Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

When we bought I specifically asked he agent to show me what was newer (S of 466) compared to pre owed (N of 466). The differences were for the most part immediate.

In our case, Location to Lake Sumter Landing was a big thing, plus the houses had more modern upgrades such as Roman Showers, choice of appliances, hard surface/granite counter tops etc. Houses were simply newer and more modern. Choice selection of lots whether it be golf course cul-de sac or whatever seemer more prevelant in the south. The developer started to really plan out The Villages South of 466 with 2 -4 lane roads going North and South. Golf cart paths on main roads were separated from cars and even on feeder roads they were wider than up north NO way did we want to be driving our golf cart every day on Morse Blvd North of 466 so that area was out regardless of price. For us at least, South of 466 was just more central to everything....still holds true today!
Old 02-22-2014, 11:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneumann02 View Post
Opinions on buying new versus pre-owned are solicited.
We think that buyers get way more "bang for their buck" when buying pre-owned, especially if the lower bonds are taken into consideration. There are many pre-owned homes with considerable expensive upgrades: birdcages, pools, summer kitchens, sun tunnels, landscaping, etc.

We wanted a lot backing on a pond. The new homes seems to have huge premiums associated with these lots. We also wanted to be located centrally, just south of CR 466, rather than far north, or far south. I like renovating and redecorating, so resale was perfect for us.

For emotional reasons, many people want to buy a brand-new home. Money is not the most important factor. Many purchasers feel that it will be the last home they ever own. They want it to be pristine and special. I can understand that; it's an important consideration. They don't want the hassle of renovating or redecorating - and prefer to move into an "unspoiled" home.

In general the further south you go, the younger the population. Although lots of younger retirees also buy resales. So each village ends up having a mix of newbies and oldies.

Whatever decision you make, you'll probably end up thinking your village is the best village. We all do. The Villages is a happy place.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:03 PM
Default Golf Cart Parking

The rules for parking your golf cart at the squares on the street in the lined spots is the same if you had a car. Do Not Park past the line if a car is in that spot. I have seen it so many times, and wonder how that car owner was able to get out of their spot, but even more so-wondering how the cart driver could be so inconsiderate. Wish some of the areas were designated for cars only. There has been a lot of discussion about having carts licensed, and here is another reason why.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
We think that buyers get way more "bang for their buck" when buying pre-owned, especially if the lower bonds are taken into consideration. There are many pre-owned homes with considerable expensive upgrades: birdcages, pools, summer kitchens, sun tunnels, landscaping, etc.

We wanted a lot backing on a pond. The new homes seems to have huge premiums associated with these lots. We also wanted to be located centrally, just south of CR 466, rather than far north, or far south. I like renovating and redecorating, so resale was perfect for us.

For emotional reasons, many people want to buy a brand-new home. Money is not the most important factor. Many purchasers feel that it will be the last home they ever own. They want it to be pristine and special. I can understand that; it's an important consideration. They don't want the hassle of renovating or redecorating - and prefer to move into an "unspoiled" home.

In general the further south you go, the younger the population. Although lots of younger retirees also buy resales. So each village ends up having a mix of newbies and oldies.

Whatever decision you make, you'll probably end up thinking your village is the best village. We all do. The Villages is a happy place.
Spot on!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-14-2014, 06:58 PM
Sage

To all:

I would like you to cosider parking your golf carts at the later half of the parking spot, and taking only half of it.

I've been in parking lots where golf carts are pulled all the way in a space and cars are thinking the space is empty. If a driver tries to whip it in there, surprise, surprise!!!!

BOY Howdy!!! Were talking about carts!!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-05-2014, 02:15 PM

I have had a bad experience with a lady named "Judy" who comes to your home to provide exercise supervision, that's what her "company" does... What a rip -off! She talks about her clients from one to the next and has her phone during your session. Very unpleasant experience. She's very expensive and offers no refunds for her unused time as well as other really odd rules... BUYER BEWARE! Go to the gym at the rec center of MVP, this person is not reputable in my book.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:15 PM

thank you for the tip about the welcome wagon - brand new here and it just happened to me!
Old 04-23-2014, 07:16 PM

There can be a false sense of urgency and patience in buying anything is the key. We had removed a tree (OK'd by VCDD) as a sense of urgency and lived to regret it. We planted another tree...that's a different story... Take your time with your decisions and purchases and always remember, it's your money and nobody watches your money as you do. We advise that when you go out and purchase something, do not get side tracked as 'tunnel vision' is a good thing in those cases.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:38 PM
Veteran member

Before buying a golf cart (new) be sure you have the warranty you are being told you have. Yamaha says they build golf carts to go 15 miles per hour. The companies that sell Yamaha (Carts and Clubs in Ocala) and The Villages golf carts are authorized dealers. They buy the carts from Yamaha and then modify them with high speed gears and larger tires to go 20 MPH. Yamaha says this voids their warranty and they will not cover certain parts if they fail such as the clutch and belts. You will not be notified of this by the dealer when buying the cart. You are led to believe the cart that you see on the floor comes directly from Yamaha with all the options already on the cart and it is made to go 20 MPH. That is not the case. It has been modified and in most cases with after market parts.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:06 PM

WOW...I MUST BE BLESSED...MOVED HERE LAST JUNE...NEVER HAD A DOOR SALESPERSON HERE AT ALL...... lucky hu???? love the villages and the people....
Old 07-09-2014, 05:49 PM

I live in Tulsa and would like to live in TV 6 mths out of the year. Have my Real Estate Licenses and would like to help people sale their home here, meet them in TV help same people find a home there. Anyone else doing this?
Old 07-09-2014, 05:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Let's do a thread with some advice for newbies, things to do and NOT to do when you first move here.

First I will say not to buy from the door pounders who come to you in the weeks right after you move in. Not because they are all unworthy contractors, but some of them are, and nothing, NOTHING has to be done at once. Take your time and wait for changes to water supply, adding pest treatments, painting driveways or even if you will add downspouts to the back of your home. Wait to see who your neighbors use for lawn maintainance.

Please jump in here and add your comments here everyone.
Excellent advice! Thanks for starting this. Many of us "oldies" have learned some things the hard way.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 07-24-2014, 10:06 AM

Be careful about furniture store in the villages (city furniture). Waited three days, all day long for a knob that broke the first time I tried to open a cabinet door. They never showed up after promising each time they would deliver the part. Chair leg almost fell off, loose screws, fixed myself. Three weeks and still no new knob and no calls from them. Poor quality furniture and just about no customer service. Even spoke to manager, still no help. Be careful where you shop, even in the villages.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:14 PM
Location: Born and raised NYC raised the family on Long island, Now living the life

Little confused ( nothing new for me ) I was under the impression that the residential areas were gated. How do these sales people and ripoff artists keep getting in?
Old 07-26-2014, 04:10 PM
Veteran member

TV is a community with gates, not a gated community.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.