Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 03-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Platinum member

Do not pay for any service in advance. There may be a few exceptions to this "rule" but until you are really settled in and know who's who it is best not to make payments in advance.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:39 PM

I am in same situation. It is tough to hold back on things you want to do but we moved forward with the landscaping and had a PV solar system installed. Our primary reason is that we want to get things done before getting on a fixed income. Neighbors are very helpful. We started with Stellar lawn service but have since changed. They started off good but the yard maintenance suffered as time went on. We now have have a service that we pay monthly and it works out better in my opinion. Wife wants to do some inside things which we are looking into. Keep is to be patience and check out avialble sources before commiting. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Gold member

I notice that some here are saying that they receive phone calls from pushy vendors. My question is how did they get your new phone number? Especially if you have a cell phone? or do you have a land line which is posted somewhere?
Please share.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarick View Post
I notice that some here are saying that they receive phone calls from pushy vendors. My question is how did they get your new phone number? Especially if you have a cell phone? or do you have a land line which is posted somewhere?
Please share.
its the land line and those who stop by and have you fill out an info card
Old 03-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
its the land line and those who stop by and have you fill out an info card
I guess the solution is not to fill out the info card.
Thanks
Old 03-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Sage

One of the things that new villagers don't do is to find a doctor and have their records transferred. It just isn't on your mind to do when you are not sick.

But many can tell you that health emergencies can occur at any time and it helps to have someone in possession of your records.

Do not ask me who to choose for a doctor. Ours is just o.k..Our dentist is so good that I hate to share.

O.K. Drs. Kathleen Williams and her partner at Palm Dental on 466 across from Crispers and next to Lang Eye. You owe me big time. I hope they don't get any busier than they are.

BE VERY CAREFUL of dentists. This is the first time I have lived in a place where they will scam you. There are a lot of unethical ones and dental hygienists too who want to deep clean you for over a thousand dollars.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-13-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:32 PM
Gold member

All the cell phone numbers I gave out during the building process will be changed when we move full time to TV. I never give out my unlisted land line number to anyone except friends and family. That should stop the vendor calls.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:09 PM
Veteran member

Agree with don't ever pay up front, especially landscapers. One of my favorite improvements was the solar tubes in the dark area's of our home'
Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
before you move take a long hard look at your furniture and decide whether you really want the same in your new home in TV. I can't tell you how many new residents wind up getting new furniture becuase it is time or it doesn't go in the new house as well or it is not a Florida-ie or just because.

We for one could have saved time and money by bringing our master bedroom and guest furniture only. Sell, pass on, give away and don't pay to move it.

When it comes to golf carts take your time to comparison shop.

CHeck with your neighbors for the various services they use. Many of us have had to trial and error find ones we are satisfied with.

As has been stated already beware/ignore the door knockers....especially the ones who want to trim your trees and bushes whether they need them or not.

btk
We sold or gave away our furniture before moving to TV. We bought from Southern Lifestyles who have the floor plans for each model home ad are able to do floor plans for each room. When we got here our new furniture was all in place as designed and we felt like we were coming home rather than moving in.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:22 PM

Best advice I got came from a bumper sticker I saw shortly after moving here. It said "we don't care how you did it up north".