Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I would say, pay no attention to the negative posts on this forum.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:02 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to thegryffin

I learned the hard way that if you have a cat, a court yard villa is no assurance that it will be inside your wall if you leave it unsupervised for long periods. Mine climbed atop the air conditioner and jumped atop the fence and into a tree on the other side never to be seen again. Also, some of the latches on the court yard gates are at least ten years old and the springs or whole assembly should be replaced to assure that the gate stays latched when the wind is forcing it to open.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:13 AM

While, or shortly after, you are moving in, a person will come by to ask you questions in order to get your $25 country club gift certificate. You will assume they are a representative of the Villages. They are not. They are there to get your information for a water softening system. They will call you the next day or so to set up an appointment. If you go for it, their salesperson will desperately try and talk you into purchasing a system. We have had a water softener for many years and I highly recommend it. But these folks are ripping many people off. They are telling people that the cost of the system is anywhere from $3900 to over $6000. If you pay any more than $2000, then you've been scammed. And, to top it off, they'll tell you not to tell anyone what you've paid! We know the system and it is good, but don't get taken for a ride. You can also buy a water softener in Home Depot or Lowes and have a plumber install it for a lot less.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherym View Post
Anyone have any Experience with Villages Insurance homeowners policies or ASI (American Strategic Insurance)?

I'm about to become a Newbie, sorta. Been a snowbird renter for 5 years and have learned to rely on TOTV for advice. Will soon close on a new home in LaBelle.

USAA has been my log time insurer but Villages Insurance beat USAA by a mile on premiums. Villages Insurance is actually now using ASI to underwrite policies. I checked ASI on the Better Business Bureau website and there are nearly 200 complaints. Most say ASI is famous for lowball premiums, but terrible on claim service.

Have any Villagers experienced this?
I would strongly suggest you reconsider keeping USAA. If they will sell to you in TV. They are a very strong (financially) company and they have an excellent customer service record. The fact they are members only they don't have some of the costs other insurers have so they are usually very competitive price wise. If someone is much less expensive that to me would be a very large red flag. At least IMHO.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:34 PM
Veteran member
Question Dr. Winston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Memorize this. If you need to, write it down and study it every day.

"When approaching a round about, if you intend to take the FIRST EXIT, you MUST use the RIGHT HAND LANE.

If you are going straight though by taking the SECOND EXIT, you may use EITHER LANE. (If you are in the left hand lane, be very careful of people on your right who may not know the next rule.)

If you intend to take the THIRD EXIT, you MUST use the LEFT HAND LANE.

And at all times, especially in a round about, keep your head on a swivel. Be aware of everything and everyone around you.
Dr. Winston, I see it's been nearly 6 months since you posted this. I'm wondering if you have seen much improvement or any improvement at all? I'm not a fan of round a bouts in general but I know they're very en vogue right now. I'd be OK with them if people just knew how to drive in them.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:57 PM

Is Southern lifestyles still in business? Their web site says they have shut their retail locations.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS Beef View Post
I would strongly suggest you reconsider keeping USAA. If they will sell to you in TV. They are a very strong (financially) company and they have an excellent customer service record. The fact they are members only they don't have some of the costs other insurers have so they are usually very competitive price wise. If someone is much less expensive that to me would be a very large red flag. At least IMHO.
I am a 40 yr member of USAA . They woild not write homeowners for me in TV. I think the will only cover active service members in Fl .

If this were not the case I would renew with them in a minute.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittofred1 View Post
While, or shortly after, you are moving in, a person will come by to ask you questions in order to get your $25 country club gift certificate. You will assume they are a representative of the Villages. They are not. They are there to get your information for a water softening system. They will call you the next day or so to set up an appointment. If you go for it, their salesperson will desperately try and talk you into purchasing a system. We have had a water softener for many years and I highly recommend it. But these folks are ripping many people off. They are telling people that the cost of the system is anywhere from $3900 to over $6000. If you pay any more than $2000, then you've been scammed. And, to top it off, they'll tell you not to tell anyone what you've paid! We know the system and it is good, but don't get taken for a ride. You can also buy a water softener in Home Depot or Lowes and have a plumber install it for a lot less.
We will be buying a water heater in October. We're planning on getting it from Home Depot or Lowes. Any suggestions on plumbers or do we just let them arrange installation.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:27 PM
Send a message via AIM to Emmakrock@yahoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Let's do a thread with some advice for newbies, things to do and NOT to do when you first move here.

First I will say not to buy from the door pounders who come to you in the weeks right after you move in. Not because they are all unworthy contractors, but some of them are, and nothing, NOTHING has to be done at once. Take your time and wait for changes to water supply, adding pest treatments, painting driveways or even if you will add downspouts to the back of your home. Wait to see who your neighbors use for lawn maintainance.

Please jump in here and add your comments here everyone.
Looking for furniture but a little nervous as we just had a bad experience trying to buy a golf cart.How do keep safe.People wanting money sent without seeing it.What do others do?
Old 09-06-2015, 09:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmakrock@yahoo.com View Post
Looking for furniture but a little nervous as we just had a bad experience trying to buy a golf cart.How do keep safe.People wanting money sent without seeing it.What do others do?
If you are looking for gently used furniture, there are several reputable Consignment Stores around.
We dealt with Bargains and Treasures for the purchase of our furniture.
They pick up furniture from 13 Villages homes every day. Lots of good stuff.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:44 PM

Where are some places to purchase updated furniture?
Old 09-06-2015, 09:46 PM

were you happy with the cost?
Old 09-06-2015, 09:48 PM

What about golf carts ? Did you go outside the villages to purchase
Old 09-06-2015, 09:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmakrock@yahoo.com View Post
Where are some places to purchase updated furniture?
Bargains and Treasures, Nerlee New ... google Consignment Stores.

There is also a Search button (see above) where you can look for previous threads on any topic.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Attend CDD orientation class Thursday morning 10:00am at the district office before you buy a house.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.