Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Beware the clever and sneaky water system salespeople! They will phone and mail solicitations under all sorts of fake identities, but when you question and press, they'll finally fess up to being water system sales. And they are relentless in their persistence. My father recently bought a house and he has been bombarded for two months now, despite repeatedly telling the phone soliciters 'No thanks', and throwing away the mail disguised as all sorts of government and official looking important papers. Geez, what an irritating group they are!
Yes, they are and not needed. They bothered us too for a couple of months and finally has stopped.
Old 09-02-2020, 08:42 AM

TV is generally loaded with small contractors of every kind, that like to take advantage of newcomers.

Beware, get quotes, check references, never pay up front.

Never fill out any forms from door knockers
Old 09-02-2020, 01:09 PM
Location: Native to West Palm Beach, FL I am renting current home, yet to decide if TV will be next move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neils View Post
Never fill out any forms from door knockers
It amazes me how much door to door salespeople traffic there is in TV, I have been renting only a couple of weeks and it's VERY annoying. I have a fix and it's working very good, I have a temporary sign i put on my door, it's small from the street but as you walk up to my front door its very EASY to read, it has only TWO words in bright red:

NO SOLICITING

When some idiot rings the doorbell more than once or rings followed by a knock I may go to the door as a courtesy. When I open the door, I flash a very big and friendly smile followed by slowly moving my right hand to direct their attention and eyes to the sign on the door. Not one word is spoken as I slowly close the door. So far it has worked to perfection!
Old 09-02-2020, 06:57 PM

We currently live in Avon, NY (snowbirds) but did live in Gates, for years. We bought a new home in Marsh Bend in March and just love it. Hopefully you'll sell the house in Rochester, get away from the terrible winters, and come on down to TV. Great place to live and enjoy retirement.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:25 AM

Use the internet and shop around for deals on things like golf carts. The shops and stores in The Villages are not the only answer to products.

If you are having your home custom built make sure the wiring for the ceiling fans includes separate switches for the fan and a (optional) light kit for the fan. It will save a lot of frustration over the long run of having to install a remote control or switch at a later time.

Your appliances are new. They can get covered under an extended warranty. There is no need to scrap everything just because it is not "upscale". Keep your carpet for a year or two while you shop around for great deals on something you may want to replace it with. That also gives you a chance to read up on contractors.

If you do not move with any furniture, bear in mind that it can take up to 2 months to get a bed and mattress that you want, or that perfect living room furniture set. It is so much better not to be rushed into anything because you moved in with no furniture. Do not be afraid to use the consignment shops to sell your old furniture.

Look for an independent home inspector to check over your home. The inspector will find problems quicker than you will and then you can coordinate any problems being fixed with the Home Warranty department. Pay attention to the crawl spaces, roof and insulation.

Do not jump into landscaping. It should be the last thing you work on. Give time for the ground to settle. Find out where the lines run and MAKE SURE THE CONNECTIONS HAVE BEEN GLUED!!! (mine were not!)

Get the blueprints for your house. The blueprints will detail plumbing, electric, stud distances and so much more.

Get outside The Villages to gain a perspective on where you are. There are so many great events and shopping adventures in the surrounding area that are not advertised in publications like The Daily Sun.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Let's do a thread with some advice for newbies, things to do and NOT to do when you first move here.

First I will say not to buy from the door pounders who come to you in the weeks right after you move in. Not because they are all unworthy contractors, but some of them are, and nothing, NOTHING has to be done at once. Take your time and wait for changes to water supply, adding pest treatments, painting driveways or even if you will add downspouts to the back of your home. Wait to see who your neighbors use for lawn maintainance.

Please jump in here and add your comments here everyone.
such good advice.... also stairs to attic, many types, many contractors, look at your neighbor's first, etc. I definitely did NOT want an enclosed lanai, but I did let someone talk me into doing a "knee wall" soon after the house was finished. What a mistake ! Never did drain correctly and FAST after that, only served to hold in moisture and make mold. When it was screen ALL the way down, it drained off rain instantly, dried very quickly since the sun could then show through the screen to the floor. The main reason I was given to do this was: "keeps out the dust and dirt much better". Up to you who read this, but for me, so much harder to hose off after the knee wall, and difficult to get all the water to run off. Another tip, since most things never really stop growing, roots from trees, shrubs, large plants can really get out of hand more than in northern states with longer dormant periods. Think out how many and where you locate them.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySkies View Post
It amazes me how much door to door salespeople traffic there is in TV, I have been renting only a couple of weeks and it's VERY annoying. I have a fix and it's working very good, I have a temporary sign i put on my door, it's small from the street but as you walk up to my front door its very EASY to read, it has only TWO words in bright red:

NO SOLICITING

When some idiot rings the doorbell more than once or rings followed by a knock I may go to the door as a courtesy. When I open the door, I flash a very big and friendly smile followed by slowly moving my right hand to direct their attention and eyes to the sign on the door. Not one word is spoken as I slowly close the door. So far it has worked to perfection!
I find it really upsetting that so many UNINVITED people leave cards stuck in the door to give a clear message of "on vacation, no one here" to all who see this accumulate at the front door. It's a shame we have to impose on a neighbor to keep removing this when we are gone. Lately, with this virus going around, I have "thought" of printing a sign "VIRUS, do not approach door". But many times I am outside, in the yard, etc. and they begin to approach and I hold up my hand and say " SEE the landlord, I have nothing to do with that. Of course I have no "landlord", LOL, and, no one has EVER asked me for a number they can call....LOL ! Actually over the years it seems to have gone from less than once or twice a MONTH, to several a week. Guess we got a reputation as a good target. I do admire people who are trying to build a business and life for themselves and are willing to face rejection and maybe even abuse and do the hard work of building up a clientele, but it really gets annoying when it is nearly everyday, I agree.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:16 PM
Smile Dont ship your furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
before you move take a long hard look at your furniture and decide whether you really want the same in your new home in TV. I can't tell you how many new residents wind up getting new furniture becuase it is time or it doesn't go in the new house as well or it is not a Florida-ie or just because.

We for one could have saved time and money by bringing our master bedroom and guest furniture only. Sell, pass on, give away and don't pay to move it.

When it comes to golf carts take your time to comparison shop.

CHeck with your neighbors for the various services they use. Many of us have had to trial and error find ones we are satisfied with.

As has been stated already beware/ignore the door knockers....especially the ones who want to trim your trees and bushes whether they need them or not.

btk
I agree. It may be cheaper to sell your furniture and buy new than ship it here. as stated above, in many cases you'll find it doesn't fit. Take a look at Bargains and Treasures or Almost Perfect and you'll find northern furniture for sale. we sold almost everything except for 4 pieces and were able to get most of our stuff in a 15Ft U haul. Furnishing the new home cost less than we anticipated and we are glad we chose not to keep our old stuff.

Also, if you have a mortgage on your new home you will be inundated with mail from companies offering bi monthly mortgages, etc. Most of these are scams but look legitimate because they'll include info like your mortgage number (from public records). In one case the company used the letterhead from the First Citizens Bank and we reported it.

Take your time with all of your decisions. You are retired after all and time is on your side.

we have used Talk of the Villages, Nextdoor.com, and The Villages Homeowner Advocates for information in addition to our very helpful and friendly neighbors.

When we arrived our neighbors advised us to take it slow with joining clubs and activities. I guess a lot of people overdo and have to cut back later. It was good advice as it is too easy to find things to do here, but there is also nothing wrong with trying things on for size and changing later.

we have had the most difficulty with medical care. It seems it ought to be easy with all the choices but it isn't. If you qualify you should check out The Villages VA clinic. It is one of the best in the VA system.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:24 AM

Hi, Just moved in to Buttonwood on Thursday. Garage door problem. (Sorry can't find directions for posting a new thread.) My neighbor's garage door opener is opening my door. Mine doesn't open hers. Is there a way to reprogram my garage door opener?

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 10-07-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulat585 View Post
Hi, Just moved in to Buttonwood on Thursday. Garage door problem. (Sorry can't find directions for posting a new thread.) My neighbor's garage door opener is opening my door. Mine doesn't open hers. Is there a way to reprogram my garage door opener?
Call the warranty dept. They will send Romac out within a day or two to fix it.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:30 AM

Very good advice, I want to add slowly to the house so that I can continue to fall in love with the house with each change and update
Old 10-09-2020, 07:43 PM

Thanks, but this is a resale house, built in 2012. My brother is coming down next week. Maybe he can reprogram it.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 10-14-2020, 11:15 AM

Greece..NY
Old 10-16-2020, 09:28 AM

This is a wonderful idea. I just moved in and still don't have the furniture I ordered(until end of NOV). I have a question about the country clubs, besides golf is there a reason to join? I see they have restaurants as well, how much is it to join each & is it worth it?
Old 10-16-2020, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,352 Times in 2,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfree1411@aol.com View Post
This is a wonderful idea. I just moved in and still don't have the furniture I ordered(until end of NOV). I have a question about the country clubs, besides golf is there a reason to join? I see they have restaurants as well, how much is it to join each & is it worth it?
Once a resident of The Villages, you are automatically a member at all of our country club facilities. Each offers a fully-stocked golf shop, well-maintained and challenging golf courses and a staff that is hometown friendly. There are no dues or minimums to pay. No initiation fees. Just choose the course you would like to play through our tee time reservation system and pay the appropriate greens fee each time you play (there is no additional charge to use your personal golf car on the Championship Courses). It's as easy as that

Couple other web sites with helpful information.

Golf The Villages
Village Community Development Districts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.