses. Avoided pickle ball.
Your 80% figure seems odd to me. I play intermediate-level pickleball three times a week and have seen three people fall in four years, and they weren't hurt.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:01 PM

We had a bad experience with a couple that was looking for yardwork. We had them cut down some trees, and they were supposed to dig up the stumps. They cut down the trees and after several days delay, they finally came back while we weren't there. They cut the stumps off even with the ground and covered them with dirt so they appeared to be finished. I didn't go out and dig in the dirt to see if there was a hidden stump, so I didn't discover what they had done until they were gone and nowhere to be found.
So I agree that it's best to get a recommendation from someone who has used a particular person or company to do work for them. You just can't tell from what they say or how they appear. And though you would like to trust someone, it's not a good idea with someone you hire that you don't know.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:09 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Your 80% figure seems odd to me. I play intermediate-level pickleball three times a week and have seen three people fall in four years, and they weren't hurt.
I just reported my experience over a period of time at a particular place. I played tennis for years and racquetball for decades without being injured, but that has nothing to do with what I saw at the named medical facility in The Villages. In the same vein, your experience has no bearing on what I saw.

You might also note that the original warning was for new arrivals who would presumably not be familiar with the sport and would not be playing at the Intermediate Level.

There are less risky games than Pickleball for older people to play.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:22 AM
Sage

I played tennis for years too-25 years, 15 of those on a team. I injured both knees, my shoulder, and back and finally had to quit. Pickleball is so much easier on the body than tennis.

We took pickleball 101, 102, and 103 (103 a couple of times) and continue to take intermediate clinics. They all encourage safety and proper shoes. I would encourage newcomers, if they are interested in a court sport, to take these classes and learn the do's and don'ts.

There are roughly 150 pickleball courts in TV. People are playing it and having fun. I wouldn't discourage playing it. I would encourage learning the proper form, though. Just my opinion.

I'm very glad you have overcome your health issues and wish you continued good health, Carl.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Sheriff's rules for golf carts.

http://www.**************.com/tips-s...f-cart-safety/

Sorry. From the shhh online news. It was a neat and concise short video going over the age of drivers and speed limits etc.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:10 PM
Veteran member
Default Spanish Springs Fountain of Youth is a Sham!

Above all don't drink the water from the Fountain of Youth in Spanish Springs - It a sham. I've been drinking it for the last 5 years now and still got 5 year older. Its completely miss represented and at times it even turns green and stains everything ! But, I hear the water going into Brownwood off Rt 44 by the cowboys and Bulls has some promise so we moved closer and will let you know how it goes in another 5 years (I hope - someone reminds me just in case I forget ). If anyone has any other promising thoughts let me know, I'm not getting any younger and need all the help I can get.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.