Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:58 PM
Gold member

I'm moving to TV about April and will purchase a resale. Is there a book/internet site with the rules, HOA regulations, etc? For example, I may put in a pool and would need to know the process for approval. Where do I get information about utilities? It's entirely possible that I won't go through the official Villages real estate company, and I don't know what I don't know, lol.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellincf View Post
I'm moving to TV about April and will purchase a resale. Is there a book/internet site with the rules, HOA regulations, etc? For example, I may put in a pool and would need to know the process for approval. Where do I get information about utilities? It's entirely possible that I won't go through the official Villages real estate company, and I don't know what I don't know, lol.
Try these

Community standards
VCDD Community Standards

Informational Publications
Forms and Publications

Deed restrictions
VCDD Deed Compliance - Sumter County

Architectural Review
VCDD Architectural Review

And the general website for our district government.
Village Community Development Districts
Old 07-30-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellincf View Post
Lots of regulations and approval process info at w w w.^districtgov^.org (not sure if this link is legal here so just remove the spaces and the ^ when you enter it into your browser).

Within that site look for Community Standards. Some approvals are based on the district you are interested in buying in. Info regarding utilities can also be found there.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpierleo View Post
I also agree solar tubes were one of our best after market investments. I also recommend you use this forum for many of your questions, particulary for numerous contractors you may want in the future. Also, ask away on this forum, you will receive great advise. Most of all, enjoy!
What is the approximate cost of solar tubes?
Old 07-31-2017, 10:48 AM
Gold member

Thanks. Will try it.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:54 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmi View Post
Lots of regulations and approval process info at w w w.^districtgov^.org (not sure if this link is legal here so just remove the spaces and the ^ when you enter it into your browser).

Within that site look for Community Standards. Some approvals are based on the district you are interested in buying in. Info regarding utilities can also be found there.
Thanks, found it on the internet. Whew. I think I will wing it with common sense and courtesy towards my neighbors, and try not to do anything rash or stupid
Old 08-02-2017, 04:06 PM

Watch out for lawn services that want to give you a good rate for a 1 yr contract. Neighbor got caught in this trap and since they are snowbirds are getting skipped over consistently. We are watching the house and need to keep contacting the owners. Company they are dealing with are very unprofessional but we keep seeing them around doing more work.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceylady View Post
In addition, just because a company is an advertiser on TOTV, does not mean they provide good customer service. I can probably guess who gerryann is talking about. Also check with Seniors vs, Crime before hiring anyone for anything. The best source is your neighbors-- don't rush into landscaping like I did, and get royally ripped off.
Hello Laceylady,

Sorry to hear about the bad landscaping experience.

TOTV is a good forum for sharing this good and bad information, but I would think YELP.COM would be too.

If a landscaper ripped you off, why not share that on YELP. YELP is a an "all business" site whereas here it's also "social" where people are naturally reluctant to lay into a bad contractor by name, but you can to that at Yelp.

Also, may I ask, what is "Seniors vs. Crime"?
Old 08-06-2017, 10:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Let's do a thread with some advice for newbies, things to do and NOT to do when you first move here.

First I will say not to buy from the door pounders who come to you in the weeks right after you move in. Not because they are all unworthy contractors, but some of them are, and nothing, NOTHING has to be done at once. Take your time and wait for changes to water supply, adding pest treatments, painting driveways or even if you will add downspouts to the back of your home. Wait to see who your neighbors use for lawn maintainance.

Please jump in here and add your comments here everyone.
Another warning, do not respond to other totv members asking you for private information in a private message. It could be a Trojan horse.

Also don't give out personal information in the public forum either.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post

...Also don't give out personal information in the public forum either.

I agree. Such information would make a person vulnerable to trolls and constant harassment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2017, 02:01 PM
Sage

Originally Posted by Lpierleo The Villages Florida
I also agree solar tubes were one of our best after market investments.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have five sun tunnels in our home.
We think they are wonderful, a great after-market investment.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Let's do a thread with some advice for newbies, things to do and NOT to do when you first move here.

First I will say not to buy from the door pounders who come to you in the weeks right after you move in. Not because they are all unworthy contractors, but some of them are, and nothing, NOTHING has to be done at once. Take your time and wait for changes to water supply, adding pest treatments, painting driveways or even if you will add downspouts to the back of your home. Wait to see who your neighbors use for lawn maintainance.

Please jump in here and add your comments here everyone.
WARNING
beware of landscaping services performed by
"DOUBLE DISCOUNT LANDSCAPING SERVICE"
prior leaving for a doctors appointment, my wife instructed them what specifically she wanted done. upon completion, the workers came to the front door and I paid them in cash (mistake #1). since I am slightly physically disabled I did not go out to inspect their work (mistake #2). when my wife returned, she was appalled to see the shoddy trimming of the shrubs and did not trim any part of the palm tree and did not clean up any of the clippings that were spread all over the property. Numerous calls to their office went unanswered and no response to my messages. seniors against crime reports three prior complaints against this company. an expensive lesson has been learned here. they also advertise in the classified section of the daily Sun. So BEWARE
Old 08-21-2017, 03:19 PM
Default Water bill question.

Got our 2nd water bill today. Seems high at $208. We have not used the irrigation system and are being billed for 1500+ gals. System has been turned off since June. No visible sign of leaking. House usage was 1980 gals. Does this seem reasonable?
Old 08-21-2017, 03:24 PM
Default Water bill question

See now that our bill includes the monthy amenity fee. so maybe this isn't unreasonable for water.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:44 PM
Default Moving Boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgalb01 View Post
We will be furnishing a home in TV in the next two weeks and am wondering how to dispose of the big cardboard appliance boxes and all the other packing materials/boxes that will be generated from household goods? Is there a recycling center where I can dispose of these items? What would you recommend...Thanks.
I saw a TOTV ad for free moving boxes, and I went to the house immediately. Putting an ad on this thread for FREE moving boxes is a definite service to those who cannot afford new ones, plus it's a great recycle activity.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.