Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/helpful-advice-warnings-brand-new-villagers-72476/)

Bill-n-Brillo 03-14-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dafoe (Post 642105)
What is a water systems person? Is this like putting in a water softener that we use up north due to hard water??

Yep, someone trying to sell you a water softener.

Bill :)

TVMayor 03-14-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by applesoffh (Post 642067)
We have our land line with an unlisted number. Unfortunately, the number belonged to someone else before it was given to us a year ago. The guy is a deadbeat, and we've been getting calls for a year now from collection agencies looking for him!

I wanted to try Magic Jack, as insurance I purchased it from Walmart so I could return it with to hassle if required. It was required, the number previously belonged to a Taxi Co. and to change it I would have to pay a fee. NO Most calls came after the bars closed.

MSG@TV 03-14-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 641598)
Let's do a thread with some advice for newbies, things to do and NOT to do when you first move here.

First I will say not to buy from the door pounders who come to you in the weeks right after you move in. Not because they are all unworthy contractors, but some of them are, and nothing, NOTHING has to be done at once. Take your time and wait for changes to water supply, adding pest treatments, painting driveways or even if you will add downspouts to the back of your home. Wait to see who your neighbors use for lawn maintainance.

Please jump in here and add your comments here everyone.

Thank you, thank you to Graciegirl who started this post and all others who offered such helpful advice. We will be newbies this summer, and this is the kind of information that we will benefit from when we get there. Thanks again everyone!!!!

Cantwaittoarrive 03-14-2013 01:20 PM

I'm surprised so many people have land lines. I wouldn't know what to do with a land line. I kept the same cell number I've had for 20+ years and don't give it out to anyone but family

jhenefeld 03-14-2013 01:26 PM

All this is really good info for someone who will be moving to TV in late summer or early fall. I have a question. How much time do I need to spend there when looking to buy a house? We would like to rent a house in July or Aug. but don't know if we need a whole month or just a couple of weeks. Any sugguestions?

graciegirl 03-14-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhenefeld (Post 642154)
All this is really good info for someone who will be moving to TV in late summer or early fall. I have a question. How much time do I need to spend there when looking to buy a house? We would like to rent a house in July or Aug. but don't know if we need a whole month or just a couple of weeks. Any sugguestions?

You should be preparing now as many of us have done, by trying to familiarize your self with all of the series of homes and areas and try to zero in on two or three models you like best. Try to decide if you want a resale or new and the approximate age of the resale if you want a resale. I had a spread sheet and a book full of plans. We came down just to see what we would like when the time came to buy. We were certainly not going to buy on our life style visit. We have always been very carefully planned about any large purchase. We were ready to ignore any zealous sales people.

We didn't have any pushy sales people from The Villages.

We went home after buying a new house that was not on our list of favorite models.

We loved that house for four years and last year sold it and built another home here.

So...the answer is...who knows?

I wish you well. We have never been happier.

rjm1cc 03-14-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhenefeld (Post 642154)

A big mistake would be to rush the buying decision. Rent as long as you can and look at a number of options of where to live. Don't buy on your first visit. The life style is what you are buying.

justjim 03-14-2013 05:08 PM

First, the biggest mistake you might make is waiting for the "just the right time" to purchase a lot and home in TV----if a "new home" is your passion and dream. Prices are quickly heading up and when lots/houses are released they go quickly. Resales too are heading north IMHO. It very well could cost you to procrastinate.
Second, and just as important, remember you are buying a lifestyle not just a home. For many the home is really secondary to the lifestyle we found in TV.

MR&VAF 03-14-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSG@TV (Post 642119)
Thank you, thank you to Graciegirl who started this post and all others who offered such helpful advice. We will be newbies this summer, and this is the kind of information that we will benefit from when we get there. Thanks again everyone!!!!

:agree: We close in 12 days, and this thread and forum has been very helpful.

NotGolfer 03-14-2013 06:03 PM

Ask a lot of questions with your agent re: anything you can think of re: living here.

When driving do NOT stop in the diamond paths to take or make a phone call or to check your map! Either pull into a post-office parking lot or take a side street. Saw this done on Morse Blvd today with ALL the traffic buzzing by.

Do NOT stop in a round-about "if" you're confused or lost....keep going!!! Also on this subject read about proper r.a.b. etiquette (how you navigate them here).

Use your signal lights whenever turning, Yield at the yield signs AND stop at the stop signs! Have seen too many near misses!!!

gingersnap 03-14-2013 11:19 PM

TOTV educated us so much prior to our move to TV last fall. I would encourage you to research TOTV for any questions you may have. I found my beautician, nail tech, landscaper and many other services right here thanks to all the nice folks who take time to answer the forum questions. Thanks all!

asianthree 03-15-2013 08:04 AM

we bought the first house because thats what fit in our budget, the second house because it fit in our budget, when we are full time i am sure it will be the home we love not due to our budget:$:

kgentile1010 03-15-2013 09:19 AM

Ya, that lady came to my house too. I said I was busy, but would take the basket and look through it. She said 'oh no, I have to help you review the information'. Don't let her in the house. Just say 'not interested, thank you'

cquick 03-15-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 641598)
Let's do a thread with some advice for newbies, things to do and NOT to do when you first move here.

First I will say not to buy from the door pounders who come to you in the weeks right after you move in. Not because they are all unworthy contractors, but some of them are, and nothing, NOTHING has to be done at once. Take your time and wait for changes to water supply, adding pest treatments, painting driveways or even if you will add downspouts to the back of your home. Wait to see who your neighbors use for lawn maintainance.

Please jump in here and add your comments here everyone.

I agree with this first post! Give yourself a little time before deciding on "stuff to do".

graciegirl 03-15-2013 09:59 AM

Don't panic about rumors.

Do NOT believe rumors. We do rumors as well as a hundred thousand people with time on their hands can do. We excel at them. We jump, leap and catapault to conclusions and we are excellent at theories of all kinds.

If you want to know the truth, call Janet Tutts office, or the Daily Sun or send a PM to Village07. I have NEVER known her to post any incorrect information.