Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:21 AM

I think I saw a post from you that said a good yard maintenance person, Earl, trims shrubs, weeds, mows for $50 a month....was that right?
Thanks, looking for a new lawn person.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:25 AM

After having my water turned off, even irrigation for several months I was gone, I kept having water bills. The Villages Water Dept. checked the
meter, and all was checked. Research told me that water "hijacking" is common in water metered areas all over the US. I was advised to put a
water lock (available at Home Depot for about $15), or take the handles off, so it was more difficult for a "neighbor" to hook a hose up, and guess what? No more water usage....
Old 09-19-2017, 10:55 AM
Sage
Default Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardeniagirl View Post
After having my water turned off, even irrigation for several months I was gone, I kept having water bills. The Villages Water Dept. checked the
meter, and all was checked. Research told me that water "hijacking" is common in water metered areas all over the US. I was advised to put a
water lock (available at Home Depot for about $15), or take the handles off, so it was more difficult for a "neighbor" to hook a hose up, and guess what? No more water usage....

So, either one or more of your neighbors are thieves OR people they hired to do work are thieves. Back in the 70's people would need to install gas tank locks because of the rapid gas price increases back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Wiotte; 09-19-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:41 AM

This thread has been very helpful. Thank for starting it!
Old 09-20-2017, 02:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelHungry View Post
This thread has been very helpful. Thank for starting it!
Welcome to TOTV!
Old 09-20-2017, 03:33 PM
Default Specific Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB46 View Post
Any specific advice? Or, just enjoy until they put pressure on you?
We were never pressured. Lynn Petersen had the patience of Jobe with us. We looked for almost two years until we were a year away from retirement. In the meantime, he took us looking at new areas and sent us information as we requested. We ended up buying a lot while on a cruise in the Greek Isles. Lynn managed to put a lock on the lot so we had time to pull into Athens and take the necessary steps to purchase the property. No regrets!
Old 10-09-2017, 09:30 AM

Who do you recommend for Internet service and do you use cable for TV or Roku thanks Anne
Old 10-09-2017, 10:29 AM
Gold member
Default Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Beware the clever and sneaky water system salespeople! They will phone and mail solicitations under all sorts of fake identities, but when you question and press, they'll finally fess up to being water system sales. And they are relentless in their persistence. My father recently bought a house and he has been bombarded for two months now, despite repeatedly telling the phone soliciters 'No thanks', and throwing away the mail disguised as all sorts of government and official looking important papers. Geez, what an irritating group they are!
First register with do not call list.
Many people do not do the important second step which is if you are called report the call to the do not call list. The caller is finded for this intrusion.
Do NOT give any information over the phone-Is this Mr. Smith-Reply-Whose asking?
Use your telephone answering machine. You can always call people you want to speak to back.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:54 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
First register with do not call list.
Many people do not do the important second step which is if you are called report the call to the do not call list. The caller is finded for this intrusion.
Do NOT give any information over the phone-Is this Mr. Smith-Reply-Whose asking?
Use your telephone answering machine. You can always call people you want to speak to back.
We haven't had these problems yet. we bought I'm early May, I immediately put a "no soliciting" sign near my doorbell. The first to ignore it was last Friday and unfortunately my wife went to the door instead of me. Phone solicitors none to date but we do get a nasty religious guy calling about doomsday. No junk mail either although they may not deliver it to Fenney if it is not first class mail, having a problem with the post office down here.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:18 AM

Purchased September of last year, moved in May of this year. Companies I've had good luck with so far: Carpet cleaning Dan - 352-409-0812, does work for the Empty Nest program and was recommended by them and me; Exterior House Cleaning - Edgar's 352-728-8537, great price, on time and didn't leave a mess; Window Cleaning - Michael's 352-288-0937, on time, fast and great work; I use Dean's for the yard and pest control, not the best but not the worst, customer service is excellent, call a complaint they get right on it, especially if the crew is still in the area; Munn's AC & Heating 352-787-7741, on time, quality service, professional.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:30 PM
Platinum member

[QUOTE=suesiegel;1459350]First register with do not call list.
Use your telephone answering machine. You can always call people

Last edited by Fraugoofy; 10-12-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
What is a telephone answering machine?

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Totally off topic. . . in the early 1980's when I got my first apartment near Loyola University's campus in the Rogers Park neighborhood of Chicago, my 3 roommates and I got an answering machine from Sears. Answering machines were still relatively new. Our ans. machine had a pre-recorded generic outgoing message in a man's voice, something like "We can't take your call right now; please leave a message." A few days after we get the ans. machine, my mother calls. The ans. machine turns on in the man's voice with the pre-recorded generic outgoing message.

Then I hear my mother on the other end saying "I knew those girls had a man living in that apartment." Click and my mother hangs up the phone. My roommates and I had a good laugh over my mom's reaction to the answering machine.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:48 AM

Get seatbelts in your golf cart. Saves lives.

For furniture, check out Bargains and Treasures and Nearly New. They are very reasonable and they deliver. We purchased a beautiful Cherry Wood China Cabinet and three beautiful cherry wood bookcases at a very, very reasonable price. We were lucky when we arrived there and it was almost like they were waiting for us. We got lucky. Good luck!
Old 10-12-2017, 08:52 AM

I like Kelly McKnight, DDS in Laurel Manor for a dentist.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:27 AM
Smile

Great Advice, we've had several "door pounder's"once we moved in over a year ago. We were kind, but decided to wait before return visits and estimates for any services; especially LAWN CARE. We decided, to go with our neighbors provider; Fertigator Lawn Care. BEST. DECISION. EVER. We heard horror stories of companies taking advantage of the residents here, so we didn't prepay for our first year. We have NO COMPLAINTS. Everything is completed with ONE company (we chose the total care option). We've lived in Florida for over 20 years (West Palm), and our lawn has NEVER looked better. This year we did prepay for services, and have not been let down with the quality of service we have received. They even take care of our Termite control now. I've read several threads with former customers from some of the other companies that, in fact, did knock on our door, needless to say we are happy that we didn't make a quick decision from a fast talking salesman. We spoke with our neighbors, and made an excellent choice. Take your time, use your resources. It will all come together.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.