Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:23 PM

Hello to all! My husband and I will be retiring in a few years and are coming down later this month to check out The Villages. I have been searching different real estate websites, including the homes for sale on The Villages website, looking at the photos of the different home styles to narrow down our search for the "perfect" home (if one exists). I have noticed, however, that some of the homes for sale have iron bars installed on the front doors, and even on some windows. This concerns me a little bit. Is there a problem with crime in The Villages where homeowners feel safer with security bars? I've noticed that the majority of the homes for sale that do have bars are located in the older, northern section near Spanish Springs. Thanks for any info you can give.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:27 PM
Veteran member

We are in the process of buying a CYV in the Calumet Grove/Chatam area. Who are you using for your cable and internet, we are not interested in a landline but with the bundling the major providers push that remains to be seen. We rented earlier this year in Chatam and I believe the owners had Century Link, meanwhile this week we were in Alden Bungalows for a few nights Comcast was the provider. Pros/cons for either service, what is your experience?

Thanks
Old 05-31-2018, 11:10 AM

Hi, We are buying a home in TV and closing July 10. Any recommendations for good homeowner insurance agents?
Old 05-31-2018, 11:10 AM

Thanks Gracie
Old 05-31-2018, 11:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
One man's opinion. Many of us are thankful that the deed restrictions are in place and enforced as needed.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
As billiethekid said, think about buying new furniture here instead of paying so much to ship tired, outdated furniture.

The consignment shops here are full of things that are in good shape but extremely dated, and much of it cost the owner a bundle to ship it here and then it did not fit or did not do justice to a sparkling, fresh new or pre-owned home here.
where is a good place to shop for furniture? We sold/gave away all of our furniture and expect to buy new in TV. We did go through City Furniture during our last visit but I don't see any other places on line. We will be closing on our house 18 June and will need a few pieces so we're not eating, sleeping and sitting on the floor.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgodin View Post
where is a good place to shop for furniture? We sold/gave away all of our furniture and expect to buy new in TV. We did go through City Furniture during our last visit but I don't see any other places on line. We will be closing on our house 18 June and will need a few pieces so we're not eating, sleeping and sitting on the floor.
If money is no object, I don't know.

If I was starting from scratch I would go to amazon and buy and air mattress. They are amazing and easily stored in case you get a house full for the holidays.

I would also buy the biggest folding table they sell and 4 folding chairs. They also come in handy.

Then find someone that can deliver and watch the village ads right here and join a neighbors online group. I forget the name and someone will help me remember. Each village has one.

I remember now---it is called NextDoor-----google it----it's very safe IMHO

Last edited by tomwed; 06-01-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgodin View Post
Look at Babbettes in Leesburg, (soon to have a place near The Villages, I hear) and also look at the consignment shop, Bargains and Treasures, on 466 just east of 302 in a strip mall on the south side of 466.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momlee3306 View Post
Hello to all! My husband and I will be retiring in a few years and are coming down later this month to check out The Villages. I have been searching different real estate websites, including the homes for sale on The Villages website, looking at the photos of the different home styles to narrow down our search for the "perfect" home (if one exists). I have noticed, however, that some of the homes for sale have iron bars installed on the front doors, and even on some windows. This concerns me a little bit. Is there a problem with crime in The Villages where homeowners feel safer with security bars? I've noticed that the majority of the homes for sale that do have bars are located in the older, northern section near Spanish Springs. Thanks for any info you can give.
I live near Spanish Springs and there is no "problem with crime" in TV. I feel totally safe in my home and neighborhood/village. If you read the other online news...you will see most "crime" is a result of too many margaritas. The only "iron bars installed on front doors" I have seen are more decorative than security. I have never seen bars on windows, but if you have, don't worry it is not a reflection of the safety of the neighborhood. Perhaps the homeowner came from a city where that was commonplace and felt more comfortable with that as it was what they grew up with. I have never felt unsafe here. No worries, come and enjoy this beautiful place!
Old 06-24-2018, 06:53 AM

We are looking for furniture as well because we just bought a CYV in Desoto and found there is an Ashley Furniture Homestore, we use them at home in NY and have had great luck. The closest store we found was Inverness. Good quality and decent prices.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:48 AM
Veteran member

I have lived here 10 years and have not died from drinking the water, and our clothes wash fine in our water. Great comments. Listen to them. We purchased several pieces of furniture from Kents Furniture in Bellview. All our dealings with them were positive and they deliver to TV., also listen to Gracie, Barbettes Furniture in Leesburg is great. I think they ar opening a store in Brownwood

Last edited by bilcon; 06-24-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Folks, did you know that our wonderful Fire Dept will come to your house and change out all the batteries in your smoke alarms/detectors and CO detectors. You provide the batteries, they provide the labor, yep NO CHARGE!!!!!! They don't want people falling off ladders. Just call and make an appointment.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 06-24-2018, 09:04 AM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I wonder if they would let topiary pink flamingos fly. Here are some real beauties at Franklin Park in Ohio. franklin park pink flamingo topiary photo - Google Search
Thank you for being honest.

When we buy a house in an HOA, we always ask for copies of the HOA documents as a contingency so we can review them. Most of them do not want to give them out before the closing.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:49 AM

Don't pay for lawn care a year in advance....learned the hard way...did a horrible job and we had no recourse...We found a good reputable guy...doing a great job and he bills us by the month.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post

Folks, did you know that our wonderful Fire Dept will come to your house and change out all the batteries in your smoke alarms/detectors and CO detectors. You provide the batteries, they provide the labor, yep NO CHARGE!!!!!! They don't want people falling off ladders. Just call and make an appointment.
The fire department came the same day that I called last Fall. Awesome service and much appreciated.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.