Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:36 AM
Sage
Default Biggest Rip Off In The Villages

After viewing several posts about Tire Choice-Total Car Care,
It is my belief they are the biggest rip-off in the Villages

Charging a customer $2450.00 for changing fluids, an oil change & a wheel alignment , is beyond all belief.

Put the wrong size tires on a performance car is dangerous.

Word to the wise avoid all 3 locations in There Villages
Old 09-13-2014, 07:31 AM

NEWBIES:...GENERAL RULE OF THUMB.....Massey will "pound" on your door and aggressively try to get you to use their pest control, etc services....especially if your neighbors are using them.......ALSO!!!...this is a BIG ONE!!....For ANY product you use or are looking to purchase, for example, new A/C, landscaping resdesign, kitchen appliances....SHOP AROUND in Ocala, off Villages property for the MOST competitive prices....We bought our flooring from Lumber Liquidators in Orlando and saved so much $$ the gas was worth the trip....For appliances, try HHGregg in Ocala, Kane's in Ocala for furniture....BEST pricing and BEST warranty comes with their furniture sales!! ENJOY all the free activities the Recreation Centers have to offer!!......AND MOST OF ALL!!....Do a SEARCH on "Talk of the Villages" and the Better Business Bureau to be sure your potential Contractor is reputable and honest!!
Old 09-13-2014, 07:34 AM
Platinum member

Give some serious thought to installing a security system, just for peace of mind.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:14 AM

Can you tell me how to post a new thread on here?
Old 09-13-2014, 10:22 AM

Our home in NE Ohio sold within a couple of days of listing in March 2012 so we had only a month to find a new home in TV, pack up and move. We found our new house online and bought sight unseen and then came down to look at it a week later. So here's my tip to new buyers. Take a floor plan with you to your new home and verify the room dimensions. How wide are the door openings? How long is each wall? Eg, that short section of wall between the door and the corner of the room where you think your favorite piece may fit. Also, mark where all of the outlets, phone and TV connections are located. When we got back up North, I measured all the furniture and stuff we thought we might take. I then handed all this info to the wife and she did her magic with the floor plan and little cutouts of all the stuff. When the moving van arrived in TV everything fit where we planned. Quite an effort, but well worth it. In our case, we sold our living room and family room furniture and bought new here. Our stuff was old and we wanted a new beginning that fit the style here.

I agree whole heartedly with previous posters who say be patient and prioritize what needs to be done; you have plenty of time. We bought new cottage home so our first thing was window treatments. I measured the windows, went to Home Depot, and in one day we had the needed privacy.

And lastly regarding vendors. I don't think we have done business with anyone who came to our door unsolicited. Know what you want, check TOTV and neighbors, do online research, then you contact the vendors and get estimates. Beware of vendors who don't have their business name on their vehicle. Don't buy a great big palm from a guy in a black pickup who says it was left over from the job he did that day and he'll plant it for you for $50 or $100. He'll plant it alright, but the next morning you'll see a hole in your yard where it used to be and he'll be off to his next sucker.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Let's do a thread with some advice for newbies, things to do and NOT to do when you first move here.

First I will say not to buy from the door pounders who come to you in the weeks right after you move in. Not because they are all unworthy contractors, but some of them are, and nothing, NOTHING has to be done at once. Take your time and wait for changes to water supply, adding pest treatments, painting driveways or even if you will add downspouts to the back of your home. Wait to see who your neighbors use for lawn maintainance.

Please jump in here and add your comments here everyone.

The best advice i have is: "STOP" signs are not just a suggestion, it means STOP for golf carts too!
Old 09-13-2014, 11:36 AM
Veteran member

Read your Deed Restrictions on line! All that your salesman won't tell you.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:21 AM
Question Pedicure

I am a newbie and looking for a good, clean, inexpensive place to get a pedicure.

Thank you for your help.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdancer View Post
I am a newbie and looking for a good, clean, inexpensive place to get a pedicure. Thank you for your help.
There is a search button at the top of the page.
If you do a search on pedicures, you'll find lots of good suggestions.
I like Angela's shop in Palm Ridge Plaza, CR 101, north of Bonefish. 352-350-2932.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:14 PM

Is there homeowners in the villages who have a problem with there new installed hardwood floors that are turning black on the top of the wood. This will happen after some 6 to 12 months. The installer will advise that the glue to secure the flooring will act as a sealer (it will not). No one wants to take the blame for this and your home owners insurance does not cover the loss.

So far there are several complaints on this subject , we need to address this problem as the Villages warranty department has washed their hands and claims no responsibility . Let me hear from you. Thanks
Old 09-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Default Company Southern Palms

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about Southern Palms Landscaping company?

Need help sorting thru all these landscapers....

Thank you
Old 09-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

They really don't apply pressure......we rented for 4 years and looked all over this place and were never pressured.....not even a phone call. We purchased this year. The choice to be here is about the lifestyle and not the property so it really doesn't matter where you buy. I guess another reason they don't pressure is because there doesn't seem to be a shortage of people that want to live here.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:01 AM
Smile Advice for singles

I would like some advice for new singles at the Villages. Is there any normal men in here? Gentleman with morals and ethics? I need advice where to go to meet them.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:55 PM

While this place is nothing like living in a major city, we do have people who would rather take what u have than work.. Anyone that's pressures u to buy today or lose the opportunity. Run down t walk away. Prices go up when the snowbirds get here,after Christmas,seems too b the jump in prices. Grass needs cut every 2weeks summer every week. Water is fine a the most water softener helped with hardness,put my own system in under 500. Soon older drivers are doing there best,cut them a break. Aggressive drivers regardless of age should not b tolerated, call the police if u have relevant information, they are pretty good around here. If u have any doubts about anyone in the villages call community watch they will help u or request someone that will,good guys. If u run into someone that isn't happy here avoid them they are the minority. Welcome to the villages.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvlvteyes View Post
I would like some advice for new singles at the Villages. Is there any normal men in here? Gentleman with morals and ethics? I need advice where to go to meet them.
Single Boomers South 2ndW@6:30PM
Eisenhower
Geri Manus 582 Burnside Place (352) 633-2348

Single Golfers LastTH @6PM SeaBreeze Robert (Bob) Miotke 1439
Crestwood Lane
(352) 396-0654

Single Sports Social Women 3rdW @7PM
Canal
Joan Bulmer 8513 S E 177th
Bartram Loop
(352) 751-3748

Singles Baby Boomers 1stTH @6:30PM
SeaBreeze
Marie Nappi 1443 Duncan Drive (352) 350-6182

Singles Ballroom Dance Club 1,3,5 F@2
pm Odell
Joyce Brinson 524 Rainbow Blvd (352) 561-4984

Singles Dance Club 2&4thF@2PM La
Hacienda
Joyce Brinson 524 Rainbow Blvd (352) 561-4984

Singles Discussion Group 2ndF @3:30PM
SeaBreeze
Cyndi Feeney 1773 Hallandale
Lane
(352) 753-0182

Singles Hiking & More q1st SU@6PM
Allamanda
Lawrence Cohen 1235 Eagle Ridge
Dr
(352) 259-5109

Singles Lets Talk 1stSU X6-9 @1PM
Mulberry
Vera Coulson 2813 Larranaga Dr (352) 259-3707

Singles Sumter 2nd&4thSUN@2:30PM
Lake Miona
Gene McConville 2409 Pomeroy
Terr
(352) 753-2669

Singles Villages 1st&3rdM@6PM La
Hacienda
Robert Palmer 16868 Se 94th
Sunnybrook Circle
(352) 753-0690

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.