Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 09-27-2021, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,426 Times in 3,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversong View Post
In your opinion, do we need a water softener added?
I don't know about all of the Villages (since it's 70 square miles large) but up in the Historic section, our water is somewhat "hard." You can get around that with small cartridge filters under the sink, and soaking your shower head in vinegar and water solution every couple of months, and descaling your coffeemaker every few months.

Or, you could buy a whole house filter. But they're expensive, take up space that might be needed for something else, are unsightly since they don't fit behind a cabinet door, and expensive to maintain.

An under-sink Filtrete system is around $60 for the initial filter and connection stuff (per sink), and replacement cartridges run around $30 that you switch out every 5-6 months. You can install it yourself.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,348 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I don't know about all of the Villages (since it's 70 square miles large) but up in the Historic section, our water is somewhat "hard." You can get around that with small cartridge filters under the sink, and soaking your shower head in vinegar and water solution every couple of months, and descaling your coffeemaker every few months.

Or, you could buy a whole house filter. But they're expensive, take up space that might be needed for something else, are unsightly since they don't fit behind a cabinet door, and expensive to maintain.

An under-sink Filtrete system is around $60 for the initial filter and connection stuff (per sink), and replacement cartridges run around $30 that you switch out every 5-6 months. You can install it yourself.
A water filter does not provide soft water.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:59 AM
Default Yard Service in Citrus Grove

Can you recommend a yard service provider to me?

Can you recommend a water treatment system Company?

Insect control?

I move in at the end of Oct.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,377 Times in 2,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullys View Post
Can you recommend a yard service provider to me?

Can you recommend a water treatment system Company?

Insect control?

I move in at the end of Oct.
We have Massey for lawn and pest control and are not unhappy with them. You will find that whatever company someone recommends, someone else will say they dropped them recently. Search these forums for Massey and Dean's and you should find a few threads that mention several lawn companies.

We find the water to be good without any water treatment system. The water in our area is softer than where we came from and tastes fine. Other areas may be different. You can find the yearly water quality tests done by the county off the districtgov.org page under Departments and Utilities.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-05-2021, 08:11 AM

DO NOT use the authorized dealers for mobile/cell service around here. Make sure you are going to a corporate store, or deal with them directly through the corp website/phone line.

Keep your pets close, especially around the outskirts and in the newer areas because there are coyotes, bobcats, alligators etc. Our dog (25-30 pounds) was attacked and spent 3 days in the animal hospital. The coyotes are killing machines but they are not a danger to people unless rabid. They will scurry off when they see a person. They are extremely cunning, I've seen a video of one acting like it wanted to play with the dog, and then it went in for the kill after gaining the dog's trust... it was shocking. Do remember that this was the wildlife's home first, we are intruders. The development happens FAST here and it's a real shock to the wildlife that has little time to adapt to the changes. Don't put out traps, etc just be smart, extra cautious dusk - dawn.
Old 11-08-2021, 12:22 PM
Default water filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Beware the clever and sneaky water system salespeople! They will phone and mail solicitations under all sorts of fake identities, but when you question and press, they'll finally fess up to being water system sales. And they are relentless in their persistence. My father recently bought a house and he has been bombarded for two months now, despite repeatedly telling the phone soliciters 'No thanks', and throwing away the mail disguised as all sorts of government and official looking important papers. Geez, what an irritating group they are!
What is it about the water that causes people to want filters?
Old 11-08-2021, 05:23 PM

am when your are in your new home look for dog poop be for you mow
Old 11-10-2021, 07:14 AM

Any advice on local movers. I will be purchasing my home in TV in a couple of weeks. I want to purchase temporary furniture from private seller or consignment. Any recommendations for local furniture movers
Old 12-08-2021, 11:53 PM

Wondering if any Risk players around?
Old 12-09-2021, 04:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ SLIM View Post
What is it about the water that causes people to want filters?
It stinks and tastes like swimming pool water.
The only way to survive, is filtered or bottled water!
Old 12-09-2021, 06:38 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
But don't buy from the people who show up at your door step.
Old 12-24-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I never buy bottled water; I filter it and that is good enough. When you buy
bottled water, you're paying for plastic, and the waste that is produced is just out of control. We are blessed to have drinkable water; there are so many places where that is simply not true!
I am not a tree-hugger but it is irresponsible to contribute to the plastic waste !
5 Reasons Not to Drink Bottled Water
Old 12-24-2021, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,647 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarwen3 View Post
I never buy bottled water; I filter it and that is good enough. When you buy
bottled water, you're paying for plastic, and the waste that is produced is just out of control. We are blessed to have drinkable water; there are so many places where that is simply not true!
I am not a tree-hugger but it is irresponsible to contribute to the plastic waste !
5 Reasons Not to Drink Bottled Water
Isn't all trash in The Villages (plastic and otherwise) incinerated?
Old 12-24-2021, 10:48 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

I drink bottled and filtered water out of the fridge. This is a personal choice and doesn't need to be addressed in this thread. The water is drinkable out of the tap, enough said.
Old 12-26-2021, 10:32 AM
Default Junk mail

=Parker;641609]Beware the clever and sneaky water system salespeople! They will phone and mail solicitations under all sorts of fake identities, but when you question and press, they'll finally fess up to being water system sales. And they are relentless in their persistence. My father recently bought a house and he has been bombarded for two months now, despite repeatedly telling the phone soliciters 'No thanks', and throwing away the mail disguised as all sorts of government and official looking important papers. Geez, what an irritating group they are![/QUOTE]

Write on the envelope RETURN TO SENDER and drop it in out going mail. If they send an envelope for a replay stuff the envelope with pieces of newspaper over stuff it and they will have to pay additional fees for over stuffed mail

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.