Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Old 10-09-2020, 07:43 PM

Thanks, but this is a resale house, built in 2012. My brother is coming down next week. Maybe he can reprogram it.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 10-14-2020, 11:15 AM

Greece..NY
Old 10-16-2020, 09:28 AM

This is a wonderful idea. I just moved in and still don't have the furniture I ordered(until end of NOV). I have a question about the country clubs, besides golf is there a reason to join? I see they have restaurants as well, how much is it to join each & is it worth it?
Old 10-16-2020, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,130 Times in 552 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfree1411@aol.com View Post
This is a wonderful idea. I just moved in and still don't have the furniture I ordered(until end of NOV). I have a question about the country clubs, besides golf is there a reason to join? I see they have restaurants as well, how much is it to join each & is it worth it?
Once a resident of The Villages, you are automatically a member at all of our country club facilities. Each offers a fully-stocked golf shop, well-maintained and challenging golf courses and a staff that is hometown friendly. There are no dues or minimums to pay. No initiation fees. Just choose the course you would like to play through our tee time reservation system and pay the appropriate greens fee each time you play (there is no additional charge to use your personal golf car on the Championship Courses). It's as easy as that

Couple other web sites with helpful information.

Golf The Villages
Village Community Development Districts
Old 10-16-2020, 09:33 AM
Sage
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfree1411@aol.com View Post
There is no membership to eat at any of the golf course restaurants. They are open to the public.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:51 PM

For those yet to move. An old formula in the moving industry is that you can get 6.5 pounds of household goods +/- per square foot of "under roof" house. (Not including the garage and Lanai) For example, if you buy a 2,,000 square foot house you can fit no more than 13,500 pounds. When your mover does their estimate, they will tell you how much the items you are moving weigh. Don't move stuff that will not fit. As stated by previous posters, bring less not more. If the budget allows, bring the good stuff and replace the rest when you get here.

Last edited by brohrig; 10-17-2020 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Wrong post
Old 10-17-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
All the cell phone numbers I gave out during the building process will be changed when we move full time to TV. I never give out my unlisted land line number to anyone except friends and family. That should stop the vendor calls.
Great suggestions. Question, we're coming from WA in 2022 and want a copper landline, any recommendations of which companies have real copper landlines? Thanks
Old 10-18-2020, 10:50 AM

I agree to a point, but some of door knockers are legiment low pressure sales people who need new sales to support our families. I'm understanding that you would rather we not work and rely on support from public agencies

Last edited by Grumps1361; 10-18-2020 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Spelling grammar adjusts
Old 10-19-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyandPeter View Post
Great suggestions. Question, we're coming from WA in 2022 and want a copper landline, any recommendations of which companies have real copper landlines? Thanks
We moved from Oregon this past year, to the area south of 44; the village of Marsh Bend.

We kept our cell phone numbers (503 area code) and we have two Google Voice numbers (free, one 503 and one 352). Son and daughter-in-law who live in Georgia are on our plan and have Oregon 503 phone numbers.

Copper land lines (POTS - plain old telephone service) is available, but not necessary.

We have Panasonic cordless telephone handsets spread around the house that have "link to cell" capability, so we can answer either cell phone with the cordless handsets. Don't miss the copper land line at all.

We can program the Google phone numbers to ring thru to any phone number.

There really isn't much need for POTS phone numbers these days. Even the cable/internet companies use different technology to implement phone service these days.
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 10-25-2020, 09:32 AM
Default Thumb drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
In addition I suggest a thumb drive with you at all times.
Last time we moved our doctor sugested we get a thumb drive that had a medic-alert symbol on it and add it to our keys. If something happens when traveling you have all right at hand and emts look for medic alets.
We scanned in the medical files and had a file titled emergency overview at the top listing meds alergies pre existing conditions etc. When my husband had a cardiac problem the nurse took the drive plugged it into the computer and transfered the whole lot into a file with his name on it. No waiting for a link to the files from the doctor etc. Some doctors nurses will set the drive up for you for a fee. But there are two types one that is just a blank thumb with medical markings and the other has software with questions to answer included.

Just a thought
I work in Health Information (Medical Records). Thumb drives are great for getting your records on your personal PC. The problem with thumb drives is that they can spread computer viruses. A lot of facilities have security that will not allow you to use them. A bulkier solution is a CD but again not everyone has a CD drive or the correct software to use them. I am the person in my large multihospital network that downloads all of the CDs. My one suggestion is that you never ever need to request your entire medical record unless you are suing someone. Ask for an abstract or pertinent information including recent labs, radiology reports and dictation from hospitals. Add medication and allergy information from primary care. That should cover everything you need.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.