Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:25 PM

I will move into my home in Poinciana in ten days! Can't wait!!! Although I am not there yet, I can give a bit of advice on Homeowners Insurance. SHOP AROUND! I got lots of quotes. I know a lot of people go through TV insurance, but I certainly did not get the best quote from them. But, again... shop around and ask lots of questions! In my humble opinion, it is very important to make sure you are insured with an "A" rated AMBEST company. If you need more information on AMBEST ratings, private message me. An AMBEST "A" rated company will have the financial backing to cover a large catastrophe (such as a hurricane).

Second suggestion... keep notes about all of the great references you find here on TOTV! I have an entire computer file of landscapers, repairmen, warranties, tv installation, golf cart info, etc. Your recommendations have been a HUGE resource to this newbie!

THANK YOU ALL... especially Gracie for starting this thread!
Old 11-04-2013, 11:42 PM
Default How do I dispose of packing materials?

We will be furnishing a home in TV in the next two weeks and am wondering how to dispose of the big cardboard appliance boxes and all the other packing materials/boxes that will be generated from household goods? Is there a recycling center where I can dispose of these items? What would you recommend...Thanks.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:46 AM

All great advice. We bought a pre-owned home so our neighbors were a wealth of information on who to use and who not to use. Happy to share our plumber - Mike Scott Plumbing (fabulous customer service). We use the Villages Health Care System for our primary care doctors and have been impressed with the level of care. We left all our furniture up north. We bought a good mattress and then started haunting the consignment shops for the rest of our furniture. We bought both our golf carts through the Villages Golf Cart Store - great customer service again. And, I have always found great advice right here on TOTV. When in doubt - ask here and you will get a great variety of opinions and advice...
Old 11-05-2013, 07:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgalb01 View Post
We will be furnishing a home in TV in the next two weeks and am wondering how to dispose of the big cardboard appliance boxes and all the other packing materials/boxes that will be generated from household goods? Is there a recycling center where I can dispose of these items? What would you recommend...Thanks.
We just put all our boxes out with the trash! They were kind enough to pick them all up. Some we broke down, but most we just put inside of each other with all the wrapping paper also inside.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:48 AM

Who are you using for lawncare?
Old 11-11-2013, 05:11 PM

Great advice from Gracie Girl regarding lawn care to see who your neighbors use. A few years ago, we met a gentleman who was doing lawns, he was fair and kept our place up while we were gone. He ended up selling his business to KDR Lawn Mowing & Landscape Maintenance (352 205 6237) We are quite pleased with the work that he does and he, also, seems to be quite fair.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:29 AM

Has anyone tried a sign on their front door that says, "No Solicitors"?
Old 11-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

Don't ever prepay for any services rendered and always get references.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:28 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to JaniceOhio
Default Do I need my own inspector for a new home?

Question... I am closing on a model in January. Do I need to bring my own independent inspector with me? People have noted that I have no representation... Price is right. Loan is right...and with the home warranty .. does anyone ever hire an independent? Inspection is morning of closing.

Grateful for any response..
Old 11-27-2013, 11:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaniceOhio View Post
Question... I am closing on a model in January. Do I need to bring my own independent inspector with me? People have noted that I have no representation... Price is right. Loan is right...and with the home warranty .. does anyone ever hire an independent? Inspection is morning of closing.

Call Frank at 352-250-7818 or e-mail him at Frank@dangeloinspections.com
Old 11-28-2013, 05:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaniceOhio View Post

I personally haven't heard of many here who have had outside inspectors for new homes before closing. I don't feel the need. We bought two new homes here and felt the warranty covered anything that came up and not much did. We had a private inspector near the end of the first year when warranty was going to end on most items and frankly, I don't know if I would do it again. It mostly was pages and pages of so many truly tiny things that I had to look hard to see.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:23 PM

They always claim they have been trying to contact you...but no record of your phone number when you ask what number they were calling. SCAMS...the public water supply seems to be good.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
Do not pay for any service in advance. There may be a few exceptions to this "rule" but until you are really settled in and know who's who it is best not to make payments in advance.
Agree except I don't think there are any exceptions to this rule! I always check on TOTV before hiring a contractor. There's a lot of good information from fellow posters on who was great and why and who do stay away from!
Old 12-05-2013, 08:31 PM

I had a home inspector when I closed.
i used House Masters
352-243-4553 . The reason I had an inspection was because I was out of town and I intended to rip the place apart ( new floors, new countertops, new appliances, new backsplash) shortly after I settled. I did not want finger pointing between vendor and the builder so
i felt it was a good idea to have a documented baseline at settlement. If you plan major renovations as I did I think an inspector is a good idea.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:35 AM
Default I agree with Graciegirl

As it pertains to NEW homes, and having personal knowledge of particular industries in the area, somehow some of them are getting the 'closing schedule.' Therefore, they know when your closing date is and what time it is. They are familiar with how long the new home orientation lasts and how soon after that the official closing takes place. Then they wait down the street and watch you return to your new home excited and ready to start enjoying The Villages' lifestyle. It's not ironic you get the door knockers shortly after you start unloading your vehicle.

Also, they drive the neighborhoods waiting to pounce as you're in your yard. Keep in mind, because The Villages builds so many homes per year, these guys/gals have lots of practice in their sales pitch.

What I would recommend doing is driving areas which have RECENTLY been completed and finding landscaping, driveway decoration, etc. that you like and YOU knocking the door. Trust me, Villagers (for the most part) will welcome you in so they can show off what they have. Then ask them who they used and what kind of experience they had. This is a good way to identify which companies are reliable and dependable.

I hope this helps.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.