Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnmurph View Post
Beware of some of the larger cart dealers and the brand of seats you buy.
I found out the hard way the warranty does not always mean what they say
Your post raises several questions:

1. What do larger cart dealers do that is unaccptable to you that smaller cart dealers do not do?

2. Did you have a problem(s) with a specific brand of seats and what was the problem(s)?

3. What did you find out was not covered by the warranty that you expected to be covered?

Looking forward to hearing your answers since they could be useful to many future and current Villagers.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:53 PM
Default Your answer

Here is the answer to your question. The conversion is simple and inexpensive. The 4 seat issue has nothing to do with street legal. The "catch" in the law says the title holder must apply for the conversion to "NOT STREET LEGAL". Go to the County Motor Vehicle office in Pinellas, the lady there is very helpful and will guide you thru the process.

LSV Conversion to Golf Cart is painless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opmoochler View Post
We are new and have bought our sellers' 4-person electric golf cart which is street legal. We are not sure we want to remain street legal, though we may need to in order to haul 4. Any advice/suggestions?
Old 06-23-2015, 02:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandnancy1112 View Post
Don't prepay for any services unless you get an excellent reference!
Even then I would not prepay any significant amount.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:09 PM

I may be interested in moving to the Villages. I am looking to rent a room in the Villages from December 2015- February 2016 to see if it is for me. Can anyone tell me how to go about finding a room to rent. I don't mind sharing a place as I don't need a whole house.
Thank You
Ellen
Old 07-05-2015, 08:38 PM

Anyone have any Experience with Villages Insurance homeowners policies or ASI (American Strategic Insurance)?

I'm about to become a Newbie, sorta. Been a snowbird renter for 5 years and have learned to rely on TOTV for advice. Will soon close on a new home in LaBelle.

USAA has been my log time insurer but Villages Insurance beat USAA by a mile on premiums. Villages Insurance is actually now using ASI to underwrite policies. I checked ASI on the Better Business Bureau website and there are nearly 200 complaints. Most say ASI is famous for lowball premiums, but terrible on claim service.

Have any Villagers experienced this?
Old 07-14-2015, 10:18 AM

Great idea to run a thread for newbies. As one, I wonder what banks you prefer to use for checking account. Must be cart able from Spanish Springs. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2015, 07:50 PM

I agree.Some tree trimmer truck came to door and Said if I do work tomorrow ill give you such a deal!!!!! I said come back Monday and I know if I can arrord it ... he never came back.. Just wanted my money
Old 08-06-2015, 02:56 PM

What does cya stand for
Old 08-06-2015, 03:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathygeorge View Post
What does cya stand for
CYA - Cover your a##.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-06-2015, 05:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathygeorge View Post
What does cya stand for
Courtyard villa.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Get a golf cart as soon as possible and drive around going nowhere. Get lost a few times and find your way home.
I think this is great advice. When my wife and I moved to Cary, NC about 16 years ago, we found the layout of the town (if you can call a sprawling area with a population over 100,000 a "town") confusing as all get out. The roads just go every which way and no road goes straight for more than a block or so. We quickly decided to go for a drive every night for the first month or so we lived there. We'd pick a destination and try to find a new way to get that and to get back home, all the while trying to use the maps as little as possible (and no GPS's either!). At the end of the month, we really knew the layout of the town well. We figured we'd do the same thing when we move to The Villages (homeowners but not retired yet). The main difference is that we'll be doing it from a golf car (and boy, am I looking forward to that!).

We've only been to TV four times. The first time, we were hopelessly lost the whole time and our GPS really wasn't up to date on the streets. The second time, we started to know the general areas we were in and the GPS was getting a little better due a recent map update. This last spring we felt far more comfortable getting around to the major areas and the GPS (after another update) could get us to the exact streets to see the houses we were checking out. We came back to close on a house we'd bought and still required the GPS to find our house but not to get back out to the town centers or shopping areas. Progress!
Old 08-07-2015, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
I think this is great advice. When my wife and I moved to Cary, NC about 16 years ago, we found the layout of the town (if you can call a sprawling area with a population over 100,000 a "town") confusing as all get out. The roads just go every which way and no road goes straight for more than a block or so. We quickly decided to go for a drive every night for the first month or so we lived there. We'd pick a destination and try to find a new way to get that and to get back home, all the while trying to use the maps as little as possible (and no GPS's either!). At the end of the month, we really knew the layout of the town well. We figured we'd do the same thing when we move to The Villages (homeowners but not retired yet). The main difference is that we'll be doing it from a golf car (and boy, am I looking forward to that!).

We've only been to TV four times. The first time, we were hopelessly lost the whole time and our GPS really wasn't up to date on the streets. The second time, we started to know the general areas we were in and the GPS was getting a little better due a recent map update. This last spring we felt far more comfortable getting around to the major areas and the GPS (after another update) could get us to the exact streets to see the houses we were checking out. We came back to close on a house we'd bought and still required the GPS to find our house but not to get back out to the town centers or shopping areas. Progress!
My son lives in Holly Springs, NC. TV is MUCH easier to navigate than Cary. Welcome!
Old 08-12-2015, 06:45 PM

Thanks for all of the great advice! It's very helpful for soon to be TV'ers like myself and my husband. We're trying to learn all we can.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:17 PM

This is very interesting. We are moving down in October and will need all the help we can get!
Old 08-25-2015, 08:36 PM

Thank you..The other day a lawn maintenance guy wanted $2500.00 up front. Is he kidding they must think we are all idiots..I guess they don't know how smart we are making that long living to save the retirement money to live in this wonderful community. As a newcomer I just look at them and say nothing but have that amazed look in my eye as if I am telling them "You have to be kidding", a former NYer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.