Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Don't panic about rumors.

Do NOT believe rumors. We do rumors as well as a hundred thousand people with time on their hands can do. We excel at them. We jump, leap and catapault to conclusions and we are excellent at theories of all kinds.

If you want to know the truth, call Janet Tutts office, or the Daily Sun or send a PM to Village07. I have NEVER known her to post any incorrect information.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:44 PM
Location: Polo Ridge TV via New Hampshire, Isles of Shoals, Maryland and Massachusetts

This is a great post - thanks to Gracie and all who contributed!! Hope to be there in about a year!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy steam View Post
Great advice, one other thing, I used bright house for my phone service and they advised me to have my number unlisted. I did and I have not received phone calls from people looking to sell me anything.
The only negative to having an unlisted number is the fact that you won't be in the Villages phone book.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Gold member

Thank you GG and to all who gave such great advice.

Posting this for two reasons:
1) Just bought in Hillsborough and will be up in a few months.
2) "Bumping" so others may give their advice !!!!

Keep the advice coming - it is REALLY HELPFUL !!

Old 06-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Veteran member

Before you pick any service tell them NO money till job completed to your satisfaction. Landscapers are notorious for one half down.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:27 AM
Veteran member

We just spent 2 weeks in our new Designer Home in the Village of Fernandina setting up media equipment, kitchen essentials, linens, bedrooms, etc......and am interested in Gracie's comment about waiting to add Gutters in rear of house at patio area..........as this was one of our concerns that we were going to address as a first priority. Seems gutters were installed in front only.

Also the model of home we purchased lends itself to screen enclosing the front area thus providing an ideal outdoor seating area that would catch morning sun. Was thinking an added attraction would be to open front door and lanai door to allow cross ventilation during cooler season.

Any thoughts about screening and/or adding gutters?
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had enough time before to truly appreciate the beauty of my grandchild, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriaGrandparents2013 View Post
We just spent 2 weeks in our new Designer Home in the Village of Fernandina setting up media equipment, kitchen essentials, linens, bedrooms, etc......and am interested in Gracie's comment about waiting to add Gutters in rear of house at patio area..........as this was one of our concerns that we were going to address as a first priority. Seems gutters were installed in front only.

Also the model of home we purchased lends itself to screen enclosing the front area thus providing an ideal outdoor seating area that would catch morning sun. Was thinking an added attraction would be to open front door and lanai door to allow cross ventilation during cooler season.

Any thoughts about screening and/or adding gutters?
All homes here come with front gutters only. I believe that is because they REALLY aren't needed anywhere, other than when you emerge from the front of your home during a rain, the drip off would fall on your head. Up north most gutters are to direct the rain away from the foundation because there are so many basements. Many folks who install gutters will argue that you need to have that moisture away from your house so as not to breed termites. Well the base soil most everywhere around here is sand and sand really absorbs water and quickly wicks it everywhere. I know this because I taught kindergarten for thirty years and I have a graduate degree in sandbox. I think the termite thing is a bit of a scare tactic, but I could be wrong and frequently am. They treat a new house for termites and it should be protected for several years and most people buy the termite protection too.

AND we just got gutters installed for less than five hundred dollars and they did a terrific job and the only difference we can see is that now the water doesn't sheet off the back of the house but runs through gutters and comes out the spout. It disappears almost immediately both before and after the gutters and in five minutes, unless you have a low spot, you can't tell it rained.

I don't know why we had them installed now that we did.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:57 AM
Veteran member

As far as phone numbers are concerned, sign up for Gmail and then get a Google Voice phone number, it's free. You can give that number out and control it from Google. You can have forwarded to your regular number and it will tell you who is calling (it requires the person say a name before it forwards the call). I use it for my house that I am renting right now and it lets me screen out unwanted calls. You can also use it to make calls, so they can not "capture" your number.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:00 AM

Gracie-

((I taught kindergarten for thirty years and I have a graduate degree in sandbox.))

I loved your comment. I enjoy reading all your posts!
I also taught elementary school for 32 yrs- K to 6th grade.
Once we arrive in the villages, I hope we have the occasion to meet.
We are currently trying to sell our place in MA. Once sold, we'll rent a CYV and start the hunt to buy.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Gutters across the back were the first thing we installed on our new home. This was because the rain was bouncing off the ground and splashing into the lanai. The gutters took care of that problem immediately.

Then we notice staining beginning on the driveway from water running off the garage roof. So up went gutters across the garage. we didn't gutter the sides or the front (other than what was there over the front porch) as we hope the rain will help water the landscaping.

We used the lanai for six months and bounced landscaping ideas back and forth. We finally came up with what we wanted most--something beautiful to look at when sitting back there. The front is landscaped too, but we really concentrated on the back, where we would see and enjoy it most.

One more thing--at the risk of starting another poop thread!--IF you bring a dog, keep it off of other people's property, pick up after it, and don't deposit bags of poop in the trash cans at the mailbox centers--PLEASE!
Old 06-14-2013, 08:07 AM
Sage
Default Save time and energy

Especially if you are building, get the "messy" things done before you move in, like the garage floor, crown moulding and painting. If you are changing counter tops or flooring try to get that done prior to moving in as well. It will save you from having to move furniture and avoid a mess throughout your home with stuff in it. The house is easier to work on and clean when empty. Also, if you are having multiple contractors in to do things, keep a calendar with who's coming and what time. It will get very confusing if you don't and you may miss an appointment. Lastly, when having contractors in your house, make sure you put away your purse, wallet and valuables.....you never know. Have fun with the whole experience!
Old 06-14-2013, 08:16 AM

Yes I use Google Voice/Chat as well.
If you have a particularly annoying caller you can program it so if they call again they hear a "This number no longer in service" message. You can have custom voicemail messages for every different number if you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
As far as phone numbers are concerned, sign up for Gmail and then get a Google Voice phone number, it's free. You can give that number out and control it from Google. You can have forwarded to your regular number and it will tell you who is calling (it requires the person say a name before it forwards the call). I use it for my house that I am renting right now and it lets me screen out unwanted calls. You can also use it to make calls, so they can not "capture" your number.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
All homes here come with front gutters only. I believe that is because they REALLY aren't needed anywhere, other than when you emerge from the front of your home during a rain, the drip off would fall on your head. Up north most gutters are to direct the rain away from the foundation because there are so many basements. Many folks who install gutters will argue that you need to have that moisture away from your house so as not to breed termites. Well the base soil most everywhere around here is sand and sand really absorbs water and quickly wicks it everywhere. I know this because I taught kindergarten for thirty years and I have a graduate degree in sandbox. I think the termite thing is a bit of a scare tactic, but I could be wrong and frequently am. They treat a new house for termites and it should be protected for several years and most people buy the termite protection too.

AND we just got gutters installed for less than five hundred dollars and they did a terrific job and the only difference we can see is that now the water doesn't sheet off the back of the house but runs through gutters and comes out the spout. It disappears almost immediately both before and after the gutters and in five minutes, unless you have a low spot, you can't tell it rained.

I don't know why we had them installed now that we did.
I purchased a cottage home a year ago and it did not include gutters. Told they were not needed. After a few rains had stains in the front and rear walkways and rain pouring in as you entered the house.
I called the warranty department and they recommended a village builder who cost less then $500 and $1,100 less than having the big box vendor install!
Old 06-14-2013, 08:43 AM
Sage
As was mentioned in a pervious post, try to get together with your neighbors and hire the same lawn maintenance company, especially if you will be away for any extended period. It is easy for a company to skip one house once in awhile, but not easy to skip a whole neighborhood.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:14 AM
Gold member

Watch out for the phony welcome to the villages lady! She will tell you she is from the villages just to get into your home . She has a basket full of little trinkets that are all linked to company's who are selling stuff and she also is trying to push a water softening company. Don't let her in the front door . I asked her to leave around 5 minutes into her act. You have lots of time to find the right contractors to get things done around here. You might want to use Angie's List to see what contractors are recomended in this area.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.