Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 05-09-2021, 05:35 AM

We are new owners but not FT until 2022. This is something we learned when starting to think about getting our own golf cart:

1) The Villages Golf Cart stores are so busy with service requests that they were no longer servicing golf carts that were not purchased at their stores. They simply decided that they needed to take care of their own customers first. I have to agree with them. That convinced us that we will buy from them.

2) If you buy a very good pre-owned and certified golf cart, it will be cheaper but it also comes with only a three year warranty. If you buy new, it may be as much as 2-5k more but you will get brand new, you can order it just as you want and it comes with a five year warranty. That convinced us that we will budget and buy new.

3) If you buy new, it takes about a month to order the cart and have it ready. They will give you a free loaner during that time.

Last edited by Lisa22; 05-09-2021 at 05:37 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 05-09-2021, 08:12 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlheinz19@yahoo.com View Post
We are closing next week on a newly built home but not moving until March/April. I contacted one of the companies that does yard maintenance and pest control.
How much of this stuff do we need to have done before we move down?
Obviously mowing but can we wait on everything else?

$85 a week to mow and weed. $75 a week for just mowing
$75 a quarter for pest control
$47 a month for landscaping
$62 bi-monthly for lawn and shrub maintenance
$50 a quarter for irrigation maintenance
You must have an enormous yard. We're on a cul-de-sac in Belvidere and we pay a service $55 a MONTH to mow weekly and he does all the lawns, trims and blows it. Does a great job.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:21 AM

I am a native Floridian, been drinking the water since 1948, still alive.
The expensive palm trees are not natural Florida, look around Fenney recreation center and Fenney Spring, to see natural Florida.
Get the lawn service the majority of your neighbors have and you won't hear lawn mowers every day of the week.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:08 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

does anyone know who you report cart path's that need repair to?
Old 05-17-2021, 05:22 AM

Don’t run out a by all new furniture. Your first selection may not be the best. Our first sofa and matching chairs is now relocated to the Lani. The new set fits main living room space much better.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhenefeld View Post
All this is really good info for someone who will be moving to TV in late summer or early fall. I have a question. How much time do I need to spend there when looking to buy a house? We would like to rent a house in July or Aug. but don't know if we need a whole month or just a couple of weeks. Any sugguestions?
I would suggest taking about 3 months. TV Land is big and complex.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1 View Post
I am a native Floridian, been drinking the water since 1948, still alive.
The expensive palm trees are not natural Florida, look around Fenney recreation center and Fenney Spring, to see natural Florida.
Get the lawn service the majority of your neighbors have and you won't hear lawn mowers every day of the week.
If they were using good mufflers, you would NOT hear them. I NEVER understood WHY the Villages did NOT require quiet lawnmowers. I have cut grass with battery-powered Ryobi lawn mowers that were very quiet.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:00 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
If they were using good mufflers, you would NOT hear them. I NEVER understood WHY the Villages did NOT require quiet lawnmowers. I have cut grass with battery-powered Ryobi lawn mowers that were very quiet.
You already know the answer to this. There are no known electric lawn tools that can handle commercial lawn service without having a fresh battery for every one or two houses serviced.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:37 AM
Smile moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Let's do a thread with some advice for newbies, things to do and NOT to do when you first move here.

First I will say not to buy from the door pounders who come to you in the weeks right after you move in. Not because they are all unworthy contractors, but some of them are, and nothing, NOTHING has to be done at once. Take your time and wait for changes to water supply, adding pest treatments, painting driveways or even if you will add downspouts to the back of your home. Wait to see who your neighbors use for lawn maintainance.

Please jump in here and add your comments here everyone.
I have to say, for the $ I spent to move my furniture to my new home, wasn't worth it. I could of bought all brand new for the same price. Most homes come furnished except brand new. Sell, give to charity..
Old 06-15-2021, 09:06 PM

We are still looking for a good real estate agent. We need both an MLS and a Village rep. Any recommendations?
Old 06-16-2021, 06:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,177 Times in 4,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Ann Vinci Igoe View Post
I have to say, for the $ I spent to move my furniture to my new home, wasn't worth it. I could of bought all brand new for the same price. Most homes come furnished except brand new. Sell, give to charity..
Most homes come furnished?

Of the dozen, or so, re-sales we looked at, only 1 came furnished...

-Tom Petty
Old 06-16-2021, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Most homes come furnished?

Of the dozen, or so, re-sales we looked at, only 1 came furnished...
You are so right and I would be redoing and throwing out right away. Most people whose homes I have visited are very proud of their homes and each is welcoming in it's own way. Most people want their OWN stamp on their homes.
Old 08-24-2021, 05:01 PM
Default Plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigallis1 View Post
All good advice here folks. Thank's......
My wife and I hope to be residents within the next year.
Got a home to sell in Rochester, NY first.
Remember, the same plants you loved up north probably do not do well here, look for Florida zoned plants.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:50 AM
Default Furnishing a whole house

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalpm View Post
Thanks for all of your posts. We're moving into a new build in 3 weeks and need all the advice we can get. Hired a landscaper for 3 months to look after place till we get there hoping that will give us time to talk to other residents before we make a permanent decision. So glad to hear your comments re: furniture. We are only bringing bedroom set and tv. not using moving co but renting a truck, towing one car, driving the other. Tell me it gets better...so much to do!!
When we closed I went directly to the local Brownwood furniture store and ordered an entire house of furniture. Never do that all at once and at the same store. I know covid had some input on delivery of the order, but I was told everything but the dining room furniture was readily available and the dining furniture would be in the end of October (last year); just took delivery last week 11 months later. I've had nothing but delays, mixed up timing, fired salesperson (I've worked with two different managers, three different sales people). Reorders, etc., etc. all while back up north. My advice is to shop around to different furniture stores. I ordered a sleeper sofa from Baers Furniture while I was back up north. It was delivered as promised, on time. Excellent follow up by Mary, who sent me email updates. We also checked out stuff for sale on this site, we purchased a patio table and chairs from some folks and have been using that for dining furniture. Also check out the resale shops. I purchased a very nice chair and ottoman since we had nothing but lawn chairs.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Yep, someone trying to sell you a water softener.

Bill
In your opinion, do we need a water softener added?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.