Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:49 PM

Thanks for all the good information. We will be coming to TV as soon as our home sells. We were bringing our furniture but now may not. While looking for a home in TV we will also walk the neighborhood hoping to meet some people who can answer our questions about the district we are looking at. Keep up the good work in sharing.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:56 PM

Speaking of the Welcome Wagon Water Sales folks - has anyone bought from them?
Your experience please?
Old 10-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Default My Golf Car Experiences

We have lived in The Villages for four years and currently own three golf cars including a 2014 Yamaha. a 2014 E-Z-GO, and a 2011 Star (all electrics). We also previously owned a 2012 Yamaha gas.

Gas vs. Electric:
There is no emotional right or wrong here and don't listen to the golf car salesman. The key questions are where do you live and what is the farthest you expect to drive your golf car in a day. If you live at the extreme North or South end of The Villages, and regularly travel to the opposite end, I would definitely own gas. It will make your life less worrisome. If you live nearer to the North-South center, as we do, the options are much more complicated.

Gas car comments:
You will have extreme useable range-easily 200 miles on a tank of gas. Figure on 40-45 miles per gallon. They are somewhat noisy, especially with all of the enclosures down in the winter. You will need one annual maintenance visit for an oil change and miscellaneous maintenance. If you want to add a heater, you will be limited to propane as the only really functional choice.
As to smell, I did not find my gas car to be a problem as most of the fumes are from others and are mainly in the tunnels.
I personally believe Yamaha builds the best gas car by far. Good performance and ride.

Electric car comments:
The quiet is really nice, but battery configuration really matters here. If you buy a car with 4 12 volt or 6 8 volt batteries, don't expect a lot more than 20-25 miles on 50% of your charge. If you regularly discharge the batteries any more, you shorten the life (an occasional longer trip does not matter). If you want to go 30-40 miles on a 50% discharge, I would opt for 8 6 volt batteries or buy 6 8 volts and plan on spending $1,000 to install 6 Trojan Ranger 160's as I did.
AC drive is superior to DC. Currently, E-Z-GO has AC with Yamaha introducing it in December. It is an option on ParCar. AC has far superior acceleration and better efficiency and you will actually be able to accelerate quickly going up a grade.
I feel the costs to own an electric or gas car are quite comparable (excluding depreciation), but you will pay it differently. The gas car cost is more of a straight line, while the monthly electric cost is cheaper, until you have to replace the batteries, the charger, or both. Depreciation is definitely higher on an electric car.

General recommendations:
Pay for an upgraded seat. You will spend a lot of time in your car and the standard seats are truly awful. An upgraded seat will be more comfortable and, with Sunbrella inserts, will be cooler. If one of you is shorter, an adjustable seat may be needed.
Consider a speedometer. It's fun to see how far you travel and know your speed. You will need a good gas gauge if you buy gas, or a good voltmeter if you buy electric. A 12 volt socket is a nice option. Add a fan, if you will golf in the warm months. I also think added LED lights are a fun option and will improve visibility (especially for the front turn signals). Finally, if you want to store a few things out of sight, add locking glove boxes and a cooler. Install seat belts and use them Most injuries are due to ejection of the occupants.
I would suggest avoiding large wheels with low profile tires. They will detract from a smooth ride.
Buy cart insurance with uninsured motorists coverage added. You would be surprised how many golf cars have NO liability insurance.
Stick with one of the big four brands-Yamaha, E-Z-GO, ClubCar, or ParCar. Our Star has been just fine, but we still have it because it just isn't worth much anymore. It has four person capacity when the grandchildren visit.
Drive them all to see what fits your price range and comfort level.

While the above are all my own opinions, I hope they will be helpful to the first time golf car buyer.

Last edited by DAN48; 10-09-2014 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 10-15-2014, 05:36 PM

I received a post card "Water Alert, sorry we couldn't reach you by phone (no messages!) Please call us within 48 hours V.F.W." Is this legit? A gentleman at my mailbox said it may be a sales... Has anyone received anything like this before ?
Old 10-15-2014, 07:48 PM

I believe the "water alert" is an attempt to sell you a water softener system.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
Bless you for starting this thread. So much to remember/consider. Instinct is to make your nest as soon as possible....but I know we should slow down and take time to assess our new surroundings. Anxious to hear more suggestions.
Village’s buyer beware.

We have lived in The Villages for 3 years and truly love it. But we have known of two cases so far where the owners of a property had terrible lawns, and have tried to work with the original builders to correct their problems with the yard, to be told that the warranty for the grass is only 30 days.

So any future buyer should make sure that if you grass does not look good you should upon your inspection and or prior to buying said property put in a complaint. I would even suggest that you put this in writing so you have verification of your timely complaint.

I would hope that if this is the policy in T V that the realtors are told to explain this to potential buyers, we have been to two closing and no one told us about this condition.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrman77 View Post
Village’s buyer beware.

We have lived in The Villages for 3 years and truly love it. But we have known of two cases so far where the owners of a property had terrible lawns, and have tried to work with the original builders to correct their problems with the yard, to be told that the warranty for the grass is only 30 days.

So any future buyer should make sure that if you grass does not look good you should upon your inspection and or prior to buying said property put in a complaint. I would even suggest that you put this in writing so you have verification of your timely complaint.

I would hope that if this is the policy in T V that the realtors are told to explain this to potential buyers, we have been to two closing and no one told us about this condition.

Well, been here for a while and I think that the answer to new sod is WATER.

You are allowed to water more in establishing new lawns and new shrubs without penalty.

We have had two new homes the last just turned three years, and two decent lawns, but others have underwatered and their lawns showed the lack of it.

It is also the responsibility of the homeowner to fertilize and to debug. The sod. It is layed on a mostly sandy base and needs to be fed and cared for.

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-25-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Veteran member

This is probably easy to remember, If someone approaches you to sell or make an offer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, be careful it is very likely to be a scam.
Why else would they approach you if they did not want something from you?
Also, on most everything,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, get a price in writing and do not back down on a written guarantee relating to service!
Old 11-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Default Beware tire choice at colony!!!

My grandson who lives in Tampa visited this week-end and we discovered that he had a leak in one of his tire. I have had 4 leaks repaired in my own tires in the 8 years I have been living in TV and have not paid for a single one. The repairs have been thru Sams, Tire Kingdom, an auto dealer and Walmart. I assumed there would be no charge from Tire Choice at Colony especially since he ordered an oil change as well. I assumed wrong! When we went to pick-up the car they charged him $30 plus tax! His total bill was $71.18! BEWARE of this company and warn your friends and neighbors as well!!!
Old 11-17-2014, 02:50 PM

REMEMBER THIS....Florida State Law.

When you use your Windshield WIPERS....
............................You MUST turn on your HEADLIGHTS.

OR..think this way
..When it is RAINING...You Must TURN ON HEADLIGHTS.
...when you are stopped or driving on a Public Road.

Can Not believe how many people who do not know this Law.
Most dangerous when the vehicle blends in with color of roadway.

In My Humble Opinion.....
ALL Grey Vehicles should ALWAYS run with lights on Rain or no rain.

Too many "borderline legally-blind" people are driving around The Villages.
Just saw MR MAGOO with his Coke Bottle Glasses pull out in Front of a BIG truck on CR-466.
BIG AZZ white truck and the truck had his headlights on.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Get a golf cart as soon as possible and drive around going nowhere. Get lost a few times and find your way home.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:12 AM

Just to add...I am getting so many calls to " Clean my air ducts and do maintenance checks on my furnace and AC ". I now simply reply "When I need this work done, I will contact who I want. As for you, bothering me and making me run in from my lanai, I am placing you on my DO NOT CALL LIST! Fight back! We pay for these phones so WE can use them!
Old 11-25-2014, 07:36 AM

We went to closing on November 18th and the "Welcome Wagon" showed on the very next day as well as lawn maintenance people. They appear to be waiting just like vultures! On the other hand, I researched blinds on TOTV and decided to use 48 Hr. Blinds! They were wonderful. They worked with me before closing and had everything arranged so that we had blinds up the day after closing. Their crew was very professional and prompt. We have a Gardenia and they completed the whole house in 17 minutes! The price was very reasonable. We are very pleased with their services.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:23 AM

We bought on our first visit and are very happy. Prices went up significantly after our purchase.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:55 AM

I'm the opposite. I get a Vonage, MagicJack type service for my home phone. I keep the ringer turned off. I'll then configure it to email any voice-mails and then listen to the voice-mails on my smartphone or computer. This is the number I give out to contractors or whenever you have to leave a phone number when filling out forms, applications, etc.

My cell to just the friends and family.

Kinda the same when it comes to my door. If I hear the door bell I wont answer unless I'm expecting someone.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.