Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:56 AM
Default Roommates needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
As billiethekid said, think about buying new furniture here instead of paying so much to ship tired, outdated furniture.

The consignment shops here are full of things that are in good shape but extremely dated, and much of it cost the owner a bundle to ship it here and then it did not fit or did not do justice to a sparkling, fresh new or pre-owned home here.
"If anyone finds this, I love you Remember that song? That's what this feels like...New furniture is only one thing that is needed... I want to move here so I am looking for roommates to share expenses. Is there a place to post to look for roommates?
Old 12-18-2014, 02:24 PM

We are newbies and I will say to not believe everything even on TOTV! I hired a 'well-known landscaping company' who stated to be very 'stellar' and was not a professional job at all. I have a couple of dead plants that I am replacing today, the stated they would trim and they did not, they were suppose to trim a couple of branches off the roof ~ they trimmed ONE branch on the opposite side of the tree...they left a lot of roots exposed from the plants they pulled out ~ just be very careful and get everything in writing before they start and before you give them any money.
After 3 months, we still haven't had any door knockers and hoping it stays that way! :-)
I think the most important thing to do is your HOMEWORK!!! Don't trust the ads on any websites. I'm staring at one to my left as I'm typing that was a major fiasco. All is good and the most important thing is that I absolutely love the Villages!
Old 01-07-2015, 08:07 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe

After moving in, I put up a NO SOLICTING note on the front door and everyone selling things left me alone
Old 01-07-2015, 09:18 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

Don't pay up front to any service people unless you know them or are referred by someone you know.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:18 PM
Default Roommates?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Let's do a thread with some advice for newbies, things to do and NOT to do when you first move here.

First I will say not to buy from the door pounders who come to you in the weeks right after you move in. Not because they are all unworthy contractors, but some of them are, and nothing, NOTHING has to be done at once. Take your time and wait for changes to water supply, adding pest treatments, painting driveways or even if you will add downspouts to the back of your home. Wait to see who your neighbors use for lawn maintainance.

Please jump in here and add your comments here everyone.

Gracie, You seem to be "a gal about town"!
I am moving to TV in April and need 1 possibly 2 roommates.
How does one go about finding possible roommates?
Old 01-18-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
I'm surprised so many people have land lines. I wouldn't know what to do with a land line. I kept the same cell number I've had for 20+ years and don't give it out to anyone but family
how do you not give your cell number non-family like medical, insurance, tax guy, financial, bank, pizza order, etc and so forth? This TV wannabe is Very interested to learn your secret.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleeh View Post
how do you not give your cell number non-family like medical, insurance, tax guy, financial, bank, pizza order, etc and so forth? This TV wannabe is Very interested to learn your secret.
Not only that, no matter where we have lived or visited, the sound quality on the land line far exceeds that of our cells.

Our land line is a Magic Jac. I much prefer it, and we don't get any scam or solicitation calls on it, as opposed to on our cells, where we do get a few despite being on the do-not-call list. Very few people have that number, and I actually give out my cell for the people you mentioned.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I now have a burner phone to use while in TV.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:20 PM
Veteran member

Hello and welcome!

I'd like you to know that this is not Shangri-La. There are people here who break traffic laws. Gasp! They drink and drive. They run red lights and may not understand or care about learning how to navigate the roundabouts. Some may not pick up after their dogs. They don't shower before using the pools. It's possible you could be given the finger, or jostled in a grocery store aisle. Passers-by can make unkind comments about the decorations on your lanai. Some of us are entitled, smug, rude, stingy, or close-minded. Your neighbors may not wish to socialize with you.

Therefore? The Villages is just like every other town in the world, with citizens of varying temperaments and outlooks. A lot of residents believe there is a much smaller percentage of meanies inside the bubble, but I haven't personally conducted the research.

Human nature exists in The Villages and you should by all means adjust your expectations accordingly. I only mention this because it seems as though a handful of arrivals continue to be dismayed/surprised/shocked/hurt/appalled about it.

Last edited by queasy27; 03-16-2015 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:20 PM

We are new and getting many door knockers. Any used KCCI for general contracting?
Old 02-24-2015, 10:58 AM

where are the consignment shops for furniture located ?
Old 02-25-2015, 03:17 PM
Default water testing and purgatory

We had a water filtration man come in (with promise of a $25. dinner card that never received if he could test the quality of our water ) who used bible quotes to try to sell the system. After saying we couldn't afford the original quote for system, he just happened to have the same system for half the price, since the box was opened for a trade show. We again declined, saying we weren't financially ready. He proceeded to tell us that we were wrecking our health by drinking unpure water and that according to the bible, we would suffer damnation and purgatory for doing so. We politely told him we would just have to take our chances. He left really ticked off.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea42 View Post
We had a water filtration man come in (with promise of a $25. dinner card that never received if he could test the quality of our water ) who used bible quotes to try to sell the system. After saying we couldn't afford the original quote for system, he just happened to have the same system for half the price, since the box was opened for a trade show. We again declined, saying we weren't financially ready. He proceeded to tell us that we were wrecking our health by drinking unpure water and that according to the bible, we would suffer damnation and purgatory for doing so. We politely told him we would just have to take our chances. He left really ticked off.
I presume you have not seen any fire and brimstone yet either?
Old 02-25-2015, 04:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler View Post
We are new and getting many door knockers. Any used KCCI for general contracting?
Don't use anyone who comes knocking on your door. And if you think you might like to try a company, call Seniors vs Crime to check the company out.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:31 AM
Default So True

Thanks for this thread! We are taking our time making choices, but have had many people pounding on our door. There is a woman who essentially poses as a welcome wagon pushing a free dinner at one of the country clubs, who works for Pegasus Water Systems. The one who wins for being the most aggressive has been Service Smart, beginning the day I was waiting for the moving truck. They came 6 times in 8 days. I called Community Standards and complained, without much satisfaction. I was told there isn't much they can do about it, since the roads are public. I guess I have to get a "No Solicitation" sign for my front door.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.