Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:27 PM

check with Seniors vs Crime ,Lake,Sumter,or Marion county,give them a name /company of the vendor your thinking about hiring and they'll tell you if there's any complaints on them,Sumter office is open 3 days a week 10-2.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleeh View Post
how do you not give your cell number non-family like medical, insurance, tax guy, financial, bank, pizza order, etc and so forth? This TV wannabe is Very interested to learn your secret.
I don't have a cell phone.
I ask people to communicate with me via email, which I check several times a day.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:00 PM
Platinum member

I have never had a land line. What is it?
Old 03-08-2015, 07:13 PM

Greetings all, we came to TV in January to rent for 3 months and to possibly buy a retirement home here if we found the right one. To make a long story short, we did! We're closing in a couple of weeks but will be heading back north for the Summer in early April. So, we've got only a short time to arrange for the property to be taken care of. Minimally it seems to me we need someone to mow the lawn. Reading TOTV I see folks talking about a lot of other services (such as home watch, pest control, irrigation maintenance and on and on). Worse, it sees there's no one company that can do it all. What do I really need to arrange for before leaving and what can wait until we return in October and can you recommend specific providers? We're going to be located in Winifred. Many thanks for your help.
--
bc
Old 03-10-2015, 07:06 AM

rlcronin: Greetings all, we came to TV in January to rent for 3 months and to possibly buy a retirement home here if we found the right one. To make a long story short, we did! We're closing in a couple of weeks but will be heading back north for the Summer in early April. So, we've got only a short time to arrange for the property to be taken care of. Minimally it seems to me we need someone to mow the lawn. Reading TOTV I see folks talking about a lot of other services (such as home watch, pest control, irrigation maintenance and on and on). Worse, it sees there's no one company that can do it all. What do I really need to arrange for before leaving and what can wait until we return in October and can you recommend specific providers? We're going to be located in Winifred. Many thanks for your help.
--
bc

bc: Check your pvt msgs. Sent you some info.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:08 AM
deestatham

We are moving to TV in September from Maryland and have decided to sell EVERYTHING. Had a moving man come to give us an estimate to move and store the furniture and came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it. Have friends who just moved there 2 years ago and they wish they had done the same thing. Said there are lots of good consignment stores there to purchase what you need. Have also decided to rent a furnished house for a year before deciding to buy. Just seems like the best thing for us.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:06 PM
Default Pest Control vs Termite Service

Hi, I am brand new, closing on a house on Thursday. Won't see what services the seller has in place until then.

I'm getting the idea that pest control and termite control are 2 different things. Is that right? If so, does one company do both or do you need to hire 2 different entities? Thanks! Paula
Old 03-14-2015, 04:20 PM
Sage

This post started 2 years ago, but I guess nothing has changed.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulat585 View Post
Hi, I am brand new, closing on a house on Thursday.
When I was new to TOTV, I didn't know about the Search Button so I like to tell newbies about it.
You can do a search on any subject, and you will find tons of previous threads on the topic.
It's a great asset - I still use it all the time when I need to remember info on a particular subject.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:02 PM

I do not recommend Babette's Furniture in Leesburg.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:30 PM
Default In the same boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcronin View Post
Greetings all, we came to TV in January to rent for 3 months and to possibly buy a retirement home here if we found the right one. To make a long story short, we did! We're closing in a couple of weeks but will be heading back north for the Summer in early April. So, we've got only a short time to arrange for the property to be taken care of. Minimally it seems to me we need someone to mow the lawn. Reading TOTV I see folks talking about a lot of other services (such as home watch, pest control, irrigation maintenance and on and on). Worse, it sees there's no one company that can do it all. What do I really need to arrange for before leaving and what can wait until we return in October and can you recommend specific providers? We're going to be located in Winifred. Many thanks for your help.
--
bc
We also came in January, closed on a new home on 3/19 & find ourselves at a loss to sort through what services we need to put in place before we leave. Would appreciate any advice! Thank you! Paula and John

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 03-22-2015, 06:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothbaygal View Post
Why not?
Old 03-22-2015, 06:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothbaygal View Post
I like Babette's.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulat585 View Post
We also came in January, closed on a new home on 3/19 & find ourselves at a loss to sort through what services we need to put in place before we leave. Would appreciate any advice! Thank you! Paula and John
What about your sales rep?
Old 03-22-2015, 06:55 PM
Gold member

Don't over landscape. A small $5.00 palm can turn out gorgeous with patience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.