Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulat585 View Post
We also came in January, closed on a new home on 3/19 & find ourselves at a loss to sort through what services we need to put in place before we leave. Would appreciate any advice! Thank you! Paula and John

Paula & John: Welcome to TV!! Went thru some of the same stuff you're trying to figure out a few months ago. Got LOTS of good info about services, options and companies to use by searching here on TOTV as others have advised. I've also sent you a PM (Pvt Msg) with some details, so check your Inbox. Good luck!! We're headed down for a week on Tues. and can't wait!! Ciao!
Old 03-22-2015, 09:13 PM
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyNJ View Post
Paula & John: Welcome to TV!! Went thru some of the same stuff you're trying to figure out a few months ago. Got LOTS of good info about services, options and companies to use by searching here on TOTV as others have advised. I've also sent you a PM (Pvt Msg) with some details, so check your Inbox. Good luck!! We're headed down for a week on Tues. and can't wait!! Ciao!
Thank you so much, NavyJ! We got your PM. Will check out your recs. Paula & John

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 03-22-2015, 09:34 PM
Default Glad it helped a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulat585 View Post
Thank you so much, NavyJ! We got your PM. Will check out your recs. Paula & John
Hey - saw you had NE Ohio listed in your signature block on msgs. Where exactly? I grew up in Warren, had relatives in Youngstown/Boardman area and cousin now in Port Huron.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyNJ View Post
Hey - saw you had NE Ohio listed in your signature block on msgs. Where exactly? I grew up in Warren, had relatives in Youngstown/Boardman area and cousin now in Port Huron.
We are from the Akron area. Currently live in Tallmadge, but spent lots of time in Cuyahoga Falls. I had some relatives who lived in Canfield in the 60s, but nobody in Youngstown.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 03-22-2015, 10:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Memorize this. If you need to, write it down and study it every day.

"When approaching a round about, if you intend to take the FIRST EXIT, you MUST use the RIGHT HAND LANE.

If you are going straight though by taking the SECOND EXIT, you may use EITHER LANE. (If you are in the left hand lane, be very careful of people on your right who may not know the next rule.)

If you intend to take the THIRD EXIT, you MUST use the LEFT HAND LANE.

And at all times, especially in a round about, keep your head on a swivel. Be aware of everything and everyone around you.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Memorize this. If you need to, write it down and study it every day.

"When approaching a round about, if you intend to take the FIRST EXIT, you MUST use the RIGHT HAND LANE.

If you are going straight though by taking the SECOND EXIT, you may use EITHER LANE. (If you are in the left hand lane, be very careful of people on your right who may not know the next rule.)

If you intend to take the THIRD EXIT, you MUST use the LEFT HAND LANE.

And at all times, especially in a round about, keep your head on a swivel. Be aware of everything and everyone around you.
Thank you!

Old 03-23-2015, 03:50 PM

Hello, I just joined your site today and until I get used to searching the questions I will be having, I could use some help.
I will be coming to TV in April or May to look for a home. Is it better to use the Villages realtor office or go to local Weichert or etc?
If you could tell me which forums to look up, it would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:04 PM

You should have both a Villages sales agent and a realtor. The Villages has its own listing service, called VLS, and Villages sales agents can show you those houses. The new houses are all VLS. A realtor from a firm like Weichert can show you the MLS houses. Then there are the FSBO houses, and a website called, I believe, VillagesFSBO has some of those.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:14 PM
NancyF

I would say do nothing in terms of upgrades for the first year. You jump into doing things because you're excited and or perhaps of friendly competition with your neighbors (look what the Jones' are doing). You may realize that after a year you do not like your street, or do not like your neighbors or you may want to move. Drive around to other sections and see what people have done to their homes. Get quotes first and sit on them.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:49 PM

Thanks for all the great advice. We're newbies and appreciate the experienced opinions.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:43 PM

Your best investment will be a NO SOLICITING sign to post prominently in your front door window. That stopped the pesky solicitors who lie about who they represent and what they sell. The "Welcome Wagon" lady was really a water treatment saleswoman who wisely did't make her pitch when I spoke about my desire to draw and quarter all the solicitors who were bothering me. One of the "landscapers" was just arrested for grand larceny after he ripped off lots of my neighbors in Dunedin who got a group together to implore the Sheriff's Office to take action. Beware of new construction in your neighborhood. The Villages Management does give a damn about all the flat tires on cars and golf carts that result from aluminum screws and nails left in public roads by building contractors. Not to mention dust and dirt and lots of noise.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:26 AM

I use cart world for my electric cart. It has a aluminum frame and is rated the best electric cart, and most reliable by golf courses.

Cart World will come to your house, pick up your cart and bring it back at no charge!
They are very reasonably priced.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:13 PM

Beware of some of the larger cart dealers and the brand of seats you buy.
I found out the hard way the warranty does not always mean what they say
Old 06-23-2015, 09:27 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

Don't prepay for any services unless you get an excellent reference!
Old 06-23-2015, 10:10 AM
Default Street legal or modified?

We are new and have bought our sellers' 4-person electric golf cart which is street legal. We are not sure we want to remain street legal, though we may need to in order to haul 4. Any advice/suggestions?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.