Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:11 PM

If considering having work done in your home, get quotes from 3 contractors. We did for that for a couple jobs (1 large & 1 small) and the costs varied by quite a bit on both.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:14 PM

Lake Sumter Landing on 2nd Floor by Starbucks - The Villages CDD Customer Service 352-753-4508
Old 12-31-2018, 01:51 PM
Default Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable99 View Post
Keep them coming. Mom and I have owned here for almost a year but we haven't moved in yet!
Sable how do you get your picture by your name. I have a I pad.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathyjohnson View Post
Sable how do you get your picture by your name. I have a I pad.
Click on "User CP" (user Control PanelP in the upper left.

Click on "Edit Avatar" in the left-hand pane.

You can either include a link to an image that is already online someplace OR you can upload an image.

If you need help uploading a picture let us know.

kathy
Old 01-01-2019, 11:24 AM

I want to thank you for this thread! We purchased a home in the Villages in November and are so excited to make it our own. Many of the things you all suggested, warned against are mistakes I would have made.

I do have a question/worry. I have been reading the local news papers and the comment sections. It seems to be very political. I am hoping to live a quiet, fun filled life and let my one vote to speak for me. Do you have any suggestions on how to avoid politics? Is everyone in the Villages hyper-political? I do not want to offend anyone, I just want to enjoy all the Villages has to offer and not be inundated with political discourse. If you could offer suggestions to calm my worries; it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjohns View Post
I want to thank you for this thread! We purchased a home in the Villages in November and are so excited to make it our own. Many of the things you all suggested, warned against are mistakes I would have made.

I do have a question/worry. I have been reading the local news papers and the comment sections. It seems to be very political. I am hoping to live a quiet, fun filled life and let my one vote to speak for me. Do you have any suggestions on how to avoid politics? Is everyone in the Villages hyper-political? I do not want to offend anyone, I just want to enjoy all the Villages has to offer and not be inundated with political discourse. If you could offer suggestions to calm my worries; it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter.
Welcome! I have never had a negative experience around politics in The Villages (and my views are in the minority, for sure!). It just doesn't generally come up and if it did, I'd change the subject FAST. Mama was right when she said "Never discuss politics or religion"!!

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 01-01-2019, 01:20 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjohns View Post

First of all, a disclaimer: For those who have been around here for a while and are sensitive to anything they feel is aimed at their personal political opinions, that is not what I am doing here. I mention no party. I am attempting to address the question about what we Villagers know happens here sometimes. Incoming Villagers who want to know what to expect and how to navigate in peace deserve an opinion. So please do not have my post removed. It is not about you and your politics. It is about meeting new people in TV while avoiding political discussion.

Dear drjohns,

You will meet a few people who are constantly, and immediately, trying to insert their politics into every conversation or social occasion. They often will assume you are one of them because of how you look or what you have. (But that is true everywhere these days when meeting new people and even among old friends.)

In TV, I am quite good at what I call "The Driveway Dance" -- this dance can be done when meeting new neighbors, but also in places other than just on your street. (If you have ever been a good company wife, you already will know the dance steps.)

I do not find it to be worth being caught up in opposing political opinions. I choose not to engage.

(My choice to not engage in political discourse actually bothers me. I would love to have an actual discussion with someone who can tell me why they think as they do -- in their own words and from their individual experience. I do not like how divided we feel as a nation. But I choose my battles when it comes to our social life.)

I think of TV, affectionately, of course, as the World's Biggest High School. As the new kid, take your time.

You will meet some who are trying right away to determine your politics. Those are usually the most vocal, determined to know if you are one who gets to sit at their lunch table in the high school cafeteria. Their lunch table is the only place they want to be and they can seem angry at those who will not sit right there with them -- way over on whatever side of the high school cafeteria they need to sit..

But you are also going to meet people who feel just like you do.

Usually I can change the subject or graciously escape. There are times though when I know there is no chance that I want to know a person better -- because they would not like me. There are times when I have been known to say, with a smile, "I do not discuss politics." That seems to work most times and to some I say it to, I know it is a relief.

You will be just fine. Meanwhile, practice those "dance steps" and take your time as you enter "The Biggest High School in the World." (Please remember, oh sensitive ones, that I say this with affection and I really do know my way around high schools.)

Anyway, drjohns, you will find your place here. TV has many good things to offer -- and under a mostly blue sky.

Sincerely,
Boomer
Old 01-02-2019, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,372 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
...snip...
Sincerely,
Boomer

I hope the person you responded to didn't have the same experience at high school as I did. If I were to take your comparison seriously I'd rather just divorce my husband and move in with my sister, than move to the Villages.

I was one of the people who had no table at the cafeteria. I was the one they beat up in the gym, I was the one who got DISinvited to her "best friend's" birthday party because her boyfriend said he wouldn't be there if I showed up.

If that's the mentality I can expect (and I've seen evidence of such right here on this forum), then maybe I should have a talk with a lawyer, instead of a real estate agent.

MY last decades of life are worth more to me than a trip to a Home for the Aged High School Bullies.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:59 PM
Platinum member

Last edited by Fraugoofy; 01-02-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
[/color]

I hope the person you responded to didn't have the same experience at high school as I did. If I were to take your comparison seriously I'd rather just divorce my husband and move in with my sister, than move to the Villages.

I was one of the people who had no table at the cafeteria. I was the one they beat up in the gym, I was the one who got DISinvited to her "best friend's" birthday party because her boyfriend said he wouldn't be there if I showed up.

If that's the mentality I can expect (and I've seen evidence of such right here on this forum), then maybe I should have a talk with a lawyer, instead of a real estate agent.

MY last decades of life are worth more to me than a trip to a Home for the Aged High School Bullies.
When I first started posting on this Forum many years ago I was very unsure about this place, it seemed WAAAAY too good to be true and I asked people who the builder was and was he nice and what were the hidden bad things. I was met with absolute negativity. I know now why. People who live here for awhile almost always like it very much and those who live here year 'round, soon start thinking of it as home. They feel defensive of this lovely place and grow tired of the real trolls who stroll in just to start trouble and sew seeds of discord.

Jazuela, The Villages is just about all that and a bag of chips. It is well run and it is highly populated with very funny and opinionated people who rarely talk politics when in a social situation. There is a least one real billionaire here and countless people who worked hard all of their lives even if they had a cold, a headache or a sore back. The worst trouble most of them have been in with the law is a speeding ticket or a library book kept past date. They are quick to like you and slow to be troublesome, most of those that I have met anyway, and most of us have radar that can back up and walk away if someone is really and completely a jerk. We have a few on this Forum and even wonderful folks can be a jerk from time to time.

Most people who live here have however met their share of heartbreaking situations with health and loss of loved ones and perhaps a few serious economic downturns. It has made most of them compassionate and stalwart and very understanding, no matter their politics and bank account, they have met and weathered some life crises.

I hope that you Jazuela will be happy here especially since you seem to be heavily pressured to live here by your husband. I liked to vacation in Florida but I never in a thousand years thought I would live here. Well here I am and I am happy.

Jazz, you are obviously quite bright and quite funny too and I bet you are well loved by people who know you. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the amazing and kind and positive people who live here.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-03-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:

Snip>...the World's Biggest High School....<Snip

Sincerely,
Boomer

Yep.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:08 AM

Best analogy ever!!! So well said, Boomer!

Last edited by crimeslayer; 01-03-2019 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimeslayer View Post
Yep...she nailed it!
Old 01-03-2019, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
First of all, a disclaimer: For those who have been around here for a while and are sensitive to anything they feel is aimed at their personal political opinions, that is not what I am doing here. I mention no party. I am attempting to address the question about what we Villagers know happens here sometimes. Incoming Villagers who want to know what to expect and how to navigate in peace deserve an opinion. So please do not have my post removed. It is not about you and your politics. It is about meeting new people in TV while avoiding political discussion.

Dear drjohns,

You will meet a few people who are constantly, and immediately, trying to insert their politics into every conversation or social occasion. They often will assume you are one of them because of how you look or what you have. (But that is true everywhere these days when meeting new people and even among old friends.)

In TV, I am quite good at what I call "The Driveway Dance" -- this dance can be done when meeting new neighbors, but also in places other than just on your street. (If you have ever been a good company wife, you already will know the dance steps.)

I do not find it to be worth being caught up in opposing political opinions. I choose not to engage.

(My choice to not engage in political discourse actually bothers me. I would love to have an actual discussion with someone who can tell me why they think as they do -- in their own words and from their individual experience. I do not like how divided we feel as a nation. But I choose my battles when it comes to our social life.)

I think of TV, affectionately, of course, as the World's Biggest High School. As the new kid, take your time.

You will meet some who are trying right away to determine your politics. Those are usually the most vocal, determined to know if you are one who gets to sit at their lunch table in the high school cafeteria. Their lunch table is the only place they want to be and they can seem angry at those who will not sit right there with them -- way over on whatever side of the high school cafeteria they need to sit..

But you are also going to meet people who feel just like you do.

Usually I can change the subject or graciously escape. There are times though when I know there is no chance that I want to know a person better -- because they would not like me. There are times when I have been known to say, with a smile, "I do not discuss politics." That seems to work most times and to some I say it to, I know it is a relief.

You will be just fine. Meanwhile, practice those "dance steps" and take your time as you enter "The Biggest High School in the World." (Please remember, oh sensitive ones, that I say this with affection and I really do know my way around high schools.)

Anyway, drjohns, you will find your place here. TV has many good things to offer -- and under a mostly blue sky.

Sincerely,
Boomer
Many people on this Forum never, ever, touch on politics in anyway. On this Forum. You and I aren't among them.

Most people do NOT EVER discuss politics in social gatherings here in The Villages.. I know I don't. You also say that.

I think the anonymity of this Forum allows people to say hurtful things. Especially if they are annoyed or someone pushes their button. Or they feel they represent a large group who think like they do. On this forum.

But most people do not discuss politics here in The Villages. Not in real social situations. Here. In The Villages. Where people know your real name.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-03-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimeslayer View Post

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.