Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR&VAF View Post
We close in 12 days, and this thread and forum has been very helpful.
At the closing on our house (just after we had signed all the papers and payments had changed hands), we asked the previous owners who they used for lawn maintenance, pest control, landscaping, etc and received some really good information. It was really helpful, especially since we were going to rent it for a couple years before we could finally move in for good. If you are meeting the sellers face-to-face at the closing, it's a good time to get some good info.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut@play View Post
Scammed Newbie,

New Fernandina Villager. Got a paver contractor name and number from The Village classified. Took our money and never heard from him. He went under Premiere Pavers name Tim Connell - so beware!

Hope others will be more careful who they choose, I know we will from now on.

thanks for the post,
Call 911 and get a police report. They love to go after these scammers.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:42 AM

Yes, check with Seniors vs Crime for most everything. I really got burned on a dentist. There had been numerous complaints about Colony Modern Dentistry but I didn't take the time to research. Unfortunately, I suffered the consequences.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Gold member

Good to know!!
Old 07-22-2013, 07:48 PM

We purchased in May and spent a week in July at our future retirement home. I walked up and down the block, knocked on doors and invited people to our home the next day for snacks and drinks mid afternoon. The neighbors were happy to point out who was around so I did not knock at empty doors. All but one person came. It was a great way to meet lots of people right away. When we needed a plumber later in the week, we had lots of resources. Neighbors lent us their golf carts. They were very nice to my teenage sons. They were very welcoming! My home watch person now knows my neighbors names. When our property is not rented (and we hope it will be rented part of the time) we will be there during school vacations.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:18 AM

thanks all sound helpful. we are new owners and will begin the process of furnishing in sept. we plan on being snownbirds for at least a few years. We are from Buffalo andwould like to change domicile to FLA. and helpful hints?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecork View Post
thanks all sound helpful. we are new owners and will begin the process of furnishing in sept. we plan on being snownbirds for at least a few years. We are from Buffalo andwould like to change domicile to FLA. and helpful hints?
Make sure you don't loose your "release of lien" letter to your paid-off car. Staple it to the car's title. It will save having to go back to the lender (which, in our case, existed no longer) and possibly pony up some dollars to get a copy of it from another entity so you can get your car registered in FL.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:43 PM

My retired husband and I enjoy commuting back and forth to our pre-owned home in The Villages. One suggestion that gave us additional peace of mind came from our Fla. neighbor. He suggested that we have all the locks on the house changed as the previous owners had given out the keys to house cleaners, dog sitters and renters. We called "A-1" lock smiths who came the same day and also recommended a "Charlie Bar" for the patio doors to secure the back when we are away for months. We have found our Villages neighbors to be so kind and helpful, e-mailing if there was a storm and power glitch or who to call for maintence etc. They are like a second family and greet us with hugs and welcome cards when we return. We are still in transition as many others have written about leaving family and dealing with feelings of being selfish. Skype and calls are not the same, but we are learning to find a church home and community wherever we are. Thanks for the great advice and wisdom from others who have pioneered before us.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Send a message via AIM to Diveda

I even had a phone call at 7:50am from one of the water sales people that I was bombarded from.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Default newbies and furniture and documentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Let's do a thread with some advice for newbies, things to do and NOT to do when you first move here.

First I will say not to buy from the door pounders who come to you in the weeks right after you move in. Not because they are all unworthy contractors, but some of them are, and nothing, NOTHING has to be done at once. Take your time and wait for changes to water supply, adding pest treatments, painting driveways or even if you will add downspouts to the back of your home. Wait to see who your neighbors use for lawn maintainance.

Please jump in here and add your comments here everyone.
I did not want my Missouri house in Florida so I agree on the furniture comments - take only the precious pieces and leave the rest behind or sell it all.

The other thing to remember is to bring as much personal documentation as possible - I was married twice and needed to have every marriage certificate including divorce decree for Florida licenses thanks to the Patriot Act - beware and be prepared.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:35 AM

READ your how to drive in the circles and golf course handbooks!

Door to door salespersons are not allowed in The Villages please report them.

Don't think you are allowed to drive drunk even if it is a golf cart.

Read your deed restrictions!!!

Last edited by Dgreenbucks; 08-02-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:43 AM
Sage

Old 08-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Thumbs up Good advice

Old 08-08-2013, 08:41 AM
Gold member
Default Sometimes you get lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhenefeld View Post
All this is really good info for someone who will be moving to TV in late summer or early fall. I have a question. How much time do I need to spend there when looking to buy a house? We would like to rent a house in July or Aug. but don't know if we need a whole month or just a couple of weeks. Any sugguestions?
Contrary to some advice, we came down to TV just to "look" and found the perfect home with all the extras we were looking for, including a pool!. We had an offer accepted before we flew back north on Sunday. I'm sure this is not the typical senerio, but are thrilled and close the 1st week of Sept and will be moving just after the holidays. Can't wait!
Old 08-18-2013, 07:50 PM

Just want to let the villagers in the south that just because a gas golf cart is "recommended" we have an electric Star golf cart & it goes at least 30 or 40 miles on a charge. We regularly go from Gilchrist to Spanish Springs or Walmart with no problem. Their customer service is fabulous...we lost keys and they deliver them to us no problem. So if you want electric, don't be afraid. Go Star!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.