Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:41 AM
Location: Near Sumter Landing; come down when we can; still live in Forest Hills, a suburb of NYC

didn't know there were trains. Where are they?
Old 07-29-2016, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG999 View Post
didn't know there were trains. Where are they?
They parallel 301
Old 07-29-2016, 08:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
I agree with all of the above.

To add to a few. When shopping for golf cart...sometimes paying the extra eliminates problems down the road. Will they come to your home if you have a problem?

When finding a landscape company..check here on TOTV, but also ask other folks who's yard you like who they used and are they happy. Thats one area that I didn't do enough research. I'm stuck with dead plants and a company that could care less....never come around to see how plants, etc are doing.

Suggestion: Some of the Cart folks will push gas, they will specify the range and distance problems. Some sell gas. BS.
After a lot of looking we went to AGC near Bonefish Grill and got the Electric Ez Go. Great cart, quiet, no gas odors, no flywheel clutch with jerky start. Maintenance, well, for the first year they come to your house, no charge. How is that compared to standing in line and wait wait, wait? If they take it to the shop, and they have, and it is back the same day. Great to deal with. In Summary, you could not give me a gas cart unless I could sell it immediately. We love our EZGo and we love AGC and their no quibble service.
Want more info? bbbbbb

If possible, walk the neighborhood and see who your neighbors will be. And if you meet some ask them about noise...trains, barking dogs, etc.
Very good ideas, take your time. To buy, first locate where after a lot of looking, then the model, then the price and there is plenty of Independent Realtors nearby who can be very good to deal with also.
bbbbbb
Old 07-29-2016, 08:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhenefeld View Post
All this is really good info for someone who will be moving to TV in late summer or early fall. I have a question. How much time do I need to spend there when looking to buy a house? We would like to rent a house in July or Aug. but don't know if we need a whole month or just a couple of weeks. Any sugguestions?
Hi, we visited three times for a month each time. Glad we did, so now,,,,,,,,,,, First determine the area, close in or not close in. Second, a house or Villa, make that decision, Third, price range and beware of grossly overpriced homes. Also there are Realtor outside of the Villages, ReMax, Grizzard etc. So the Village has a program of a Villa and a Cart and maybe bicycles. Do it all and be sure you know what you want. Do not go for the story to only offer 2 or 3 percent off when buying and be sure to be very careful,,,,,,,,,,,, Some agents have been found to speak with forked tongues, big-time.
bbbbbb
Old 07-29-2016, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbbb View Post
Asking for a bit of advice on buying here? Here is our two cents
1. Take your time, you can buy from a private party, use the Newspaper to look, or from an outside realtor, Remax or Grizzard are very good or from the Villages, use the Lifestyle program, they may furnish a golf cart and you pay for a villa to rent, a good deal to look around.
2. Again,,,,,,,,,,,,TAKE YOUR TIME AND DO NOT IMPULSE BUY !!!!!
3. Be Very Careful of maintenance people and sales people, you are the cash cow, you have the money and they want to get to it.
4. Maintenance, we used and really enjoyed: Action Jackson, Bill McKenzie of Gable Insulators, Tim Cox and the plumber, Isherwood. Be careful and get EVERYTHING IN WRITING and DO NOT give anyone a dime until perhaps they are 75% done.
5. Take time to write up a simple contract and get a signature and a firm time frame and no money up front, not one dime.
6. On moving here, item number one, set on the location, then on home size, then on by owner or realtor or by the Villages, and good luck.
7. Be vert dutiful on DOCUMENTATION,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, DO IT.
8. We bought an electric cart from AGC carts, they are good, they cover everything for the first year, they come out to you.

On a new home? Have they changed the rules? You had to make a decent sized deposit if I remember...
Old 07-29-2016, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
On a new home? Have they changed the rules? You had to make a decent sized deposit if I remember...
I think he's talking about maintenance/improvements rather than new-home buying...?
Old 07-29-2016, 12:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I think he's talking about maintenance/improvements rather than new-home buying...?
Oh gotcha.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiceis View Post
Just want to let the villagers in the south that just because a gas golf cart is "recommended" we have an electric Star golf cart & it goes at least 30 or 40 miles on a charge. We regularly go from Gilchrist to Spanish Springs or Walmart with no problem. Their customer service is fabulous...we lost keys and they deliver them to us no problem. So if you want electric, don't be afraid. Go Star!
Responding to some of the comments:
Golf Cart, gas or electric? Don't believe the Gas Crap. Well, we have an Electric EzGo from AGC carts we love it their service is great, comes to our house for service free the first year. They are located near the Bonefish grill, good people for sure. Love the cart, no gas odors, no jerking clutch, just silent running.
Rain Gutters, yes or no? YES, YES. We are on a sand pile. A big sand pile that has been shoved around during construction, it can be unstable so a lot of water coming down your roof and side of house can go into the ground immediately, sand can settle and then foundation can settle!!!!! Get gutters, cheap insurance, direct the water AWAY from your foundation, do it!
Suggest you fill a fruit jar with dry sand, then add water and take a look.
On maintenance persons, no money up front, write down all the details of any work, make a copy for you and for the trade persons, have it signed, pay maybe one third only when partially finished.
Good workers? Action Jackson, Tim Cox, Bill Mckenzie with Gable Insulators, Isherwood the Plumber. The SUN paper has phone numbers.
Suggest yard workers do it by the job, not a monthly contract. Be sure to review the work before payment.
Suggest you open up the gable vents if they are not there or plugged, you need that air flow, also the newer radiant insulation sheets against your roof underneath, at the trusses makes a big difference in the attic temperature. Gable insulators does that job, it is a great addition, saw the results immediately.
Watch out for a guy, EXcalibur paving, he really screwed us around big time.
bbbbbb
Old 07-29-2016, 04:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna lee View Post
I'm looking for a very good handyman who is reasonable. Any one have someone to refer me to?

Yes, Action Jackson, Timothy Cox, Bill McKenzie with Gable insulators, Isherwood Plumbing, all good, in the papers.
bbbbbb
Old 07-29-2016, 04:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank101 View Post
Hello, I just joined your site today and until I get used to searching the questions I will be having, I could use some help.
I will be coming to TV in April or May to look for a home. Is it better to use the Villages realtor office or go to local Weichert or etc?
If you could tell me which forums to look up, it would be appreciated.
Thank you.
OK a couple of suggestions, The Village has a Lifestyle program, a villa, a golf cart, maybe bikes, and a sales person to help if you want. We liked Mr. Foster of Grizzard Realtor, Independent and there is ReMax so use them all, get to know the area. First, settle on an area, LOCATION< then a Villa or a Home, then a model then dicker on price, yes, be not stung, do not get stung, be very careful and do not believe everything you hear. Consider an Electric Cart at AGC carts, near the Bonefish Grill. We love ours. bbbbbb
Old 08-03-2016, 08:06 PM
Veteran member

Just some brief thoughts on moving here or contemplating.
`1. You can buy from owners, in the paper or online, you can have a Village person set you up with a villa, it is called Lifestyle program. You can deal with outside licensed realtors, REMax, Grizzard, Executive Realty etc.
2. Decide first on LOCATION, again, location for sure is number one.
3. You may want a golf cart, some of the dealers push GAS, buy Gas, etc. You may hear about the LIMITED range on Electric, mostly a bunch of BS. See what they will put in writing on add ons, on maintenance and service. We dealt with AGC near Bonefish grill for the first year, they come to your home on maintenance if you get that set up in your contract.
4 DO NOT, REALLY DO NOT Rush into your first home purchase, there are many scenarios to get you to do the impulse buying,,,,,,,,,,,, you may get stung. Take your time, sleep on it for several nites, there are a lot of homes, villas, etc. available so do not hurry.
5. Before you agree to deposit one dime, get it all in writing, the Bond? The fees , the taxes etc. GET IT ALL.
If the home is pre owned, then you better do a real good personal inspection and you may want to hire a maintenance person who is recommended by someone to point out the hidden items, insulation, window fits etc. Etc.
Good luck, TAKE YOUR TIME OR ???????///

bbbbbb
Old 08-04-2016, 07:47 AM

As a former new yorker i would caution you re health care. The ratio of doctors to patients is very bad. Also, the villages health system now only accepts medicare advantage(not original medicare) many former nyers over 65 have medicare & good retiree health packages. We have good insurance but no doctors. Just something to keep in mind before buying in villages. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blicata View Post
As a former new yorker i would caution you re health care. The ratio of doctors to patients is very bad. Also, the villages health system now only accepts medicare advantage(not original medicare) many former nyers over 65 have medicare & good retiree health packages. We have good insurance but no doctors. Just something to keep in mind before buying in villages. Good luck.
The Villages Healthcare system is just one choice here in The Villages.. Many of us see physicians outside of that system. I would like to also point out that regular insurance of all kinds is accepted at The Villages Hospital. Several people have sent me P.M.s thinking that was not so. The Villages Hospital is not part of The Villages Healthcare system that is in the news.

The Villages Hospital was BUILT by the developer and is rented and run by the same company as the hospital in Leesburg. Health Alliance of Central Florida.

Many of us are from areas that have top notch teaching hospitals and the cutting edge in skilled physicians. The Cleveland Clinic is number one in Cardiac care. Anderson in Houston is number one in Cancer care. Philadelphia has the number one Childrens Hospital. Vanderbilt is best in handling serious contagious disease. I could go on and on. New York is your home and you love it, and the health care there is very good, and far better than here.

Florida in general doesn't rank high in health care you are correct, however there are local physicians who are adequate. I have always thought that the lack of really fine health care was the motivation behind the developer attempting to build a local good health care system. But I am told it was greed that was his motivation.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-04-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:27 PM

Thanks so much for starting this thread. My husband and I are closing on our home in Duval next week and we are so excited about moving to TV. All tips/hints are greatly appreciated. Can someone tell me how we pay the amenity fee - will it be included on our water bill??
Old 08-05-2016, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino8678 View Post
Thanks so much for starting this thread. My husband and I are closing on our home in Duval next week and we are so excited about moving to TV. All tips/hints are greatly appreciated. Can someone tell me how we pay the amenity fee - will it be included on our water bill??
Yes.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.