Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 12-26-2021, 02:23 PM

before you buy look around. there are many places similar to this place without the hidden fees that no one tells you about, fewer restrictions, better quality homes and much nicer people. i can't wait to get out, 6 more months.
Old 12-26-2021, 03:31 PM

What hidden fees? Also, I'm going to be surprised if you find different people in another retirement area.

You can have bad neighbors but that is just the luck of the draw anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frose View Post
before you buy look around. there are many places similar to this place without the hidden fees that no one tells you about, fewer restrictions, better quality homes and much nicer people. i can't wait to get out, 6 more months.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsmith View Post
Hi to you both. I grew up in Pittsford, and moved here 10 years ago, and love it. Best of luck
Pittsford NY? That's where I grew up, at least for a while. Great little town.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:47 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,730 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
As billiethekid said, think about buying new furniture here instead of paying so much to ship tired, outdated furniture.

The consignment shops here are full of things that are in good shape but extremely dated, and much of it cost the owner a bundle to ship it here and then it did not fit or did not do justice to a sparkling, fresh new or pre-owned home here.
NOT saying this is poor advice, only want to bring out some other things to consider ! No matter where you go, you will simply not be able to buy (at any price, and the prices are high) furniture of comparable quality. Many of you may have made in the USA (in the Carolina's area), high quality furniture with "dove tailed" construction, solid, not cardboard backings, and very sturdy metal door glides, high quality hardware, and on and on and on. No matter how much you can afford to pay, you will not find anything ever a tad close to well made hardwood furniture. Now, that may not even matter to you, but something to consider. Also, keep in mind, if you worry about having the latest "style", almost any furniture (even dark heavy woods) can be made extremely stylish in your new setting. If you are not even a little bit talented in looking through magazines and library books for tips, you can get all kinds of help from professional decorators at various stores by simply purchasing a few accessory pieces to go with you "old" furniture. Also, there are a variety of businesses here that can take your high quality furniture and give them a whole new look with a professional quality finish you would be amazed to see ! Some are so beautiful and unique, "in style" (if that is important to you), that you would never believe it is a post manufacture finish!

You can pay 5K and up for a bedroom or dinning room ensemble from China or Vietnam, that does not even come close to what you may already have. Not arguing with others on here, just saying... give thought to ALL OPTIONS.

Last edited by Pairadocs; 01-14-2022 at 04:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-14-2022, 04:56 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,730 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndee@twc.com View Post
=Parker;641609]Beware the clever and sneaky water system salespeople! They will phone and mail solicitations under all sorts of fake identities, but when you question and press, they'll finally fess up to being water system sales. And they are relentless in their persistence. My father recently bought a house and he has been bombarded for two months now, despite repeatedly telling the phone soliciters 'No thanks', and throwing away the mail disguised as all sorts of government and official looking important papers. Geez, what an irritating group they are!
Write on the envelope RETURN TO SENDER and drop it in out going mail. If they send an envelope for a replay stuff the envelope with pieces of newspaper over stuff it and they will have to pay additional fees for over stuffed mail[/QUOTE]

Have also just sent back the envelopes empty... and, probably small but at least provides some addition to work/jobs. It is a shame that most businesses do not realize that the odds are VERY low that one would chose a hearing aid, or water "treatment" simply from a mass mailing... but apparently, HUNDREDS per week must think it pays ! NEVER EVER lived anywhere with the volume of door to door sales people as here ! Door to door people wanting to sell new "roofs" for.... "free"... ? Never lived any place like this before, not even other places in Florida !
Old 02-06-2022, 05:22 PM

We came for the lifestyles program (our 4th time) and purchased a house. We were busy for almost a full 8 days, negotiating the contract, finding insurance, buying or arranging for furniture, etc. We were already pre-approved for a loan, but that took additional time that we weren't expecting. Give yourself plenty of time. It took much longer than we expected.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:55 AM
Default Appliances

DO NOT BUY @APPLIANCE DIRECT
we purchased 4 appliances & the fridge was defective. In Oct 2 days after delivery the Fruitland Park store manager approved an exchange. He told us the Replacement wouldn't arrive till late Jan. He's no longer their & new mgr Anthony refuses to honor the agreement. Anthony was rude & aggressive when we went to the store. Appliance Direct is lying to BBB & won't answer my calls. Check their FB & you'll see other customers they scammed. Our oppinion is, as owner Sam Pak says, you're "waki nu nu" if you buy there.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:00 AM
Gold member
Thanked 2,147 Times in 746 Posts

Learn how to negotiate the roundabouts.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:03 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,298 Times in 536 Posts
Default Direct to Manufacture

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaids View Post
DO NOT BUY @APPLIANCE DIRECT
we purchased 4 appliances & the fridge was defective. In Oct 2 days after delivery the Fruitland Park store manager approved an exchange. He told us the Replacement wouldn't arrive till late Jan. He's no longer their & new mgr Anthony refuses to honor the agreement. Anthony was rude & aggressive when we went to the store. Appliance Direct is lying to BBB & won't answer my calls. Check their FB & you'll see other customers they scammed. Our oppinion is, as owner Sam Pak says, you're "waki nu nu" if you buy there.
We had a major issue with an appliance when we moved into our new home a few years ago. The Villages Warranty Department would not intervene and we contacted the Manufacturer direct. It took a letter to the CEO’S office and a couple of long phone calls but Whirlpool made it right. You might give the Manufacturer a call and a letter if you haven’t tried that approach. It’s frustrating when a business won’t do the right thing. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2022, 11:34 AM
Gold member
Default Golf Carts

Don’t pay too much for a golf cart. The Villages quoted me 18k and a 4 month wait just to get a Yamaha. Quiet Tech. I called a few places nearby and found the identical cart for 11,500 Daytona Beach ACE of Carts. I had to get the enclosure screen made at Luxus, but what a price difference. Take your time in that market.

Politics is made up of two words: "Poli," which is Greek for "many," and "tics," which are bloodsucking insects.—Gore Vidal
Old 03-06-2022, 12:58 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Don’t pay too much for a golf cart. The Villages quoted me 18k and a 4 month wait just to get a Yamaha. Quiet Tech. I called a few places nearby and found the identical cart for 11,500 Daytona Beach ACE of Carts. I had to get the enclosure screen made at Luxus, but what a price difference. Take your time in that market.
Was it brand new, 2022 ? Or was it a refurbished cart? If it's new who is going to do the warranty work?
Old 03-06-2022, 01:02 PM
Gold member
Default Brand New

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
Was it brand new, 2022 ? Or was it a refurbished cart? If it's new who is going to do the warranty work?
Yes, had .2 hours on it 2022 and 4 seater, deluxe lights, 88 inch top. I just adjusted the governor, but it was easy to do (factory set at about 11 mph/changed to 20 mph) one little bolt. We had to pick it up. Correct price was actually about 11500 according to the receipt.

Politics is made up of two words: "Poli," which is Greek for "many," and "tics," which are bloodsucking insects.—Gore Vidal
Old 03-06-2022, 01:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Yes, had .2 hours on it 2022 and 4 seater, deluxe lights, 88 inch top. I just adjusted the governor, but it was easy to do (factory set at about 11 mph/changed to 20 mph) one little bolt. We had to pick it up. Correct price was actually about 11500 according to the receipt.
Good deal, but did it come with a warranty and do you have to get it back there for service?
Old 03-06-2022, 01:15 PM
Gold member
Default Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
Good deal, but did it come with a warranty and do you have to get it back there for service?
We would have to take it back for service if we wanted to but there are at least 30 places around here that do that. I did change my oil at 5 hours (break in or something) because they said it needed to be done, but that was it except for the canopy at Luxus in Leesburg.

If you want really local with service, Country Village in Webster (outside of Wildwood) has the Quiet Tech from time to time at similar prices. We almost went there but wanted the blue color.

Last edited by Normal; 03-06-2022 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-06-2022, 01:26 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
We would have to take it back for service if we wanted to but there are at least 30 places around here that do that. I did change my oil at 5 hours (break in or something) because they said it needed to be done, but that was it except for the canopy at Luxus in Leesburg.
So no warranty? I'm curious if all Yamaha New Cart Dealers have to do warranty work even if the cart wasn't purchased there like new car dealers.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.