Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:01 AM

I so agree with not bringing your furniture. I had a hard time leaving my Thomasville Collector Cherry Furniture. I knew it was way to heavy and presented a high monetary move expensive... My issue was purely getting over the emotional attachment. I did leave it and I am so very glad I did. I purchased lighter furniture in a coastal look. After 4 months I went into Bargains & treasures, Oxford Fl, and saw many of my pieces of furniture listed for $35 to $150 for sale second hand. WOW... if I would have brought it and know I would not have been happy I couldn't have even sold it for pennies on the dollar. So glad I didn't invest on moving it.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:00 PM
Sage

Avoid Tire Choice , and you will be much happier $$ wise & you won't get your car damaged
Old 02-19-2020, 08:19 AM
Default Oh that deep cleaning scam

Hello all
You make an appointment to take advantage of the free dental cleaning and x-rays in your medicare plan
you sit in a chair and wait for two hours only to be given an estimate for work you absolutely have to have done for $1700.

no thank you I was born at night but it wasn’t last night

I’m so happy to hear that there are honest ones in the villages
Thanks for the thread

QUOTE=graciegirl;641772]One of the things that new villagers don't do is to find a doctor and have their records transferred. It just isn't on your mind to do when you are not sick.

But many can tell you that health emergencies can occur at any time and it helps to have someone in possession of your records.

Do not ask me who to choose for a doctor. Ours is just o.k..Our dentist is so good that I hate to share.

O.K. Drs. Kathleen Williams and her partner at Palm Dental on 466 across from Crispers and next to Lang Eye. You owe me big time. I hope they don't get any busier than they are.

BE VERY CAREFUL of dentists. This is the first time I have lived in a place where they will scam you. There are a lot of unethical ones and dental hygienists too who want to deep clean you for over a thousand dollars.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-19-2020, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Before stepping of the kerb to execise 'you right of way' just check that there is not a car coming at 30mph.
Saves such a lot of paperwork, police and medics time, etc.!
Old 04-02-2020, 09:20 AM

We found the best water and lawn and any other person we needed, were NOT the ones that came banging on the door. Check out crimes against seniors they have a list of the good and bad. Wait at least 3 months for landscaping changes. When life is back to normal the master gardeners have time times when you can meet at the library building for advice.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkw1 View Post
We found the best water and lawn and any other person we needed, were NOT the ones that came banging on the door. Check out crimes against seniors they have a list of the good and bad. Wait at least 3 months for landscaping changes. When life is back to normal the master gardeners have time times when you can meet at the library building for advice.
A couple more options:

Buy a lawnmower and an edger if you don't already have one, and mow your own lawn. The lots here are very small and a well-maintained mower with decent horsepower can keep it tidy without much effort. Edgers are even easier to use once you get the hang of it.

If you're buying a pre-owned home, decide if you like how it's been maintained up til the time you moved in. If you like it, use whatever service the previous owners used. They will know your property's lawn and landscaping needs better than anyone else.
Old 04-11-2020, 03:24 PM

It is good to check out the many great things being sold at the Marion Market-I especially like the fresh vegetables and plants--and lots of specialty items . BUT! Do NOT hire tradesmen advertising there to do expensive work for you unless you thoroughly vet them. We got stung badly by a landscaper we hired there to do extensive work for us and we discovered to our dismay that the photos he had on display at the Market were not even of his own work--he was lying. The people he brought in to take down a tree and widen the driveway didn't know what they were doing and I wound up with badly poured concrete with a busted sprinkler pipe underneath it. Major headaches. The planter stones also were improperly done, we had to have them all taken up and re-installed.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finchs View Post
It is good to check out the many great things being sold at the Marion Market-I especially like the fresh vegetables and plants--and lots of specialty items . BUT! Do NOT hire tradesmen advertising there to do expensive work for you unless you thoroughly vet them. We got stung badly by a landscaper we hired there to do extensive work for us and we discovered to our dismay that the photos he had on display at the Market were not even of his own work--he was lying. The people he brought in to take down a tree and widen the driveway didn't know what they were doing and I wound up with badly poured concrete with a busted sprinkler pipe underneath it. Major headaches. The planter stones also were improperly done, we had to have them all taken up and re-installed.
And to all new Villagers, you are required to get approval from the Architectural Review Committee (ARC) before you start any landscaping and driveway modification work as described in the above post.
And only honest and reputable landscapers and contractors will remind you of this requirement and be willing to prepare the documents you will need to submit (drawings, details, plant lists, and revised property site plans).
Old 05-06-2020, 07:39 AM

Hello. We’re new homeowners as of April. For those of you who are seasonal residents, at what temperature do you set your thermostat and do you leave any ceiling fans on low? Thanks.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneostling View Post
Hello. We’re new homeowners as of April. For those of you who are seasonal residents, at what temperature do you set your thermostat and do you leave any ceiling fans on low? Thanks.
When we were seasonal residents and left our home for a long period of time, we set the temperature on 83. We did not leave on any ceiling fans, but we left on a few light.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Gutters across the back were the first thing we installed on our new home. This was because the rain was bouncing off the ground and splashing into the lanai. The gutters took care of that problem immediately.

Then we notice staining beginning on the driveway from water running off the garage roof. So up went gutters across the garage. we didn't gutter the sides or the front (other than what was there over the front porch) as we hope the rain will help water the landscaping.

We used the lanai for six months and bounced landscaping ideas back and forth. We finally came up with what we wanted most--something beautiful to look at when sitting back there. The front is landscaped too, but we really concentrated on the back, where we would see and enjoy it most.

One more thing--at the risk of starting another poop thread!--IF you bring a dog, keep it off of other people's property, pick up after it, and don't deposit bags of poop in the trash cans at the mailbox centers--PLEASE!
Thank you@dogs....seriously
Old 05-13-2020, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneostling View Post
I would set the thermostat at about 80 degrees. I don't think it is a good idea to leave ceiling fans on because they could overheat and cause a fire.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:22 AM

Hi to you both. I grew up in Pittsford, and moved here 10 years ago, and love it. Best of luck
Old 08-05-2020, 05:53 PM

Be sure to read and understand your deed restrictions as to what you can do or can't.
Also, check to see if your utility box (if any) is not obscured with landscape.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:13 AM

I like what you said above..but in the new village of Bradford, we are one of the first ones in..we have no neighbors to ask for lawn care..any suggestions?..

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.