Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:59 PM
Sage

I'm working in a rented garage on a "Wayback Machine" but I can't remember where it was.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:16 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet View Post
Above all don't drink the water from the Fountain of Youth in Spanish Springs - It a sham. I've been drinking it for the last 5 years now and still got 5 year older. Its completely miss represented and at times it even turns green and stains everything ! But, I hear the water going into Brownwood off Rt 44 by the cowboys and Bulls has some promise so we moved closer and will let you know how it goes in another 5 years (I hope - someone reminds me just in case I forget ). If anyone has any other promising thoughts let me know, I'm not getting any younger and need all the help I can get.
Helpful Hints for dadspet, per request:

When you are watching television, do not have your iPad with you so you will not be tempted to look up the ages of the actors and actresses you are watching. I have been watching Downton Abbey and I just had to look up the actress who plays Mrs. Hughes -- a lovely woman, but I thought she was soooooo much older than I am...........

Also, while you are standing in line at Publix, never look at those people on the cover of People. You will have no idea who they are and that will make you feel really old.

Oh well, age is all a state of mind..........so they say.

Last edited by Boomer; 01-19-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:07 PM

^^ good one Boomer!! LMAO
Old 02-04-2016, 08:57 PM

Thanks again for more sound advice. You all Rock!
Old 02-04-2016, 09:07 PM
Sage

I make coffee using a French Press. The way it works is that I pour microwaved boiling water over coffee and then push the handle down. There is a screen on the plunger and keeps almost all of the grounds on the bottom.
It doesn't taste any better than Mr. Coffee but it's just as cheap. And I can't accidentally leave anything turned on when I run out to the course. I wish I knew this trick so I could have taught my dad.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the advice. We are renting presently and waiting for our house to be finished in mid March. Several people have advised not jumping into making changes too quickly.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:42 PM

What about the water quality here. Is it really as bad as the test shows? I have a Berkey Water Filter and the salesman did a test on that water and the tap water and then, his water from the water purifier. Both of my waters looked awful with the drops he put in, but his water was clear. So, is the water here filled with contaminents?
Old 02-26-2016, 08:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysunshine1948 View Post
What about the water quality here. Is it really as bad as the test shows? I have a Berkey Water Filter and the salesman did a test on that water and the tap water and then, his water from the water purifier. Both of my waters looked awful with the drops he put in, but his water was clear. So, is the water here filled with contaminents?

Remember what your mom told you about people who say "The check's in the mail" and" I have a vasectomy"????

File people who test your water in the same category. Not to be completely trusted.

They are doing parlor tricks in order to sell you a water softener. I bet you didn't call them either? They just showed up?

I want to go on record that no one ever said that to me about vasectomies.

Don't start, y'all.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysunshine1948 View Post
There is real competition among people who want to sell you a water filter.
We purchased in TV in 2007, and haven't bought a whole-home water filter.
We have a water filtration under the sink for drinking water.
Not because the water is filled with contaminants, but because the water we drink tastes better to us being filtered.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
There is real competition among people who want to sell you a water filter.
We purchased in TV in 2007, and haven't bought a whole-home water filter.
We have a water filtration under the sink for drinking water.
Not because the water is filled with contaminants, but because the water we drink tastes better to us being filtered.
Not only that, but the lobsters in the tank prefer it filtered as well. By the way......
Old 02-27-2016, 06:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I told my parents if they open the door just speak German, and say I am not the owner. But it is more fun to use Asian verbiage when you are Scandinavian. They always leave
Old 02-28-2016, 06:36 PM

We just moved to TV. USAA (25 year plus member) insured us without problem. They did use a FL agent. I did not compare prices, we had a short time frame between PA and close. I note that we have NEVER had a claim so that may have made some difference. The one thing that I noticed was the sinkhole,coverage. 20% of the premium and a 10% deductible, so the deductible for a $200,000 house was $20,000. I will be coming some shopping on this next year.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
I'm surprised so many people have land lines. I wouldn't know what to do with a land line. I kept the same cell number I've had for 20+ years and don't give it out to anyone but family
We have a landline and caller ID. Brighthouse displays the information on the TV screen. If we don't know you, we don't answer. Landlines are just better for us, clearer, more comfortable and coupled with cell we can both be on phones at the same time. I am a little amazed at the number of solicitation calls people are receiving...if we get 3 or 4 a week that's a lot.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-05-2016, 07:36 AM

Hi! I'm new to the forum, living in NJ, and considering moving to the Villages at some point down the road. Does everyone need a water "system"? What's wrong with the water out of the tap/shower head?
Old 03-05-2016, 02:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoomer View Post
Hi! I'm new to the forum, living in NJ, and considering moving to the Villages at some point down the road. Does everyone need a water "system"? What's wrong with the water out of the tap/shower head?
Many people will try to sell you a water system, but it's totally unnecessary.
IMHO, the water is fine here.
We have a $35 unit under the kitchen sink for drinking water to make it taste better.
That's it for us, and we bought in 2007.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.