Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
Thread Tools
  #361  
Old 08-23-2016, 06:45 PM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,677
Thanks: 1,694
Thanked 238 Times in 180 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Is that in real dollars or that Canadian funny money? Do they accept payment in lobster?
Did Mets win the World Series? NO!
Since you lost our World Series bet, you can pay for lobster in any currency you like.

Are you making fun of Canadian currency just because it's coloured?
Or perhaps because it's in the ditch right now?
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
  #362  
Old 08-23-2016, 06:49 PM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,677
Thanks: 1,694
Thanked 238 Times in 180 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathrynsews View Post
I'm grateful for all of the advice. We are new owners, we closed on our home by mail in May and will arrive tomorrow to begin furnishing our home. We are bringing very little with us, and hope to take our time, only buying what we love. We have learned so much from searching posts and topics. Thanks to all of you! We look forward to new friends and experiences.
Welcome to The Villages. I hope you enjoy it as much as we all do.
Taking your time to get settled and buy furniture is a great idea!
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
  #363  
Old 08-24-2016, 05:17 PM
Linny Linny is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

We just moved into Pine Ridge--just 2 weeks ago. We have very few neighbors since we're one of the first in this area. Kinda lonely. Looking forward to getting involved in everything we dreamed of!
  #364  
Old 08-24-2016, 05:28 PM
golfing eagles's Avatar
golfing eagles golfing eagles is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: East Meadow NY, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Auburn NY, Lake Deaton
Posts: 8,402
Thanks: 265
Thanked 6,552 Times in 2,006 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Did Mets win the World Series? NO!
Since you lost our World Series bet, you can pay for lobster in any currency you like.

Are you making fun of Canadian currency just because it's coloured?
Or perhaps because it's in the ditch right now?
Since I won our NLCS bet and there was no World series bet, I'll accept my lobster steamed with extra butter. And would I make fun of Canadian currency just because I have monopoly money that looks better???? well, maybe....

However, we both get 15 yd. penalty for "cross-threading"
  #365  
Old 09-04-2016, 07:18 PM
Jackie Mantegna's Avatar
Jackie Mantegna Jackie Mantegna is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Osceola Hills
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks Gracie for starting this forum. My husband and I are new to TV - only here 3 weeks this Wednesday. I am almost settled in and looking for Dentists and Doctors. I do not like needles, therefore, I need a dentist who is really good at giving them if needed I was told of Dr. Cohrn in Lady Lake. Does anyone know of him/her? Can anyone suggest a good Board Certified Internal Medicine Doctor? Our insurance is BCBS. I will be ordering the Daily Sun tomorrow or Tuesday in hopes of finding some doctors to call but really would like recommendations from those that have lived her for a few. Thank you for any and all information! Have a Happy and safe Labor Day!
  #366  
Old 09-06-2016, 02:10 AM
Pmelo Pmelo is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 11
Thanks: 23
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

.How do this people get thru the gates?
  #367  
Old 09-06-2016, 07:19 PM
Howstheweather92 Howstheweather92 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have to say, I read about City Furniture on here prior to going into the store. My thought was, all of this can't be true... maybe some of these villagers are just cranky. I have to say... I was proven wrong. I gave City Furniture the benefit of the doubt and I got BURNED! My initial experience was somewhat pleasant. I met a nice fake blonde who had a forced bubbly attitude, previously I am sure she is multiple times divorced and an alcohol QVC shopper. Anyway, I went in the first time and it was good. It was each time after that was more and more ridiculous. I made a large order with delay after delay on the delivery. Leslie felt so bad she asked to take me for drinks! Anyway, there was a delay on the delivery for months. I grew more and more agitated. Finally, I cancelled. I had to hound Leslie to return my phone calls, calling the store manager didn't work either, so I dialed the number on the pamphlet.. Customer Service.. Good old for nothing, usually stupid and confused Customer Service. It was lucky they knew their own name, seriously. Unless you had your invoice number ready and agreed with whatever they said, they were going to be rude and unsatisfactory. After multiple attempts at reaching corporate unsuccessfully, I gave up. The local general manager was less of a help than anyone.. he just smiles and nods a lot without any clue of what's going on.. Skip my nonsense process and save yourself of the troube.. GO TO BABETTE'S, WHITES, KANES or anywhere else. Go anywhere with customer service.
  #368  
Old 09-06-2016, 09:45 PM
Southfork67 Southfork67 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I totally agee. Just had to replace LASTER LAWN CARE. Terrible service but I made the mistake of contacting for a year. Changed to a service my neighbors were using. Just remember not to use LASTER LAWN CARE and check with your neighbors. Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden.
  #369  
Old 09-07-2016, 08:31 AM
NavyNJ NavyNJ is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Lake Deaton
Posts: 230
Thanks: 89
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Default Not so fast my friend......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southfork67 View Post
I totally agee. Just had to replace LASTER LAWN CARE. Terrible service but I made the mistake of contacting for a year. Changed to a service my neighbors were using. Just remember not to use LASTER LAWN CARE and check with your neighbors. Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden.
Yes, yes, I know....I stole that line from my favorite College Gameday host - the great Lee Corso! However, as with most opinions offered on TOTV, there are always multiple perspectives and opinions on the same subject - including service contractors.

In this case, your not-so-great experience with Laster Lawncare (out of Ocala, just to be sure we're referring to the same) happens to be balanced by our really, really great experience with him - and for way more than just simple lawn care!

So.....as always, take everything with a grain of salt on TOTV, do your won research & interviewing of contractors, and go with your instincts. Should anyone have any specific questions about our experiences with Troy and his company, you can PM me. Cheers!!
  #370  
Old 09-09-2016, 11:14 AM
jackboyd2 jackboyd2 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Blinds or Plantation Shutters? The blind person is saying that the shutters keep out more of the heat. Our bedrooms are on the west side. Closing in a couple of weeks but not moving in till November. We want the blinds or shutters in before we come. Also on the shutters inside or outside mount? All opinions welcome.
  #371  
Old 09-09-2016, 11:16 AM
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 40,003
Thanks: 4,677
Thanked 5,373 Times in 1,852 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackboyd2 View Post
Blinds or Plantation Shutters? The blind person is saying that the shutters keep out more of the heat. Our bedrooms are on the west side. Closing in a couple of weeks but not moving in till November. We want the blinds or shutters in before we come. Also on the shutters inside or outside mount? All opinions welcome.
If it's Rick, trust him. But he can see...........
  #372  
Old 09-10-2016, 06:14 AM
Bernadette1 Bernadette1 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I just moved into a Villa and for the most part really like it, however - when I purchased it I didn't notice the satellite dish installed by the owner of an income property next to me. The dish is installed on her roof directly across from my sliding glass door. I asked her if she would consider moving the dish and even offered to pay for it to be installed in the back of the house (like everybody else) and she refuses!! I am so disgusted with this I could just scream. I took it to the board at the VCCD yesterday and because of some stupid FCC ruling regarding satellite dishes they will not intercede. I am concerned about the safety of the dish during a windstorm as well as the ugly appearance of it from every one of my windows. I keep my sliding glass door blinds shut a ll the time now because just looking at it aggravates me. The conclusion at yesterdays meeting with the VCCD is that this woman is just a special kind of "inconsiderate" and that most Villagers are not RUDE like she is. There is a perfectly clear signal in the back of the Villa but she just doesn't care. One Villager yesterday suggested I call Channel 6 news and shame her into doing something about it. If I do that, I am pretty much drawing a line in the sand with her and I didn't move here to fight with my neighbors. Any suggestions?
  #373  
Old 09-10-2016, 01:13 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 14,148
Thanks: 386
Thanked 1,412 Times in 621 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette1 View Post
I just moved into a Villa and for the most part really like it, however - when I purchased it I didn't notice the satellite dish installed by the owner of an income property next to me. The dish is installed on her roof directly across from my sliding glass door. I asked her if she would consider moving the dish and even offered to pay for it to be installed in the back of the house (like everybody else) and she refuses!! I am so disgusted with this I could just scream. I took it to the board at the VCCD yesterday and because of some stupid FCC ruling regarding satellite dishes they will not intercede. I am concerned about the safety of the dish during a windstorm as well as the ugly appearance of it from every one of my windows. I keep my sliding glass door blinds shut a ll the time now because just looking at it aggravates me. The conclusion at yesterdays meeting with the VCCD is that this woman is just a special kind of "inconsiderate" and that most Villagers are not RUDE like she is. There is a perfectly clear signal in the back of the Villa but she just doesn't care. One Villager yesterday suggested I call Channel 6 news and shame her into doing something about it. If I do that, I am pretty much drawing a line in the sand with her and I didn't move here to fight with my neighbors. Any suggestions?
I'm surprised, since you say you see it from every window, that you didn't notice it before buying the villa. The "stupid FCC rule" is in place to guarantee the public access to over-air reception by several means on their own property. Our condo association in MI tried to ban the installation of satellite dishes but lost out. The FCC ruling was that condo owners could install the dishes in "limited common areas," such as decks and balconies.

Here is an explanation of the rule: Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule | Federal Communications Commission
__________________
It's harder to hate close up.
  #374  
Old 09-10-2016, 02:19 PM
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 40,003
Thanks: 4,677
Thanked 5,373 Times in 1,852 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette1 View Post
I just moved into a Villa and for the most part really like it, however - when I purchased it I didn't notice the satellite dish installed by the owner of an income property next to me. The dish is installed on her roof directly across from my sliding glass door. I asked her if she would consider moving the dish and even offered to pay for it to be installed in the back of the house (like everybody else) and she refuses!! I am so disgusted with this I could just scream. I took it to the board at the VCCD yesterday and because of some stupid FCC ruling regarding satellite dishes they will not intercede. I am concerned about the safety of the dish during a windstorm as well as the ugly appearance of it from every one of my windows. I keep my sliding glass door blinds shut a ll the time now because just looking at it aggravates me. The conclusion at yesterdays meeting with the VCCD is that this woman is just a special kind of "inconsiderate" and that most Villagers are not RUDE like she is. There is a perfectly clear signal in the back of the Villa but she just doesn't care. One Villager yesterday suggested I call Channel 6 news and shame her into doing something about it. If I do that, I am pretty much drawing a line in the sand with her and I didn't move here to fight with my neighbors. Any suggestions?


Your neighbor is within his rights to have his dish there. People are allowed to add on to their homes obscuring peoples see through views of water and golf course. People can and will do things that other people may not approve of but the only things that you can complain about and get relief from the powers that be are the things listed on your deed restrictions.
  #375  
Old 09-10-2016, 02:41 PM
doll/lady doll/lady is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default New Villagers Help

My husband and I just moved into the village of Santo Domingo. How do we find groups to play golf with? I have a high handicap (30) and my husband's is in the low 20's. I saw a group for ladies, but my handicap is way too high. Also, has anyone used Villages Landscaping LLC to redo their yards? Thanks.
Reply

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 PM.