Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
its the land line and those who stop by and have you fill out an info card
I guess the solution is not to fill out the info card.
Thanks
Old 03-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

One of the things that new villagers don't do is to find a doctor and have their records transferred. It just isn't on your mind to do when you are not sick.

But many can tell you that health emergencies can occur at any time and it helps to have someone in possession of your records.

Do not ask me who to choose for a doctor. Ours is just o.k..Our dentist is so good that I hate to share.

O.K. Drs. Kathleen Williams and her partner at Palm Dental on 466 across from Crispers and next to Lang Eye. You owe me big time. I hope they don't get any busier than they are.

BE VERY CAREFUL of dentists. This is the first time I have lived in a place where they will scam you. There are a lot of unethical ones and dental hygienists too who want to deep clean you for over a thousand dollars.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-13-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:32 PM
Gold member

All the cell phone numbers I gave out during the building process will be changed when we move full time to TV. I never give out my unlisted land line number to anyone except friends and family. That should stop the vendor calls.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:09 PM
Veteran member

Agree with don't ever pay up front, especially landscapers. One of my favorite improvements was the solar tubes in the dark area's of our home'
Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
before you move take a long hard look at your furniture and decide whether you really want the same in your new home in TV. I can't tell you how many new residents wind up getting new furniture becuase it is time or it doesn't go in the new house as well or it is not a Florida-ie or just because.

We for one could have saved time and money by bringing our master bedroom and guest furniture only. Sell, pass on, give away and don't pay to move it.

When it comes to golf carts take your time to comparison shop.

CHeck with your neighbors for the various services they use. Many of us have had to trial and error find ones we are satisfied with.

As has been stated already beware/ignore the door knockers....especially the ones who want to trim your trees and bushes whether they need them or not.

btk
We sold or gave away our furniture before moving to TV. We bought from Southern Lifestyles who have the floor plans for each model home ad are able to do floor plans for each room. When we got here our new furniture was all in place as designed and we felt like we were coming home rather than moving in.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:22 PM

Best advice I got came from a bumper sticker I saw shortly after moving here. It said "we don't care how you did it up north".
Old 03-13-2013, 10:52 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

I believe as soon as you connect a landline through companies like Comcast, companies can obtain immediate access to a new customes data base since they know there is a 30 day delay on the DO NOT CALL LIST, so they take advantage of the window of opportunity. They also know when you close on a home through public record and will cross reference your address, name and new #. It's called marketing and only you can control it by how you deal with the calls.
Another thing to keep in mind is to learn your homes mechanics. Meaning such things as your irrigation system and how to use it, your locks on your garage doors are a very common unknown by residents of The Villages. I always suggest to clients that they lock their garage doors if they are going away for a period of time. I have heard many residents say that one of their neighbors garage door openers, opens their door as well.
Bring a camera with you when searching for your new home. It can be overwhelming and by the end of the day, you won't remember what you saw or where it was. Also, take a camera to the design meeting.
If you are closing up your home for the summer and heading north, turn off your main water (as long as you don't need it to be on for a spa or pool, etc..), close your blinds so the sun does not heat up the home and cause your AC to run when not needed, turn your hot water heater off, no one is taking a shower ... hopefully.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:56 PM

I also agree solar tubes were one of our best after market investments. I also recommend you use this forum for many of your questions, particulary for numerous contractors you may want in the future. Also, ask away on this forum, you will receive great advise. Most of all, enjoy!
Old 03-14-2013, 03:32 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Medical records- Use a thumb drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
One of the things that new villagers don't do is to find a doctor and have their records transferred. It just isn't on your mind to do when you are not sick.

But many can tell you that health emergencies can occur at any time and it helps to have someone in possession of your records.

Do not ask me who to choose for a doctor. Ours is just o.k..Our dentist is so good that I hate to share.

O.K. Drs. Kathleen Williams and her partner at Palm Dental on 466 across from Crispers and next to Lang Eye. You owe me big time. I hope they don't get any busier than they are.

BE VERY CAREFUL of dentists. This is the first time I have lived in a place where they will scam you. There are a lot of unethical ones and dental hygienists too who want to deep clean you for over a thousand dollars.
In addition I suggest a thumb drive with you at all times.
Last time we moved our doctor sugested we get a thumb drive that had a medic-alert symbol on it and add it to our keys. If something happens when traveling you have all right at hand and emts look for medic alets.
We scanned in the medical files and had a file titled emergency overview at the top listing meds alergies pre existing conditions etc. When my husband had a cardiac problem the nurse took the drive plugged it into the computer and transfered the whole lot into a file with his name on it. No waiting for a link to the files from the doctor etc. Some doctors nurses will set the drive up for you for a fee. But there are two types one that is just a blank thumb with medical markings and the other has software with questions to answer included.

Just a thought
Old 03-14-2013, 07:27 AM
Veteran member

Before doing any major landscaping, drive around established neighborhoods and get ideas on what you might want to plant. Watch what TV plants to get an idea on different flowers in different seasons.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarick View Post
I notice that some here are saying that they receive phone calls from pushy vendors. My question is how did they get your new phone number? Especially if you have a cell phone? or do you have a land line which is posted somewhere?
Please share.
We have a land-line, but the ringers are turned off and we only use it for OUTGOING calls. We get anywhere from 8-15 calls a day on that line. Otherwise we have our cells and the only people with our cell number is the people we WANT to have it.

Also..the purchase of your home is Public Record Information and can be found in the appropriate county office and must be available to anybody who asks for it. Many of these companies employ people to sweep the public records for new home owner information.

Other ways they get your number..be VERY careful about filling out cards for things YOU WANT such as grocery store discount card a "My Lowes" card, a CVS or Walgreens discount card. All those companies sell off your number. They say that they won't or don't but if you CAREFULLY READ the fine print it says they won't sell your number but by accepting the card you do agree to allow them to share your information with their "related businesses". That means that anybody they want to "relate" to gets your number. In essence..they sell your number.

There is also an investigation going on over the US Postal Service's interesting little "Mail Forwarding Kit". If you notice it comes stuffed with advertisements. Apparently the USPS is sharing your information with these companies, and they are currently being investigated by the Feds over violation of your privacy.

Eternal Vigilence is the best way to keep the creeps off the phone and away from your door.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:44 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delima2000 View Post
Watch out for the welcome wagon phone call. They are not from welcome wagon. They are people that want to test your water and get you to purchase a system from them.
I had this woman come to my home when I first moved in.she comes to your home with a big basket telling you she is the welcome lady from the villages. Before I asked her into my home I asked her if she was from the villages ,she said she was. She is not from the villages. When she started going into her talk I quickly understood where she was coming from and told her to leave . She was trying to push water testing and water installation , and other services . Take your time to do things around your new home, you have the rest of your life to get things done.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Let's do a thread with some advice for newbies, things to do and NOT to do when you first move here.

First I will say not to buy from the door pounders who come to you in the weeks right after you move in. Not because they are all unworthy contractors, but some of them are, and nothing, NOTHING has to be done at once. Take your time and wait for changes to water supply, adding pest treatments, painting driveways or even if you will add downspouts to the back of your home. Wait to see who your neighbors use for lawn maintainance.

Please jump in here and add your comments here everyone.
Great advice, one other thing, I used bright house for my phone service and they advised me to have my number unlisted. I did and I have not received phone calls from people looking to sell me anything.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy steam View Post
Great advice, one other thing, I used bright house for my phone service and they advised me to have my number unlisted. I did and I have not received phone calls from people looking to sell me anything.
We have our land line with an unlisted number. Unfortunately, the number belonged to someone else before it was given to us a year ago. The guy is a deadbeat, and we've been getting calls for a year now from collection agencies looking for him!
Old 03-14-2013, 11:05 AM

All good advice here folks. Thank's......
My wife and I hope to be residents within the next year.
Got a home to sell in Rochester, NY first.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.